Alien 3 workprint VHS

Started by AvPTotalWar, Dec 24, 2013, 11:51:48 AM

Author
Alien 3 workprint VHS (Read 19,047 times)

Russ840

Russ840

Nice SM

Thanks for that.

Is there anything in the workprint that any of you guys think works better or should have been in the final/special edition cuts?

SM

SM

It's probably the closest to the best cut of the film for mine.  It loses the ox and that dopey screne when they run off to the furnace.  There's still too much 'the Company wants the Alien; no they don't' with Ripley and Aaron, but it does keep Aaron's classic lost line 'You're gunna need a bigger cage than that'.

Russ840

Russ840

So it seems that I need to find a way of watching this.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Download it from the link. Its worth it really

Russ840

Russ840

Will do.   

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: SM on Mar 18, 2018, 05:25:55 AM
Considering it's 15 years old, also one from the archive.  ;D

5 Stars Amazing job SM.

The DVD version seems to be identical to what is listed here. It does not have the timer mentioned. Widescreen format. No sound track as mentioned so practical effects are heard. When the EEV is tumbling toward the planet there is the sound of dripping water. This also shows up a bit during Newt's autopsy. I just put it on till the scene where Clemens is giving the history with the "lights out" line. I'll sit down later and watch it with a notebook in hand & your post for comparison.

Cheers

D

Keyes

Keyes

I wonder where this workprint fell in terms of the film's editorial timeline?

The Assembly Cut on the DVD/Blu-ray is supposedly the oldest, complete cut they could find in the archives when producing the Quadrilogy box set, but there are parts of the Workprint that Fincher mentioned post theatrical release (in his very few interviews on the matter) as scenes he wanted to keep in the final cut; specifically Ripley agonising for a long period whether to take Bishop II's offer, which isn't in the Assembly Cut (the version supposedly less free of creative interference). I recall there were a few other instances of this, but I'll have to think about it!

SM

SM

It's after the Assembly - don't know about dates; sometime after one of the test screenings.  They'd ditched the ox for the workprint, and had no chestburster scene.  But curiously the Workprint has a couple of lines of dialogue here and there - eg "for the last time" and "you're going to need a bigger cage than that", and different audio for the scene where Golic, Boggs and Rains head off foraging.

And yeah the longer deliberation from Ripley.

The Old One

The Old One

Longer everything.  :D

But I adore "You're going to need a bigger cage than that."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed