The Callisto Protocol

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 26, 2021, 06:18:40 PM

Author
The Callisto Protocol (Read 7,549 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm about 5 missions in. I'm enjoying it well enough, but I do think it's not scary. It's got some good atmosphere and it looks fantastic, but it's somehow got no real tension for me. I'm finding the gameplay a little frustrating - the only way to really down enemies seems to be the melee combat (unless there's a good environmental thing for you to throw them at with the gauntlet). The melee system looks good when you get it off, but I find it annoying when you've got multiple enemies.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

I've been playing for several hours and I'll be honest, it's just...ok. Certainly not terrible of course, but it hasn't totally wowed me. The combat is fine, but I'm still not crazy about dodging. I think it would have been better to allocate that feature to a button or use some counter system.

My two biggest complaints are the lack of a "map" or guidance system. It doesn't have to be a map. A simple icon pointing you in a direction would suffice.

My second complaint would be the lack of weapons. Just the one baton and different gun "attachments" gets old quick.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I found it a whole lot easier to just not dodge.  For some reason, even though it should be more intuitive, I've found that the analog dodge is harder for me to dodge than hitting a button to dodge.  I upgraded the block and have been using that. 

I started warming up to the game after I forced myself to overlook the DS influences. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It is not just you being old or anything the dodge system just sucks in terms of reliability.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I had high hopes for this game, looks like it is going to be a pass. Such a bummer...

Hopefully the Dead Space remake turns out.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd estimate I'm about halfway through now.  I say get it when it lowers in price.  It isn't terrible.  I'd give it a 6.5/10 so far, but we will see at the end of the game.

However it is presented at a 10/10 level.  The visuals are excellent.  I haven't done any level retreads yet, so the continued stunning presentations of each new area are pretty dope.  One thing I didn't like about the originals was going through the same areas over and over again in the OG DS, and to a lesser extend the second.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The combat system is just genuinely pissing me off now. The dodge system isn't reliable, and I can't even seem to get it block.

Elliott

Elliott

I was excited for this thinking it was a good spiritual successor to Dead Space, then quickly checked my own expectations when I saw some early footage and now with the Dead Space remake on the horizon this quickly fell to the wayside. I think a lot of people bought this expecting it to be something other than what it is, unfortunately because it does hold up on it's own just not as well as most were expecting.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 07, 2022, 09:17:43 AMThe combat system is just genuinely pissing me off now. The dodge system isn't reliable, and I can't even seem to get it block.

Someone said you're better off not even blocking or dodging at all. I stocked up on ammo, and I am trying to kill these things from a distance. And get up close when necessary. But yeah, dodging and blocking feels broken.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I didn't have a problem with blocking, but the dodging never seems to register. 

I've upgraded weapons now, so instead of a midboss that YOU MUST USE MELEE ON to advance, I've just been blasting them or tossing them with kinesis. 

I think I'm probably going to end up giving it the 7/10 range.  It is probably more a 6.5, but it isn't the trash that some people are saying it is either. 

Stitch

Stitch

My pre-order still hasn't arrived. I have to wait a full 14 working days before contacting base.com so they can log a complaint with Royal Mail

First Blood

First Blood

They just rolled out a 1.007 update for the PS5. Hopefully they did some house keeping and tightened things up.

Also just got the suit. Which gives more health and inventory slots. Thank Christ.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

My number one complaint at the moment with the game is the
Spoiler
brute minibosses
[close]
.  I cannot stand them. 

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Minor spoilers below. 

Ok,  Callisto is worthy of some praise.  For one, there is very little backtracking like there is in Dead Space.  This means you are never bored going through the same shit over and over again like you do in the first DP game and to a lesser extent, DS 2.  You are always moving forward and nothing really looks like you are in recycled environments. 

Since this game looks outstanding this is a definite plus.  It always feels like you are walking through someplace new, with something different to look at.  If games were based on presentation alone, CP would be a 10. 

The absolute main problem with CP however, isn't that it is clearly a DS clone, its that the consistency of combat is too varying.  Especially when it comes to the brute mini bosses, and the final boss.  There are too many insta kill triggers featuring those bosses that make them unnecessarily hard.  If you are even turned slightly at an angle then both bosses will fire off an insta kill "running away" animation if you are too close, even if you successfully dodged.  That is super f**king annoying.  Also, the darkness added to some of the boss fights are just there to try and make the encounters much more difficult.  You can hear the big mofos coming at you, but often times you can't see them until they are right up on you.  It doesn't come across os new or fresh, just makes the game feel like they did all they could to make the total lack of bosses unnecessarily hard by putting you in arenas you can't see in. 

There are also some things that rigger scripted waves with regular enemies that can make the game way harder.  In the oldtown portion of the game, I snuck around and was supposed to activate an elevator.  I yeeted the enemies into spike walls and activated the elevator.  As I was leaving I hit some kind of trigger, and it was clear it was scripted because one of the blind enemies ran along a beam and jumped down to my level, I was swarmed over and killed.  I did the exact same thing the next time, except I new a wave was coming, and readied weapons.  When I flipped the switch expecting to be attacked nothing at all happened.  This kind of invisible trigger happened more than once. 

No new game plus.  That is absolute amateur hour.  They are adding one in february, but c'mon dude.  That is like a horror survival game standard.  You are supposed to reward survival horror fans that stuck through your game and played it through the end with NG+ as a reward. 

I don't blame games for this, but CP goes kind of old skool on what it doesn't tell you.  YOU MUST CONTINUE TO USE MELEE/DODGE mechanic throughout the game.  You will never beat the minibosses or the final bosses first stages without doing it.  You can either waste all your ammunition on the minibosses, or you can stand  right in front of them and dodge their attacks and melee them when they are in their recovery animation and use a quarter of the ammo you would use.  This mechanic has caused many people to quit the game just because they got to the point where it was easier to use upgraded weapons and GRP over melee, and for too long didn't melee on that initial game mechanic and forgot about it. 

Duhamel and The Boys girl were ok, but not given anything really substantial to work with.  The story is very basic bare bones horror scifi stuff with a twist that was about equally impactful as the twist in OG DS.  You could kind of see both coming from a mile away. 

So, in short, OUTSTANDING presentation.  No fetchquest through already explored areas like the OG deadspace that hurt the flow of the game marred by unnecessarily difficult boss fights, that they tilt the favor to the bosses to try and make it harder than it should.  However, the boss fights aren't hard gameplay wise, the game often time glitches you in encounters with them.  I've dodged with a perfect slow motion animation, only to immediately be thrown into an insta death animation because of the way the previous animation left me standing in front of the boss.  The darkening of the stages to increase tension only actually increases aggravation.  I probably spent an eighth of the game on the midboss/boss fights.   

No new game plus mode just feels basic.  It has been a standard of horror games since the OG deadspace era.   The way the game is set up now is that you will never be able to level up your late game weapons because after you finish the game you have to start over again.  This will be rectified in February, but SHOULD HAVE BEEN a standard game release feature. 

6.5/10.  Not complete dogshit, but no DS2 either. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

No backtracking's not the positive you think that it is, it is the complete opposite.

A (good) survival horror staple.

Also DS1 > DS2 > DS3 > Callisto Protocol.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed