Lord of the Rings - Amazon Series

Started by KiramidHead, Nov 04, 2017, 07:53:05 PM

Author
Lord of the Rings - Amazon Series (Read 30,831 times)

Local Trouble

QuoteIn any case, the problem here is that Galadriel does not have shimmering eyes and her hair doesn't glow with the light of the Two Trees of Valinor. She just comes across as a young and very serious and very angry young woman who ignores advice and has very little wisdom, all of which is both odd and frustrating. I don't think she'd be a very likable character even if she wasn't Galadriel and was some young, non-canon elf made up for the story either, but at least that would make sense.

This.

BlueMarsalis79

So we can put this to rest then.

Ingwar

Ingwar

So the main protagonist is ... unlikable? Is she annoying?

KiramidHead

I don't find her unlikable or annoying. Abrasive, maybe, but the Numenoreans weren't exactly being forthcoming or cooperative until divine intervention changes Miriel's mind.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 24, 2022, 06:21:33 PMSo the main protagonist is ... unlikable? Is she annoying?

Just really out of place both within the story as it is, and the setting as a whole, which you may or may not find annoying.

Having seen five episodes, the whole thing feels very "Marvel", more than anything else.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Very "Marvel" in Tolkien (or I should have said pseudo-Tolkien) setting doesn't sound compelling to me.

[cancerblack]

It's not.

Prez

Prez

Interesting views on this (not that I personally agree) but I feel Galadriel will grow into something more as the series goes forward. I can totally respect where a lot of Tolkien purists might be pissed at some of the lore retconning (aware PJ did some too but with a bit more sensitivity and probably not as divisive).

I'm not saying this show isn't without it's flaws but I'm curious to see where it goes. For now I am enjoying it and still intrigued.

Local Trouble

Strangely, I found this episode to be the least off-putting so far.  Maybe my standards have fallen over the past few weeks?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Prez on Sep 25, 2022, 07:05:45 AMInteresting views on this (not that I personally agree) but I feel Galadriel will grow into something more as the series goes forward. I can totally respect where a lot of Tolkien purists might be pissed at some of the lore retconning (aware PJ did some too but with a bit more sensitivity and probably not as divisive).

I'm not saying this show isn't without it's flaws but I'm curious to see where it goes. For now I am enjoying it and still intrigued.

I'm neither a purist or particularly a fan of Jackson, I just find this to be a real drag compared to the other megabudget franchise shows on offer at the minute. The dwarves and orcs are an exception to that, but they have limited screen time and the dwarves still feel a bit more Hobbit than LotR unfortunately, even if they're better than the rest of most of it.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Apparently pride, wise and tall Numenoreans (6'4 average; Elendil was nearly 8 feet high) are now afraid of Elves (one Elf to be more specific) taking their jobs and got beaten by Galadriel in the very matrix-style fashion. Is friend or mine taking a mickey or is he for real?

[cancerblack]

Yes, there's a "took our jobs hurr durr" speech, and yes, Galadriel does a Matrix "burly brawl" scene.

Ingwar

Ingwar

[cancerblack]

She makes eye contact with the camera during a slow motion backflip filmed from above.

Ingwar

Ingwar

This is probably one of the cringest fighting scene I've ever seen. What a choreography! ;D 
How much mithril did they waste on this show?

Spoiler
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed