Started by City Hunter Yautja, Jul 09, 2021, 12:53:51 AM

Who is the Greater Trophy Hunter?

Jungle Hunter (Predator)
8 (57.1%)
City Hunter (Predator 2)
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author
Jungle Hunter vs City Hunter (Read 7,186 times)

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Time for the Moment of Truth.. who is the Greater Trophy Hunter?

Jungle Hunter

Stats:

Weapons:

Plasmacaster
Duo Wrist Blade/ Gauntlet Knives

Enemy: Elite Commandos

Pros: Faces Dutch (Arnold) one on one. Successfully self destructs. Only use gauntlet knives and fist when not using Plasmacaster.

Cons: Kills most of his prey from afar, only killing Shane Black without using a Plasmacastee. He tries to kill Dutch many times with the Plasmacaster when Dutch has no rifles or explosives left.

City Hunter

Stats:

Weapons:

Plasmacaster
Duo Wrist Blades/ Gauntlet Knives
Combistick
Smartdisc
Harpoon Scorpion Blade Wrist launcher
Net Gun

Pros: Kills dozens upon dozens of drug lords, armed commuters, cops, and etc at close range. Hardly uses Plasmacaster.

Cons: He doesn't successfully self destruct. Loses his arm and dies from his own Smartdisc that Mike stole from him.

Its a tough call, both are opposites. City Hunter isn't facing Elite Commando Special Forces, but he compensates for this by not relying on his Plasmacaster and getting up close and fighting with bladed weapons. The Jungle Hunter diminishes the glory of his trophies by killing most of the Commandos from afar with the Plasmacaster.

Jungle is distance killer, City is close killer.

Who is Greater Trophy Hunter? Vote.

Kradan

Kradan

City Hunter

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 09, 2021, 12:53:51 AM
Its a tough call, both are opposites. City Hunter isn't facing Elite Commando Special Forces, but he compensates for this by not relying on his Plasmacaster and getting up close and fighting with bladed weapons. The Jungle Hunter diminishes the glory of his trophies by killing most of the Commandos from afar with the Plasmacaster.

Jungle is distance killer, City is close killer.

Who is Greater Trophy Hunter? Vote.

Huh, never thought of it that way. Good observation

SiL

SiL

Jungle Hunter. He's more of a hunter, stalking his prey, disabling them, keeping himself hidden and safe.

City Hunter is reckless and needlessly endangers himself repeatedly.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

In the terms of being the "Greater Trophy Hunter", I'll give it to City Hunter, because he's so damn ballsy... plus he took a hell of a licking, but kept on ticking!

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SiL on Jul 09, 2021, 06:49:58 AM
Jungle Hunter. He's more of a hunter, stalking his prey, disabling them, keeping himself hidden and safe.

City Hunter is reckless and needlessly endangers himself repeatedly.

Your first paragraph has great merit. What does a good hunter do? Kill its prey with minimal danger to itself, like a lion that goes for juglar of a horned prey.

That being said, Trophy Hunting is very different. It is the aim of killing something not for food but for glory and perhaps its properties, like an elephant for its ivory. So City Hunter is definately collecting trophies, I mean the volume of kills is staggering in Predator 2.

If the films indicated the Yautja/ Predators need human meat to survive, that we are their venison, then Jungle Hunter is the wiser hunter, but both Predator and Predator 2 make it clear its trophy hunting, they are collecting our skulls which is involved in their honor culture of proving themselves.

City Hunter collects way more skulls than Jungle Hunter.

Is City Hunter's style reckless? I'd say no, he wants to make the killing more honorable, and this brings up something I ruminated on; the Predators have invented the only means of using bladed weapons in a modern world full of guns. If either Jungle or City were to charge enemies without their cloaking device, they'd end up like City Hunter, full of lower torso holes or worse. The Cameo flag allows them to get close enough to use a sword, spear, knife and etc. This is ingenious, it allows the way of the Samurai or Knight to survive in modern times, to be able to get close enough to use a melee weapon on someone packing a gun. At first I thought it was Shinobi inspired, cloak and dagger, but now I see its the only practical way to allow dueling and killing with blades in a world with modern weapons.     

SiL

SiL

QuoteCity Hunter collects way more skulls than Jungle Hunter.
We see him take exactly one more skull. Jungle Hunter takes Billy's, City Hunter takes King Willie and Lambert's.

If you look at it as a ratio of kills to trophies taken, Jungle Hunter takes the cake. City Hunter slaughters a lot of "unworthy" opponents before getting to anything worthwhile.

(I'm only going by skulls we see taken during the film; we see Jungle Hunter has three skulls, and there are three human skulls in the trophy cabinet at the end of P2. Even if City Hunter got Lambert's skull in place, he's still only one up.)

EDIT

Man, now I'm thinking about kill to skull ratios.

We can reasonably assume the skulls Jungle Hunter has on him are from his current hunt. It'd be a bit weird to just carry around some extra skulls. The trophy cabinet feels communal, as it's in an open space, and we have no idea if the other two human skulls are from this hunt.

But let's assume they are.

Even if we include Hopper and his men, Jungle Hunter got 3 skulls from about 11 people (assuming Hopper was also a 6-man team). For every 4 people he kills, he takes approximately one trophy. If he'd killed Dutch, that number would go to an even 3:1 kill to trophy ratio. If we don't add Hopper's team, that's about a  2:1 ratio.

According to this link, City Hunter kills a whopping 28 people over the course of the film. Yet our most generous estimate is 4 skulls, dropping the kill-to-trophy ratio to just 7:1. That number gets a little closer to 6:1 if he killed Harrigan and took his skull.

So City Hunter definitely leaves a larger pile of corpses, but Jungle Hunter is clearly a man of discerning taste and knows how to pick his targets much better. He doesn't waste as much time or energy on low-value targets.

If you throw darts at a board long enough, you're guaranteed by chance to hit the target eventually. But hitting the target through aim and precision is what makes you the better player.

Quotehe wants to make the killing more honorable,
Still not sure what was ever honourable about slaughtering panicky old ladies in a confined, darkened space.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: SiL on Jul 09, 2021, 10:09:36 PM
QuoteCity Hunter collects way more skulls than Jungle Hunter.
We see him take exactly one more skull. Jungle Hunter takes Billy's, City Hunter takes King Willie and Lambert's.

If you look at it as a ratio of kills to trophies taken, Jungle Hunter takes the cake. City Hunter slaughters a lot of "unworthy" opponents before getting to anything worthwhile.

(I'm only going by skulls we see taken during the film; we see Jungle Hunter has three skulls, and there are three human skulls in the trophy cabinet at the end of P2. Even if City Hunter got Lambert's skull in place, he's still only one up.)

EDIT

Man, now I'm thinking about kill to skull ratios.

We can reasonably assume the skulls Jungle Hunter has on him are from his current hunt. It'd be a bit weird to just carry around some extra skulls. The trophy cabinet feels communal, as it's in an open space, and we have no idea if the other two human skulls are from this hunt.

But let's assume they are.

Even if we include Hopper and his men, Jungle Hunter got 3 skulls from about 11 people (assuming Hopper was also a 6-man team). For every 4 people he kills, he takes approximately one trophy. If he'd killed Dutch, that number would go to an even 3:1 kill to trophy ratio. If we don't add Hopper's team, that's about a  2:1 ratio.

According to this link, City Hunter kills a whopping 28 people over the course of the film. Yet our most generous estimate is 4 skulls, dropping the kill-to-trophy ratio to just 7:1. That number gets a little closer to 6:1 if he killed Harrigan and took his skull.

So City Hunter definitely leaves a larger pile of corpses, but Jungle Hunter is clearly a man of discerning taste and knows how to pick his targets much better. He doesn't waste as much time or energy on low-value targets.

If you throw darts at a board long enough, you're guaranteed by chance to hit the target eventually. But hitting the target through aim and precision is what makes you the better player.

Quotehe wants to make the killing more honorable,
Still not sure what was ever honourable about slaughtering panicky old ladies in a confined, darkened space.

I really enjoyed reading your analysis. You make some great points, especially about what trophies we see Jungle or City actually handling on screen.

In defense of City, his skull stash likely was incomplete. He definitely got one or two on board the ship, but he did not have enough time to clear the train trophies or penthouse ones because of Fed and police interference at the scene of his kills, nor at the Slaughterhouse. Jungle had killed and collected all skulls but Dutch, there was nothing interfering with his hunt.

The old lady was armed as seen in the scene when the commuter with glasses freaks. Anyone armed is fair game for a Yautja to kill. Dutch even mentions this out loud in Predator.

SiL

SiL

That kind of just makes him an even worse trophy hunter -  he constantly engages with targets he knows he'll have to abandon. It feels a lot more like he's there for the thrill of the kill than the thrill of the hunt. Trophies almost fell like an afterthought to the whole process.

Armed or not, it's not "honourable" in the least to kill a frightened old lady in a confined space. It's barely even sporting, which Dutch specifies as why being armed is important.

City Hunter Yautja

Well to be fair City Hunyer is in a more dangerious hunt where he is in urban environments he can get trapped in and be hit by crossfire. In this way he is more brave, he is leaping into a meat grinder, while Jungle hangs back on a tree casting plasma.

Jungle was dealing with isolated commandos, City can have large squads of cops, Feds, and even Army personal show up; in addition to these he has druglords, gangs, and angry commuters who take shots at him. City is in thick of it, risking his life for the glory of the hunt.

I concede killing a scared old lady is dark, but did he kill her? He placed his hand on her in infared, but he did more than that to Leona by raising her in air and choaking her but not killing her. Again both women were armed, and thus a threat.

SiL

SiL

The old women are hanging upside down, strung up by the Predator.

How much of a threat were they, really? I feel it's a stretch. Was a little old granny with a pistol as much of a threat as Blaine?

There are many opportunities for targets to be isolated, or at least less risky - we see them throughout the film, and the Predator even makes several kills in this fashion. The film actually shows is not necessary to slaughter so many people in crowded situations.

Jungle Hunter targets high value, dangerous game. Any one of the commandos is more dangerous than the gangbangers, cops, or random civilians the City Hunter throws itself at.

I think a low kill to trophy ratio and consistently more challenging prey shows Jungle Hunter is the more serious trophy hunter, and City Hunter is a butcher who occasionally scores a decent kill.

City Hunter Yautja

I do admit Commandos are higher level kills, however I say its a stretch to claim the City Hunter is a butcher. He has descended into a den of blood: gangs, druglords, angry commuters, and cops. Until he kills Danny and Lambart, he is actually serving the interests of Law Enforcement.

As for old lady, I didn't see he strung up. That is excessive, but again I reiterate if someone is armed the Predator is cleared to kill. Actually the Jungle Hunter violates this code by using his wrist blades in his one on one with Dutch who has no weapon; this is when Jungle punches the living day lights out of Dutch.

SiL

SiL

The honour code you refer to isn't really in the movies. They show the Predators are out for sport, not honour - again, Dutch says there's no sport in shooting Anna, and Keyes likens them to big game hunters, not honourable warriors. There's nothing honourable about shooting someone in the back.

Not that that's even a strict code. There's nothing really honourable or sporting about Dutch and Jungle Hunter's last fight. Dutch is physically incapable of harming the Predator hand to hand. It's basically savouring the kill and drawing out the victory - not terribly honourable, and of questionable sport.

The City Hunter kills en masse, regardless of whether the targets are suitable for trophy taking. He attacks anything with a pulse and a weapon. He taunts his prey and engages in psychological torture against Harrigan.

This suggests to me that trophies aren't his main concern, whereas Jungle Hunter seems exclusively preoccupied with taking a piece of everyone.

Immortan Jonesy

City Hunter is quite a psychopath.  :laugh:

Yautja888

Yautja888

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2021, 12:25:37 PM
The honour code you refer to isn't really in the movies. They show the Predators are out for sport, not honour - again, Dutch says there's no sport in shooting Anna, and Keyes likens them to big game hunters, not honourable warriors. There's nothing honourable about shooting someone in the back.

Not that that's even a strict code. There's nothing really honourable or sporting about Dutch and Jungle Hunter's last fight. Dutch is physically incapable of harming the Predator hand to hand. It's basically savouring the kill and drawing out the victory - not terribly honourable, and of questionable sport.

The City Hunter kills en masse, regardless of whether the targets are suitable for trophy taking. He attacks anything with a pulse and a weapon. He taunts his prey and engages in psychological torture against Harrigan.

Amen.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jul 10, 2021, 12:25:37 PM

Again, I would say you're falling into the trap of fitting everything into your version of honor, and not theirs. I challenge you to try to get out of your own headspace and into theirs. Even how honor is perceived and acted upon in some parts of the Middle East could often challenge your ideals. But it's honorable or dishonorable to them.

The honor code has always been the intent of the Thomas Brothers and to me it has been 100% depicted. The Thomas Brothers explained Predator 2 is the "bible" for the Predator character.

To the creators, the Predators are a race of sports hunters. They do have a system of honor and code, per them. Like American hunters believe they have honor, when they go to church on Sundays after slaughtering defenseless animals with high powered weapons in camouflage on Saturdays.

You may question hunting deer or bear from trees in camouflage clothing using high powered scoped rifles ... "They don't fight fair! Where's the honor in that?" I do too. But to an American Hunter, it's not a question. The kill during the day, and kiss their children goodnight, living "honorable" lives. If the deer could reason, I'm certain they would see human hunters as psychopathic killers, even if they follow a code by not shooting the young or pregnant. So it is important to get out of your headspace, and into theirs.

This intent made it into the film crystal clear, especially when not just the Elder, but the whole tribe spared Mike Harrigan after he killed one of their own... and they even rewarded him for it!

It was crystal clear in the film when an armed trained police officer Leona was spared from being killed because she was pregnant.

Some to me ridiculously argue that it's some sort of population control, even though the intent, even though it still qualifies as an honor code regardless... but by what Peter Keyes says in regards to how little Predators visit our planet, I don't think Predators will have to fear that killing one pregnant woman armed cop would impact the survival of the human species. It's following an honor code, i.e. their standard of conduct, any way you look at it.

Sparing the child in the cemetery. Sparing the unarmed. Sparing Anna if it's perceived as sport or not is still following a code. Even finding Dutch worthy enough to challenge him in weaponless combat, is all depictions of an honor code. Get into that Yautja headspace y'all! :)

Even, in regards to the detonation, I see that as the Predators do not want their body or especially their tech discovered. The devastating impact of leaving that behind would be so much worse than any unwanted deaths it may cause in its radius. - It's like when humans hunt bears with spears, they bring along a gun just in case. Because after a point, it gets to a point, where all bets are off

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Jul 10, 2021, 12:34:50 PM
City Hunter is quite a psychopath.  :laugh:

He was definitely written as reckless and a rule breaker. You might like this. I wrote about it here, and hope to eventually turn it into an article someday soon!  :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61579.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed