Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel'

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Jul 22, 2019, 09:20:09 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel' (Read 154,453 times)

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 24, 2021, 04:11:15 PM
The Times review says that the film quite literally spells it out who is telling the truth. Like literally text on the screen.

I was expecting this. Rashomon and The Last Duel have one thing in common: story told from different perspectives. However Kurosawa's film (and fictional story) is above all about ambiguity when Scott's is based upon true events (no matter how vague they were). Just imagine if they chose to go 100% Rashomon's path. Audience wouldn't know if she had been truly raped or not. The press would roast them. Too dicey move.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 24, 2021, 05:47:54 PM
Just imagine if they chose to go 100% Rashomon's path. Audience wouldn't know if she had been truly raped or not. The press would roast them. Too dicey move.

That's why I was so disappointed. I was really looking forward to the fallout from this. It would have been like 1386 all over again. :D

Atram

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 24, 2021, 05:47:54 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 24, 2021, 04:11:15 PM
The Times review says that the film quite literally spells it out who is telling the truth. Like literally text on the screen.

I was expecting this. Rashomon and The Last Duel have one thing in common: story told from different perspectives. However Kurosawa's film (and fictional story) is above all about ambiguity when Scott's is based upon true events (no matter how vague they were). Just imagine if they chose to go 100% Rashomon's path. Audience wouldn't know if she had been truly raped or not. The press would roast them. Too dicey move.
To me it sounds a lot better the way they chose.

Andrea90

Is a final trailer arriving?  ::)

Z Digg

Quote from: Andrea90 on Sep 27, 2021, 05:09:20 PM
Is a final trailer arriving?  ::)
I don't think there will be another full length trailer, just small clips and teasers.
Hope I am wrong though I'm desperate for more footage  ;D

Stolen

We need a final full action trailer!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Films of this size usually have at least 2 trailers.

Quote from: Empire MagazineRidley Scott continues to burn a relentless path through the film industry with not one, but two films out at the tail end of 2021. First up is historical drama The Last Duel, which hits cinemas in October, followed by House Of Gucci, is a scorching tale of family, violence and deceit told amidst the opulent world of high fashion.

Adam Driver links both films, playing real-life knight Jacques Le Gris in The Last Duel and Maurizio Gucci in House Of Gucci – but also noteworthy in the first film are Matt Damon's fellow knight Jean De Carrouges and his wife, Jodie Comer's Marguerite De Carrouges, who accuses Le Gris of raping her while her husband is away on duty. Scott is no stranger to compelling female characters (and he brought Can You Ever Forgive Me? screenwriter Nicole Holofcener on board for this script to dig even deeper), but The Last Duel nods to the person who started it all off for him more than ever.

Speaking with Empire as part of the new Ghostbusters Celebration issue, Scott reveals his inspiration for Comer's character, and by extension all the female characters in his body of work. "I think it boils down to a woman in my life who was 4' 11". My mother," he says. "She was the boss, without f**king question. She would drive us relentlessly. We virtually saluted every morning."

Scott has received some fallout online over the predominantly male filmmakers who have come together to tell this particularly gendered story, in spite of the director turning in female-led films like Thelma & Louise and Alien. "They've got to look at my bio," the filmmaker says. "The most powerful pro-woman film that I made was G.I. Jane. People forget that for some reason."

Scott will work with Comer again on Kitbag, a historical biopic of Napoleon Bonaparte with Joaquin Phoenix signed on to play the French emperor. Until then, you can read about his work on The Last Duel, House Of Gucci and his broader, unwavering career at large, ​​in Empire's Ghostbusters Celebration issue – on newsstands from Thursday 30 September, and available to pre-order online here. The Last Duel will be in UK and US cinemas on 15 October.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empiremoviesnewsridley-scott-credits-mother-as-inspiration-for-female-characters/

BlueMarsalis79

People try to forget G.I. Jane.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quiet you!  :laugh:

If you don't like [this movie] then you've got to be crazy. - Ridley Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJsWl5s6RUA

Kradan

Why can't I hear anything ?

Kradan

All I hear is white noise

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Try turning on the subtitles then.

Anyone else have this problem?

Z Digg

If there is a second trailer coming, could we expect it to drop this week?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed