Started by Ratchetcomand, Sep 15, 2007, 03:01:24 PM

Author
Hellraiser remake (Read 25,941 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I'm really excited for this and im loving the different take on Pinhead's voice

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Watched Hellbound. Not as strong as the first, of course, but I had a lot of fun with it and it was packed with some really cool visuals and ideas, many of which definitely seem like they are going to be mined further in this new one based on what the trailer is showing us. Loved the whole concept of the Leviathan so much.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Always thought the first two worked well together, a good double viewing. Everything that came after has been pretty terrible.

I guess Bloodlines would be the next best... far behind.

This looks very promising though.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

I think Bloodlines is pretty passable. Has some good things in it. Certainly better than III, and all the others.

Still the original and II are the best by far.

The more I watch the trailer for this new one, the more I'm looking forward to it!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Bloodlines would be a lot better if Dimension didn't f**k around with the movie so much. As it is, it's an Alan Smithee film for good reason.  :laugh:

Prez

Prez

There is a scene in the original Hellraiser where a 'growing' Frank crawls across the room towards Julia. That scene always creeped me out!

Quote from: Prez on Sep 22, 2022, 12:55:41 PMThere is a scene in the original Hellraiser where a 'growing' Frank crawls across the room towards Julia. That scene always creeped me out!

Actually that entire film creeped me out. There was a phase in the late 80s when my high school mate and I literally devoured any horror film from our local video store. Hellraiser though was a different breed - there was something very disturbing and unsettling about it unlike any other film I've seen (not even the Exorcist made me feel that way).

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 22, 2022, 04:59:26 AMBloodlines would be a lot better if Dimension didn't f**k around with the movie so much. As it is, it's an Alan Smithee film for good reason.  :laugh:

That script and what ive seen of the deleted footage would have made a brilliant ending to the series

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Prez on Sep 22, 2022, 12:55:41 PMThere is a scene in the original Hellraiser where a 'growing' Frank crawls across the room towards Julia. That scene always creeped me out!

Actually that entire film creeped me out. There was a phase in the late 80s when my high school mate and I literally devoured any horror film from our local video store. Hellraiser though was a different breed - there was something very disturbing and unsettling about it unlike any other film I've seen (not even the Exorcist made me feel that way).

I agree, the original Hellraiser is just such a unique and different breed of horror.

It weaves together elements of gothic horror from the likes of Poe, and definitely Lovecraftian horror, with some absolutely amazing gore and practical effects. That scene of Frank piecing back together from the floor is still amazingly disgusting to watch. The cenobites or also just super unique and interesting villains.

I honestly consider the first film a masterpiece. Which makes it more the shame that it just didn't get the respect it deserves with it's sequels (with the exception of Hellbound). This remake looks like it will (hopefully) change that.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Regarding the Lovecraftian/cosmic horror elements, I really wasn't expecting the Leviathan in Hellbound to be, well, what it was. I loved that. More eldritch horrors taking the form of geometric constructs, please. Can't wait to see that angle explored more in the new film.

T Dog

T Dog

I think what sets the original Hellraiser so apart from other horror movies is that it has this strange  sexual undercurrent that runs through the movie. Uncle Frank is this dirtbag deviant who is having an affair with his brother's wife who is also completely into it. Frank has just been searching for the weirdest shit to derive pleasure/pain from.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: T Dog on Sep 22, 2022, 06:28:48 PMI think what sets the original Hellraiser so apart from other horror movies is that it has this strange  sexual undercurrent that runs through the movie. Uncle Frank is this dirtbag deviant who is having an affair with his brother's wife who is also completely into it. Frank has just been searching for the weirdest shit to derive pleasure/pain from.

Absolutely!
There's a undercurrent theme of the relationship between pain and pleasure, and the blurring line between the two. The fact that the cenobites are these otherworldly beings ("Demons to some, angels to others") that are so far gone that they regard immense excruciating pain as a form of pleasure, is pretty horrific in itself. The idea of surrendering to these desires despite costing their humanity (Julia and Frank). There's a lot going on there.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 22, 2022, 02:39:03 PMRegarding the Lovecraftian/cosmic horror elements, I really wasn't expecting the Leviathan in Hellbound to be, well, what it was. I loved that. More eldritch horrors taking the form of geometric constructs, please. Can't wait to see that angle explored more in the new film.
Ramiel's grandfather!

I had a look at the trailer for the new series - besides the trailer editing, it looked quite interesting. Certainly can't be worse than all the films past the second one. Seeing Chatterer was all I needed!

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

From what I can see casting a trans actress means it is already more in line with the source material than the original film. Iconic as it is.

El Diablo

El Diablo

I went to the Beyond Fest premiere last night in Los Angeles. The movie is fantastic. It's gruesome and ambitious, expanding the lore in interesting ways while still keeping things familiar for longtime fans. It is arguably the best HELLRAISER film since the original and the audience response was incredibly strong. David Bruckner and the cast were in attendance for a Q&A after the film and the moderator surprised everyone with a special guest. None other than Clive Barker himself appeared on stage to rapturous applause. He had some difficulty speaking due to his health issues in recent years but he was in good spirits and was praising the movie and had nothing but positive words for director David Bruckner and actress Jamie Clayton.

This is one if those rare examples of getting the right kind of talent aligned with a well known property and giving it the shot of life it deserves, especially a franchise like HELLRAISER which has been through the wringer. I only wish this was going to theaters. There are some moments in this movie that are surprisingly epic (one in particular that is briefly glimpsed in the trailer) that rocked the house last night. Seriously, I had a goofy smile on my face the entire time. Everyone should get the chance to experience it on a big screen with awesome sound. Now I'm praying for a sequel!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed