Ahab Predator Cosplay [by InkFxTion Studios/Christopher Du-Bois]

Started by AhabPredator, Feb 25, 2019, 01:39:32 PM

Author
Ahab Predator Cosplay [by InkFxTion Studios/Christopher Du-Bois] (Read 11,206 times)

AhabPredator

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 01, 2019, 10:15:29 PM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 01, 2019, 06:29:50 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Mar 01, 2019, 05:16:52 PM
That mask is gorgeous.

Spoiler
Shame on you ADI  ;D!
[close]

Glad you approve.  ;)

Here's no option for crossed out text anymore!  :-\ I'm actually like ADI stuff pretty much.  :)

But still gorgeous.

Don't misunderstand. They do exceptional work too. But I think they lack...the passion? Or creativity? Something is missing. I can't put my finger on it.

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Mar 01, 2019, 07:28:24 PM
this > ADI

You're gonna make Chris smile with that one  ;D

Voodoo Magic

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 12:29:15 AM
ADI...

https://media.giphy.com/media/9ySjuLTJEpPAA/giphy.gif

Easy, Voodoo. You can go to the end of the leash and bark. But if you bite someone, then we get in trouble.  :laugh:

But really though, I'm not sure what is up with the designs. I know they can do a lot better. But why don't they? Money? Time? I guess we'll never know.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 12:34:34 AM
But really though, I'm not sure what is up with the designs. I know they can do a lot better. But why don't they? Money? Time? I guess we'll never know.

I really wish Alec from ADI answered the Old One's mandible question on his recent AvPG Podcast appearance. But he basically dismissed it, which didn't help when the question was dismissed by RidgeTop when he was asking it.

So still, *sigh* no answers.  :-\

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 12:44:25 AM
Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 12:34:34 AM

I really wish Alec from ADI answered the Old One's mandible question on his recent AvPG Podcast appearance. But he basically dismissed it, which didn't help when the question was dismissed by RidgeTop when he was asking it.

So still, *sigh* no answers.  :-\

I wonder how they would feel about the work Christopher does in comparison to theirs. I mean, I wouldn't want to draw too much attention to him...but at the same time, I think if they saw what an amateur is capable of, it would be a wakeup call.

SiL

SiL

They'd probably admire the talent and dedication of a fellow creature effects artist.

And that's about it.

AhabPredator

Voodoo,

How often do those pros get interviewed here? Granted I haven't been around long enough to experience those.

Do you know what the Predator interviews that Hicks was talking about were for?

I was curious to see what those develop as. Hopefully they will be interesting.

SiL

The talk was specifically for The Predator. You can try to contact Alec or Tom online, they're fairly approachable.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AhabPredator on Mar 02, 2019, 03:59:35 AM
Voodoo,

How often do those pros get interviewed here? Granted I haven't been around long enough to experience those.

Do you know what the Predator interviews that Hicks was talking about were for?

I was curious to see what those develop as. Hopefully they will be interesting.

Yes, indeed when Hicks & RidgeTop talked to Alec @ ADi, the timing was for The Predator, but the podcast interview did cover a range of topics outside of Shane Black's masterpiece.  ;)

I do have to correct my earlier statement. Hicks asked the mandible question and asked it legitimately. It was RidgeTop later chiming in dismissing Old One's question as a "little nitpicky". I hate when my memory fails me!

I would have loved to learn if and why ADI thinks the parallel mandibles a.k.a. broken jaw / slack-jawed design looks better in their eyes than Stan Winston's design. Can ADI realize it's more than a change in teeth, but jaw and facial structure? Can they put themselves in the perspective of a Predator fan and recognize it as a drastic change they made to the Predator's look? And what does ADI consider when duplicating an iconic creature in a film franchise, what features should carry on, to stay respectul to what came before it?

Maybe, in all fairness, the question needed to be framed better.

Go to 50:13 in the podcast below and you can hear the mandible question.

The Old One

The Old One

The Alien requires a Carapace, Alec Gillis.

Good answer though, (bad) creative decision.

Wish the praise regarding the AlienĀ³ design and the rest transpired.  ???

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 11:22:30 AM
I would have loved to learn if and why ADI thinks the parallel mandibles a.k.a. broken jaw / slack-jawed design looks better in their eyes than Stan Winston's design.
Alec says "why do they still need to look the same?". That's not saying theirs is better - just that it's theirs.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Mar 02, 2019, 01:27:44 PM
I would have loved to learn if and why ADI thinks the parallel mandibles a.k.a. broken jaw / slack-jawed design looks better in their eyes than Stan Winston's design.
Alec says "why do they still need to look the same?". That's not saying theirs is better - just that it's theirs.

Indeed it's theirs. A finished ADI Predator can be recognized immediately. For better or worse, they have certainly put their "stamp" on it.

Then it goes to their philosophy. What does ADI consider when duplicating an iconic creature in a film franchise. What features do they feel should carry on, to stay respectul to what came before it?  I'd be interested in hearing that answer, because they've done more than change teeth.

I go to the comics, even the City Hunter in "Predator 2" and realize you can put your own stamp on things with alternative colors, general shape variations, tattoos, scars, wounds, jewelry and dread design without changing its core facial musculature.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 03:02:41 PM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 02, 2019, 01:27:44 PM

Indeed it's theirs. A finished ADI Predator can be recognized immediately. For better or worse, they have certainly put their "stamp" on it.

Then it goes to their philosophy. What does ADI consider when duplicating an iconic creature in a film franchise, what features should carry on, to stay respectul to what came before it?  I'd be interested in hearing that answer, because they've done more than change teeth.

I go to the comics, even the City Hunter in "Predator" and realize you can put your own stamp on things with alternative colors, general shape variations, tattoos, scars, wounds, jewelry and dread design without changing its core facial musculature.

Voodoo Magic

Great examples Ahab. Except for Wolf, really great!

AhabPredator

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 02, 2019, 04:32:53 PM
Great examples Ahab. Except for Wolf, really great!

I'm not a fan of that style of Wolf. The one in your display pic would be a great one to see him do. But alas, the others are custom suits he has done. I think the Elder at the bottom and the albino are probably the best from that lot.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed