Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel'

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Jul 22, 2019, 09:20:09 PM

Author
Ridley Scott to direct 'The Last Duel' (Read 154,337 times)

Ingwar

Scott mentioned once that he loves Killing Eve.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 26, 2019, 08:05:48 PM
Scott mentioned once that he loves Killing Eve.

Killing Eve sounds almost like that Turkish Airlines short-film he did:

QuoteThe series follows Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh), a British intelligence investigator tasked with capturing psychopathic assassin Villanelle (Jodie Comer); as the chase progresses, the two develop a mutual obsession.

Anyway, that's obviously where he saw Comer then. Sounds like Scott is just forging ahead doing location scouting and casting for a film that hasn't even been greenlit yet.  :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Jodie Comer confirms that she has accepted the role in Scott's new film:

https://twitter.com/MTVNEWS/status/1181687210220933120

I must say that I am a bit puzzled by all the twits on Twitter getting their knickers in a knot over the premise of this film. Why is it so highly "controversial"? Are they not aware that this story is based on a real-life event and that social norms were a wee bit different in medieval times?  ???

Ingwar

Ingwar

I think it has something to do with Affleck making joke (did he really because I'm not sure what happened) about harassment allegation few years ago.

Anyway, it seems like it's gonna be next Ridley's project for real. I need to read that book.

Also ...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7274649/Matt-Damon-spotted-leaving-Ben-Afflecks-home-Duel-book.html

It reminds me of this

I'm glad Matt has read/still reading the book because Scott won't :) He didn't even read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (which didn't really stop him from making masterpiece). I'm also glad that Matt is working with Ridley again which probably will be used to promote the movie considering they succeeded previously with The Martian.

Question: who's going to be the baddie rapists? Damon or Affleck?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteQuestion: who's going to be the baddie rapists? Damon or Affleck?

Damon is slightly older than Affleck so he might possibly play the knight (Jean de Carrouges) and Affleck the squire (Jacques Le Gris) who is also the rapist. A "squire" back then was a knight's apprentice and was usually much younger than his master.

But then again, there's only about two years difference in age between Damon and Affleck so it could equally well be the other way around I suppose.  :-\

QuoteI think it has something to do with Affleck making joke (did he really because I'm not sure what happened) about harassment allegation few years ago.

I don't know, it sounds like a lot of SJW's have a beef with the plot itself. Read through the comments on that twitter post above for some examples.

QuoteI'm glad Matt has read/still reading the book because Scott won't :) He didn't even read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Scott said he tried to read DADoES but couldn't finish it. The thing with that was, was that when he signed up to do Blade Runner (or whatever it was called at that point - I think it was just simply called "Android") Fancher already had a good script that was already veering from the book. And when Scott came on with his own ideas it veered even further making the book kind of redundant at that stage.

I remember though, Scott said in an interview that he didn't read The Martian because he didn't want to "meddle" with the script. So no idea if this could be the case here as well. I would imagine that Damon would be reading it (as pictured) since he is one of the three script writers on this.  :)

QuoteI'm also glad that Matt is working with Ridley again which probably will be used to promote the movie considering they succeeded previously with The Martian.

Yeah, Matt also campaigned hard for an Oscar for Ridley on The Martian. Though I doubt the Oscar people would even look at this considering it's already considered "controversial" without even a single frame of film being shot yet.

Kradan

Quote from: Ingwar on Jul 22, 2019, 09:38:30 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 22, 2019, 09:31:28 PM
Ridley Scott started his film career with the The Duellists, it would be ironic if The Last Duel were to be his last movie

:'(

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 09, 2019, 09:42:23 PM
QuoteI think it has something to do with Affleck making joke (did he really because I'm not sure what happened) about harassment allegation few years ago.

I don't know, it sounds like a lot of SJW's have a beef with the plot itself. Read through the comments on that twitter post above for some examples.

Man, I stopped reading twitter posts ages ago. I cannot handle it anymore :) I'm leftist by some people cross the line and it becomes comical. Let snowflakes whinge. I disconnected myself from social media. Don't have facebook, twitter and instagram. AvP is the only place I visit!

QuoteQuestion: who's going to be the baddie rapists? Damon or Affleck?

Damon is slightly older than Affleck so he might possibly play the knight (Jean de Carrouges) and Affleck the squire (Jacques Le Gris) who is also the rapist. A "squire" back then was a knight's apprentice and was usually much younger than his master.

But then again, there's only about two years difference in age between Damon and Affleck so it could equally well be the other way around I suppose.  :-\

Also? I though there was only one rapist.

QuoteThe gripping, atmospheric true story of the "duel to end all duels" in medieval France: a trial by combat pitting a knight against a squire accused of violating the knight's beautiful young wife.

I would like to see Damon playing the squire. He did great job in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Besides Affleck looks more knightly than him.

PS I just ordered the book ;D

QuoteI'm also glad that Matt is working with Ridley again which probably will be used to promote the movie considering they succeeded previously with The Martian.

Yeah, Matt also campaigned hard for an Oscar for Ridley on The Martian. Though I doubt the Oscar people would even look at this considering it's already considered "controversial" without even a single frame of film being shot yet.

Time will tell but it might be opposite reaction since script was written by Nicole Holofcener who knows how to write. She received Academy Award nomination for Adapted Screenplay and won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018). Also Ridley is well known for his strong female characters which will probably happen it this case. As Jodie Comer herself said:

QuoteTo work with Ridley, it's just insane. When I read the script, I loved the script. The character is this remarkable woman who risked her own life and reclaimed her life in the process and I'm so excited, honestly.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 10, 2019, 10:37:41 AM
Man, I stopped reading twitter posts ages ago. I cannot handle it anymore :) I'm leftist by some people cross the line and it becomes comical. Let snowflakes whinge. I disconnected myself from social media. Don't have facebook, twitter and instagram. AvP is the only place I visit!

That sounds like good advice, my eyes are starting to hurt from rolling them all the time. Facebook I generally avoid anyway and Instagram is mostly just pictures.  :laugh:

QuoteAlso? I though there was only one rapist

What I meant was that Affleck might play the squire who raped his master's wife.

QuoteTime will tell but it might be opposite reaction since script was written by Nicole Holofcener who knows how to write. She received Academy Award nomination for Adapted Screenplay and won the Writers Guild of America Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018). Also Ridley is well known for his strong female characters which will probably happen it this case.

Well, that's good to know, Scott usually makes a good movie if he has a good script to base it on. The Academy awards people are generally still a bit skittish about anything that slightly smacks of controversy but maybe Scott & Co. can make this work.

PS. Did Jodie Comer just drop a massive spoiler with that quote you gave? Now we know who's going to win the duel.  :-\

Ingwar

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 10, 2019, 03:38:30 PM
PS. Did Jodie Comer just drop a massive spoiler with that quote you gave? Now we know who's going to win the duel.  :-\

Yeah, it looks like ;D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Well that's a switch...  :-\

Quote from: VarietyAdam Driver is in early talks to co-star opposite Matt Damon in Disney-Fox's "The Last Duel," a period drama from director Ridley Scott.

Sources tell Variety that Ben Affleck, who originally eyed what would be Driver's leading role, will now appear in a supporting part along with "Killing Eve" actress Jodie Comer.

Set in 14th century France, the movie is an epic tale of betrayal and justice, told from three distinct points of view: two knights (Damon and Driver) whose bond is tested by treachery and a young woman (Comer) forced to navigate the brutal and oppressive culture of the era in order to survive.

When news first broke that Damon and Affleck would be appearing in a film together for the first time since "Good Will Hunting," many assumed Affleck would take on the role of Damon's friend, though neither the studio nor reps for either actor would confirm. Insiders now confirm to Variety that Affleck will assume a supporting role instead due to scheduling conflicts with New Regency's "Deep Water," which he had already signed on to.

Disney and Fox have not yet greenlit the film and are still deciding how to proceed. If it does get the go-ahead, "The Last Duel" should begin production in early 2020.

Nicole Holofcener ("Can You Ever Forgive Me?," "Enough Said") is co-writing the script with Damon and Affleck. The duo will also produce along with Scott and his filmmaking partner Kevin Walsh. Drew Vinton is also producing for Pearl Street Films, and Madison Ainsley will executive produce.

Driver is having a massive fall with critically acclaimed roles in Netflix's "Marriage Story" and Sony Classics' drama "The Report," both of which could have him in the Oscar race. He is also set to reprise his portrayal of Kylo Ren in the final installment in the Skywalker saga "Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker."

He is repped by Gersh and Affleck is repped by WME.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/adam-driver-ridley-scott-last-duel-matt-damon-1203365229/

Ingwar

I think that's a great news. Prefer Adam than Affleck anytime. It's getting better and better.

PS I'm nearly half-way through the book and it's really interesting. Very layered story about friendship and its bitter end, love, envy, loyalty plus historic medieval reality.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, Ben also had those two sexual allegation charges against him a while back like you mentioned earlier. Might have been a bit uncomfortable if he were to play the rapist.

Adam will likely play the rapey squire then since he is much younger than Damon. Although having read a bit of the book it looks like a "squire" later became it's own rank in the late Middle Ages. So it wasn't necessarily a young lad apprenticed to a knight anymore. It's like a Corporal vs a Sergeant (army) or a Commander vs a Captain (Navy).

Ingwar

Ingwar

You're right regarding squire status in the dark ages. Also according to the book

Spoiler
Jean de Carrouges (he became the knight after he had come back from the voyages in Scotland) and Jacques Le Gris as squires were quite rich.
[close]

I just checked wikipedia and there's loads of stuff about them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Carrouges
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Le_Gris

Also:

QuoteThe film is a revenge story focusing on a pair of knights in 14th Century France. One of the knights returns from war, when his wife (Comer) reveals that the other knight sexually assaulted her.

Well,

Spoiler
it ain't true as Le Gris raped Jean's wife while de Carrouges was already in France with his wife. He travelled to Paris to claim some money.
[close]

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 22, 2019, 10:32:03 PM
I just checked wikipedia and there's loads of stuff about them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_de_Carrouges
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Le_Gris
Interesting, their actual birthdates seem to be unknown, both were born in the 1330's. It does say that de Carrouges was born in the late 1330's though, so it's possible for Le Gris to be older. So it could equally well be Driver who will play the Knight (de Carrouges) and Damon the Squire (Le Gris).

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 22, 2019, 10:32:03 PM

QuoteThe film is a revenge story focusing on a pair of knights in 14th Century France. One of the knights returns from war, when his wife (Comer) reveals that the other knight sexually assaulted her.

Well,

Spoiler
it ain't true as Le Gris raped Jean's wife while de Carrouges was already in France with his wife. He travelled to Paris to claim some money.
[close]

Yeah, they also say two Knights instead of a Knight and a Squire. Bad summary.

Quote from: Ingwar on Oct 22, 2019, 09:42:10 PM
PS I'm nearly half-way through the book and it's really interesting. Very layered story about friendship and its bitter end, love, envy, loyalty plus historic medieval reality.

It's also quite a well researched book, ten years in the making:

It sounds like a reasonably small and contained story. Are there any large scale battles or sieges like in Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood? Would it be suitable for a mid-budget ($60-80 million) film? It would certainly be fun to watch the two combatants (and their horses) jousting in full plate armour given Ridley Scott's flair for period detail. Unsurprisingly, I see Dariusz Wolski is also listed as cinematographer on IMDb. Wonder if Arthur Max will sign-on as production designer given his interest in Medieval period movies?

Interestingly, in Kingdom of Heaven there was kind of an unintentional nod to this story. While in the forests of France, Odo, the Germanic barbarian (who is a very close student of the law  :)) invokes the right to trail-by-combat in order to resolve a dispute.

Ingwar

Ingwar

According to the book Le Gries was about the same age as Carrouges but I don't think it really matters at the end as this is just an adaptation of the book.

When it comes to than summary it might be in the movie (if it happens) as they will probably shorten the story to make it more dramatic.

Spoiler
Carrouges fighting in Scotland while his wife being raped is better option than him travelling to Paris to collect some money.
[close]

Any battles or sieges? Quote from the book:

Spoiler
Quote(...) Jean de Carrouges decided to leave Normandy for a while and seek wealth and advancement abroad by joining a French military expedition to Scotland. The expedition, launched in May 1385, was commissioned by the king of France. An army of French knights and men-at-arms would sail to Edinburgh, join forces there with Scots, and then march south to slash and burn their way through English lands, plundering towns and castles and destroying farms and villages just as crops were ripening for harvest,

(...) The combined army of French and Scots, about five thousands strong, finally march from Edinburgh in early July. (...) Eventually they called a halt at Wark, a fortress build on a rocky outcrop above the Tweed.

Reconstruction of Wark Castle

[close]

What I like about this story is that it's not black and white. Sure, Le Gries raped his friend wife which was bloody horrible but what Carrogues did in Scotland was
Spoiler
savage as f**k. Another quote from the book:

QuoteJean de Carrouges and his comrades  threw themselves into the maelstrom of war, slaughtering enemy soldiers and civilians alike, seizing livestock, and carrying off any valuables. A French chronicler reports that his countrymen brought "murder, pillage and fire" to the land, "destroying all by sword or fire, mercilessly cutting the throats of peasants and anyone else they met, sparing no one on account of rank, age, or sex, not even the elderly or the infant at the breast".
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed