Vince Gilligan's Next Show

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Aug 10, 2022, 07:20:44 PM

Author
Vince Gilligan's Next Show (Read 528 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Vince Gilligan Prepping New Series; 'Better Call Saul' Followup About To Hit TV Marketplace With A Bang

QuoteEXCLUSIVE: As Better Call Saul is coming to an end, series co-creator — and Breaking Bad creator — Vince Gilligan is ready for what comes next. And once again, for his next drama project he is going with a wholly original idea. No one would comment, but there is a lot of anticipation in the marketplace for the pitch, which is expected to come out in the next couple of weeks, with at least 8-9 networks and platforms lined up to hear it.

I hear the new project, which comes from Sony Pictures TV where Gilligan has been under an overall deal for a long time, is a departure from the world of drugs and crime he explored in Breaking Bad and its prequel, Better Call Saul, whose series finale airs Aug 15. Word is that the new show harkens back to Gilligan's tenure on The X-Files. But don't expect a sci-fi drama — when he was a writer-producer on The X-Files, Gilligan was known for focusing more on the human condition in his episodes, which is something he is said to also be doing in his new series, exploring similar themes of bending reality while holding a mirror to humanity.

Described as a blended, grounded genre drama, the new series also is being compared to The Twilight Zone. It is said to be set in our world while putting a tweak on it, focusing on people and exploring the human condition in an unexpected, surprising way.

Thought-provoking but not a morality tale, the new show is expected to carry the signature Gilligan tone that infuses drama with humor.

Like he often does with his original creations, Gilligan has written material that is accompanying the pitch, giving buyers a sense of what the new project would look like. I hear it is envisioned to play over a couple of seasons with an overreaching story arc.

One of the most celebrated TV creators of his generation, Gilligan created and executive produced AMC's acclaimed Breaking Bad, which won two Emmys for Outstanding Drama Series. He is co-creator/executive producer, alongside Peter Gould, of the Breaking Bad prequel Better Call Saul, which also has been an awards juggernaut, amassing 46 Emmy nominations to date, seven of them this year, including Outstanding Drama Series. Gilligan also earned multiple Emmy nominations for his work on The X-Files. He is repped by CAA, Stories Media Group and Del Shaw Moonves Tanaka.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/vince-gilligan-new-drama-series-genre-better-call-saul-followup-x-files-1235089196/

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Vince Gilligan Sets Up Series at Apple Starring 'Better Call Saul' Alum Rhea Seehorn

QuoteVince Gilligan's next series has landed at Apple with a two-season straight-to-series order.

In addition, "Better Call Saul" star Rhea Seehorn is attached to star in the series in the lead role. Exact plot details are being kept under wraps.

Gilligan created the series and will serve as executive producer and showrunner. Jeff Frost and Diane Mercer will also executive produce. Jenn Carroll of Gilligan's High Bridge Productions will produce. Sony Pictures Television, which also produced "Breaking Bad" and "Better Call Saul," is the studio behind the series. Gilligan is currently under an overall deal at Sony.

The series reunites Gilligan with Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, the heads of worldwide video at Apple who previously worked as the co-presidents of Sony Pictures Television. Gilligan will also be reuniting with Chris Parnell, another former Sony TV co-president who departed the studio in 2020 for a senior programming role at Apple.

"After fifteen years, I figured it was time to take a break from writing antiheroes... and who's more heroic than the brilliant Rhea Seehorn?" Gilligan said in a statement. "It's long past time she had her own show, and I feel lucky to get to work on it with her. And what nice symmetry to be reunited with Zack Van Amburg, Jamie Erlicht and Chris Parnell! Jamie and Zack were the first two people to say yes to 'Breaking Bad' all those years ago. They've built a great team at Apple, and my wonderful, long-time partners at Sony Pictures Television and I are excited to be in business with them."

There had been considerable speculation about what Gilligan would do next following the conclusion of "Better Call Saul." The series, which served as a "Breaking Bad" prequel centered on shady attorney Saul Goodman, recently aired its sixth and final season at AMC.

Seehorn starred in "Better Call Saul" throughout its run as Kim Wexler and recently earned an Emmy nomination for her work on the show's fifth season. Her other credits include "Veep," "Franklin and Bash," and "Whitney."

She is repped by Untitled Entertainment, UTA, and Viewpoint. Gilligan is repped by CAA and Del Shaw Moonves Tanaka.

Seehorn is the latest "Better Call Saul" star to set up a new series. It was previously announced that Bob Odenkirk would lead the AMC series "Straight Man," while Giancarlo Esposito will star in the drama "Parish" (formerly "The Driver") also for AMC.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/vince-gilligan-apple-series-rhea-seehorn-1235380950/

Oh my God, I am SO in.

Cosmic Incubation

I'll watch pretty much anything Vince Gilligan puts out. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are masterpieces of television. I'm definitely already on-board as well, but if it's even a lil scifi related then I'll be extra into it! Comparisons to The Twilight Zone definitely sounds exciting.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/rheaseehorn/status/1573050379264147456

I hope this means that Peter Gould is involved:

https://twitter.com/petergould/status/1573038864372928512

Jenn Caroll and Diane Mercer are two mainstay Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul producers that are confirmed to be returning in the article.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1709976766998057346

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/vince-gilligan-new-show-details-rhea-seehorn-ai-breaking-bad-1235745560/

Here's the stuff relevant to this new series:

QuoteNow that the WGA strike is over, what's the status on your upcoming series starring Rhea Seehorn?

We're back to work. We're officially back in the writers room on Monday. I'm spending most of my time in New Mexico, because I live here now. But when I go back [to Los Angeles], we're going to reopen the writers room for the first couple of weeks in person. When the strike hit, we were very close to the end of breaking the first season. So we're going to go back and finish the second-to-last episode and then get to work on the last episode. We lost a lot of momentum, certainly. I can't even remember where we were exactly. So I'm going to be spending this week reading through previous episodes and old notes to figure out where we stand. We're looking forward to getting back to work. We would have been shooting already if it weren't for the strike. The strike was a sad necessity, and we're all glad that it's behind us. I'm a little sorry that we'll be in the teeth of winter here in Albuquerque when we finally do shoot. So that's not going to be fun — it'll be way below freezing and it's supposed to be a rainy winter here, too.

And you're returning to sci-fi.

Yeah! I wouldn't call this heavy science fiction, I would call it mild science fiction. But it does have a sci-fi element to it, at its core. And there's no crime, and no methamphetamine. It's going to be fun and different. I have no prediction as to how folks to react to it — whether they'll love it or hate it, or somewhere in the vast in-between. But I know it's a story that interests me, and Rhea will be playing a very different character than she played on "Saul." The weird thing is that it takes place in Albuquerque, except it's a whole different world. There's no overlap that I can see. She's playing a character who is not Kim Wexler, but hopefully people will roll with that. I'm nervous. It'll be interesting to see how folks react to it.

Can you tease anything about the plot?

The world changes very abruptly in the first episode, and then it is quite different. It's the modern world — the world we live in — but it changes very abruptly. And the consequences that that reaps hopefully provide drama for many, many episodes after that.

The whole article is very much worth a read, though. Lots of excellent discussion about Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and the Writer's Strike/current AI situation as well.

Nightmare Asylum

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1747048734914208112

Rhea Seehorn talks about the show in the last minute of this interview.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed