Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 189,176 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 13, 2015, 01:18:11 PM
Also have you been instructed to treat Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon at this time?

I would think that they have to since Blomkamp's movie more or less has just finished it's first draft script, and likely will be going under revisions sometime soon. Unless of course.. much like the Fire and Stone writing team, they've got a peek at Blomkamp's script. Still though, I would think that some elements of Alien 3 might be safe until Blomkamp's movie is finalized and assuming Biehn's comments still hold true.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 13, 2015, 01:33:17 PM
Also have you been instructed to treat Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon at this time?

I would think that they have to since Blomkamp's movie more or less has just finished it's first draft script, and likely will be going under revisions sometime soon. Unless of course.. much like the Fire and Stone writing team, they've got a peek at Blomkamp's script. Still though, I would think that some elements of Alien 3 might be safe until Blomkamp's movie is finalized and assuming Biehn's comments still hold true.

Where did you see they got a look at Alien 3.2?

I wouldn't imagine it'd have much impact on Defiance as this takes place well before Alien 3 and Resurrection.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2015, 01:34:15 PM

I think you misunderstood. What I am saying is that, unless they looked at the script for Blomkamp's Alien, like how the Fire and Stone writing team looked at the Prometheus sequel script, that they would have to treat Alien 3 as canon. But I don't think they did look at it seeing as Blomkamp's script was just finished a few days ago, or at least the first draft was.

I wouldn't imagine it'd have much impact on Defiance as this takes place well before Alien 3 and Resurrection.

It wouldn't. I'd think anything Pre-Alien 3 would be considered in the safe zone.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 13, 2015, 01:38:43 PM

I think you misunderstood. What I am saying is that, unless they looked at the script for Blomkamp's Alien, like how the Fire and Stone writing team looked at the Prometheus sequel script, that they would have to treat Alien 3 as canon. But I don't think they did look at it seeing as Blomkamp's script was just finished a few days ago, or at least the first draft was.

Indeed I did mis-read that. In that case - where did you see they got a look at the Prometheus sequel? I can't remember them ever saying they actually saw the script.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2015, 01:34:15 PMI wouldn't imagine it'd have much impact on Defiance as this takes place well before Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Plus T-Rex already mentioned there are/will be subtle references to the third and fourth films in the comic.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2015, 01:41:11 PM
Indeed I did mis-read that. In that case - where did you see they got a look at the Prometheus sequel? I can't remember them ever saying they actually saw the script.

I remember them saying that they looked at the script (or a draft) when they were speaking to Ridley when the Fire and Stone team were working on the project. Of course, I could be remembering wrong. It was somewhere off-handedly mentioned on a comic book news site.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 13, 2015, 01:46:59 PM
I remember them saying that they looked at the script (or a draft) when they were speaking to Ridley when the Fire and Stone team were working on the project. Of course, I could be remembering wrong. It was somewhere off-handedly mentioned on a comic book news site.

All our interviews with the F&S team talk about them being handed notes by Fox rather than them actually getting to see the script itself.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2015, 01:50:47 PM
All our interviews with the F&S team talk about them being handed notes by Fox rather than them actually getting to see the script itself.

I think that's what I'm getting confused with one thing or another with.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 13, 2015, 01:45:11 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 13, 2015, 01:34:15 PMI wouldn't imagine it'd have much impact on Defiance as this takes place well before Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Plus T-Rex already mentioned there are/will be subtle references to the third and fourth films in the comic.

Well this is exactly what I'm getting at.  For example, mentioning planets like Fiorina-161 in the new comic may or may not be setting Alien 3 up as canon, even though there are some pretty clear intentions as mentioned by Blomkamp to do away with that film.  Does it make sense to treat locations like Fury-161 as canon even if Alien 3 is wiped away in the future?  It could be an interesting nod to an alternate time line, but boy is it ever walking a fine line.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 13, 2015, 01:54:14 PM
Well this is exactly what I'm getting at.  For example, mentioning planets like Fiorina-161 in the new comic may or may not be setting Alien 3 up as canon, even though there are some pretty clear intentions as mentioned by Blomkamp to do away with that film.  Does it make sense to treat locations like Fury-161 as canon even if Alien 3 is wiped away in the future?  It could be an interesting nod to an alternate time line, but boy is it ever walking a fine line.

While the storyline of Alien 3 maybe rectified potentially, there is no reason elements from Alien 3 couldn't and wouldn't survive in the new canon material. I imagine the whole taking traits thing, and maybe Fury-161 being off handedly mentioned but the events of Alien 3? Maybe not.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 13, 2015, 01:54:14 PMWell this is exactly what I'm getting at.  For example, mentioning planets like Fiorina-161 in the new comic may or may not be setting Alien 3 up as canon, even though there are some pretty clear intentions as mentioned by Blomkamp to do away with that film.  Does it make sense to treat locations like Fury-161 as canon even if Alien 3 is wiped away in the future?

Of course it does. The new novel Predator: Incursion acts as though the third and fourth films happened (it has to; it's a sequel to Sea of Sorrows which literally states Resurrection occurred), so why not the comic too? Clearly the writer has decided that three and four are still valid. Fair play to them, I'm happy to hear it.

At the end of the day, until the new film's actually out there's no point doing anything else because we have almost no hard facts and it could well all change.

tyrannosaurusjones

Are the cheeky nods to (let's just speculate a film that starts with B and ends with R) this other Ridley creation mandated by Fox or is that your own thing?  Also have you been instructed to treat Alien 3 and Resurrection as canon at this time?  Will it be the ALIEN or ALIENS imprint?

As far as I know, nothing has been mandated by Fox yet. We get notes, but Josh (our guy there) is great. He wants this to be hard canon, like Isolation. Obviously Ridley and Neil have final say in it all, but so far everything's been fine. The visual cues are all by my hand... ;)

I think the only thing we're genuinely beholden to right now is anything the Alien prequels decide to shift in the mix. And that's purely because we're set around that time frame.

Lonely Universe

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 13, 2015, 03:54:06 PMThe new novel Predator: Incursion acts as though the third and fourth films happened (it has to; it's a sequel to Sea of Sorrows which literally states Resurrection occurred), so why not the comic too?
I think I remember it just states that a ship called the Auriga crashed into the Earth. In the new canon that could easily be dismissed as a freak accident unrelated to the Xenomorphs.

But yeah, no one will know until Blomkamp's movie comes out or we get the official word from Fox, Dark Horse, or Titan. There's a chance that Tim Lebbon will have already established what the Auriga mention in SoS means in Predator: Incursion, given that the new films are already moving forward. I would imagine Fox would pass him notes saying, "Oh hey, downplay any previous references to 3 or 4 before this thing goes to press."

RakaiThwei

Quote from: 8BA on Oct 13, 2015, 05:18:58 PM
I think I remember it just states that a ship called the Auriga crashed into the Earth. In the new canon that could easily be dismissed as a freak accident unrelated to the Xenomorphs.

This could be true in the sense that the Auriga was infested with genetic mutants and not necessarily true Xenomorphs if you want to look at it like that. But thinking of Resurrection, Perez's line suggesting that the Xenomorphs went extinct suggested that they were gone. I haven't read any of the new canon but how was that handled in regards to Perez's quote?

Lonely Universe

In SoS I remember it being just an off-hand mention. A memory of the crash in the protagonist Decker's thoughts, which is now looked upon by society as just another historic event. In the story no one but the higher ups at Weyland-Yutani know anything about the Xenomorphs. So, Perez is never mentioned.

The character Decker is a descendant of Ripley, & I believe that is known to a certain WY representative. I'll try to read back over it after work this evening & see if anything else was mentioned in regards to Ripley by that employee. One thing I know for sure is that they are still looking for specimens even during that far future timeframe.

Also, it's worth picking them up if you can. There's evidence of an entirely new advanced alien species introduced & it's actually handled pretty well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed