First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 29, 2019, 04:35:38 PM

Author
First Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Released Online - Alien: Containment! (Read 28,340 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Nice, Matthew Savage did some design work on Prometheus and The Martian as well. The 79 is probably a reference to Alien's release date. Wrong WY logo though if this is supposed to be in the same era as Alien.

Anyone guess the significance of the registry number 29984 on the mission patch yet?

Nightmare Asylum

I thought the same about the WY logo, but I guess it is ok since there is no year specified as to when this short takes place. Also, unless I'm mistaken, the WY logo never made it past the concept stage (I don't recall seeing it in the short).

The director confirmed in the comments on the Instagram post that the 29984 is his birthday. September 29, 1984.

Corporal Hicks

morseman

I didn't really vibe with it, it felt pretty stiff and formulaic. I really didn't like the characters. The Ripley type who somehow has the presence of mind to arm herself while something intensely shocking is happening, the Ash reaction of the medical officer and the ridiculously over the top knife guy. I felt like a clumsily handles "highlights" of Alien without the subtlety. I really did like the the opening and ending -the ship breaking up,  do not open, and the wide shot of the escape ship getting taken in, pointed to a disaster waiting to happen.

Given it was a 9 minute feature, I think they wasted some of the run time and did a sloppy job of setting the event that had led up to it

Naginata

Honestly, for what it was? I loved it.

The effects were extraordinary for a project of this size, and the characters were well-realized given how little time they had. I feel like I'm the only person who actually liked not seeing the alien; it brings back some of the mystique. My only problem was the blatant quoting of Covenant with the knife, but that's small potatoes; the ending - I took it as the guy waking up, realizing what's in there with him, and trying to huff as much oxygen as he could before 'it' got to him - more than made up for it.

Huggs

I dug it.

And the more I watch it, the more I like it.

XenoHunter99

That shuttle design has old school Battlestar Galactica vibe. And logo or not, the windows sure look like a Weiland logo.

Local Trouble

I wonder if that shuttle had cryotubes.  And who the hell was around to rescue them so quickly after the Barrowdale was scuttled?  Were they part of a convoy?

SM

SiL

It was a great big convoy, trucking through the night.

My main issue, besides not seeing the Alien itself, is that it just lacks any real drama or tension. They're there, they're arguing, the guy pops, one person falls over and gets their face eaten and the other stumbled to the end of the corridor.

People say "it's only 9 minutes", but that's more than enough time.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Naginata on Apr 02, 2019, 02:47:07 AMI took it as the guy waking up, realizing what's in there with him, and trying to huff as much oxygen as he could before 'it' got to him.

I figured his plan was to pretend to still be asleep and pray lol.

Predatorium

Felt like they were just copying that backburster scenario from Covenant. Nothing fresh or creative here. Well executed though!

The Cruentus

Considering that it is is a fanfilm, it is not bad. There was some interesting elements in there such as the idea of four people being trapped and one of them being a ticking time bomb, I think there should have been more tension and more red herrings on who was infected though.

dave1978

Not bad,  better than expected.  Although a bit too much Covenant shuttle burster scene,

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed