Gladiator 2

Started by Ingwar, Nov 01, 2018, 07:58:58 PM

Author
Gladiator 2 (Read 24,841 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Production is on hold because of the SAG strike.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yes, but applies to SAG actors.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I think they only went a day or two after the strike commenced with some non-SAG background cast, from what it seemed. They were pretty quick to close up shop after that. I think the brunt of the film's main cast is all SAG.

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

Quote from: Ingwar on Aug 19, 2023, 04:56:25 PMAre they still shooting?

That pic is from several weeks ago. It's just a higher res, uncropped version of the same photo I posted earlier.

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

Maximus rebate: The Gladiator set in Fort Ricasoli lies abandoned as the production waits for an international actors' strike to stop before resuming filming. Photo: SJP

Quote from: Times of MaltaGladiator film to be given €47 million in taxpayers' money
The rebate breaks record for the biggest state aid to cinema in the EU.

Paying millions in salaries to Hollywood actors and directors;
Film Commission already went over allocated budget by €58 million;
Government is yet to say where the money will come from and who is approving budget overshoot
Maltese taxpayers will be paying €46.7 million to the film company producing the Gladiator sequel film, official figures reveal.

Through the Malta Film Commission, the government has committed itself to paying €46,653,961 to the subsidiary company of Paramount Studios for the production of Ridley Scott's sword-and-sandals epic film.

The rebate is part of a generous cash scheme that promises production houses up to 40% cash back if they film in Malta. The rebate breaks the record for the biggest state aid to cinema in the EU.

Official figures emerging from the state aid website of the EU Commission show Italy gave the second biggest rebate, in the form of a tax allowance, to a cinematic production, and that rebate was less than half the rebate Malta is giving to Gladiator.

The government says the scheme is significantly growing the film industry by attracting top Hollywood productions, which in turn inject millions more into the Maltese economy.

But top industry insiders insist that almost half of the big productions' budget is not spent directly in Malta, even while the production is filming on the island. Productions spend millions on hundreds of crew members brought to work in Malta and to rent and ship equipment from other countries.

Of the €46.7 million that Gladiator is getting, for instance, €5 million will go to pay a share of the salaries of actor Denzel Washington, director Ridley Scott and other top cast and crew. Millions more will go to pay the salaries of hundreds of other foreign crew members and actors and to subsidise the renting of high-end cinematic equipment, props, costumes and machinery from other countries.

This means tens of millions of euros eligible for the rebate are spent on services provided by foreign companies and individuals who do not even pay taxes locally. But the Maltese government still reimburses productions with 40 per cent of the money that is not spent in Malta. Industry insiders said only a fraction of the film's entire spend eventually ends up working its way into the Maltese economy.

The first Gladiator film shot in Malta in 1999, when the cash rebate scheme was yet to be created, had reportedly left around €21 million in the Maltese economy, and the government did not need to return any of that money. "This time round, we're giving the sequel €46.7 million against a local direct expenditure of not more than €55 million, so we'd be lucky as a country if we manage to end up with €10 million in our economy," a top industry insider said.

The government claims that last year alone, the industry injected €85 million in Malta but is yet to explain when and how that money made its way into the economy.

But the issue has now been further exacerbated following a major strike announced by the Hollywood's actors union last month, bringing the Gladiator filming to a halt. International actors and crew left Malta and the massive set at Fort Ricasoli was abandoned, effectively blocking the Film Commission from being able to rent it out to other, smaller productions not impacted by the strike. It is unclear how long the strike will last.

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

Quote from: DeadlineGladiator 2' Star Paul Mescal Says He Was "Too Afraid" To Talk To Pedro Pascal & Why Sequel Film Has Him "Stressed".

Paul Mescal is the lead of the Gladiator sequel and will have Pedro Pascal as a co-star. The Normal People actor is opening up about his first interaction with The Mandalorian star and why the Ridley Scott-directed sequel film has him "stressed."

Mescal is set to take over the role of Lucius that Spencer Treat Clark portrayed in the original 2000 film. Ahead of Pascal's involvement in the film, Mescal ran into the actor at LAX airport but was "too afraid" to approach him.

"He came up and just seemed so genuine," Mescal told Esquire, in an interview conducted before the SAG-AFTRA strike. "I'm really looking forward to hanging out with him."
Although filming for the sequel film has been halted due to the ongoing actors strike, Mescal said at the time he was nervous about not spilling any tea on what Gladiator 2 is about.

"I can't get into that!" he told the publication. "I can't tell you how stressed I am talking about that film in particular, because it's definitely the biggest one I've done. I feel really excited, but, like, it's difficult to get away from the legacy of the film a bit.'

He continued, "I think it's really well written and it pays homage to the first one, but it's very much something that I think I can step into and make comfortably my own."

Mescal also noted he has not spoken to OG Gladiator star Russell Crowe adding, "I don't know what we would talk about. Like, I'd love to hear his stories from filming, but the character is, like, totally separate."

https://deadline.com/2023/08/gladiator-2-paul-mescal-too-afraid-talk-pedro-pascal-sequel-film-stressed-1235528987

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

From 'Dune' to 'Gladiator 2' – Here's the films resuming production after WGA agreement

Don't think this will happen immediately, as the SAG strike is still in effect.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 08, 2023, 12:20:20 AMhttps://twitter.com/BrianDuffield/status/1699936728843432337

Quote from: CinemaBlendGladiator 2 Star Paul Mescal was (Obviously) Asked How Often He Thinks About The Roman Empire, And His Response To The Viral TikTok Trend Is A+

What do you get when you cross one of Hollywood's most anticipated blockbuster sequels with one of TikTok's most viral current trends? In this particular case, you get Gladiator 2 star Paul Mescal being asked how often he thinks about the Roman Empire, and we should all be grateful that he went for brevity with his A+ response, as opposed to an endless dissertation about the ins and outs of that particular ancient society.

Fans will be waiting a while to see Ridley Scott long-awaited Gladiator sequel, which isn't set to be released until late 2024, but no one needs to spend any more time wondering where Mescal averages when it comes to his daily time spent thinking about the Roman Empire. When asked by Chicken Shop Date's Amelia Dimoldenberg, the Aftersun actor offered up a bemused response that naturally ties back to his in-the-words epic. Here's how he put it:

I would say in the last six months, I've been thinking about the Roman Empire quite a bit. Other than that, I would say my dad thinks about the Roman Empire daily.

Now, does that mean Paul Mescal spent six months thinking about the myriad ways Rome was the crux of ideas that led to modern day necessities and pleasantries? Was he marveling at the concept of indoor plumbing for half a year? Probably not, since his main focus was probably on making sure he knew his lines and his scene marks, and what all was needed to make filming Gladiator 2 as successful as possible

No, it doesn't sound like the Normal People star matches up with the myriad dudes who have been captured on video admitting how often they're pondering the Roman Empire's impact on society. But his dad seems to be another story. Maybe that's the next video we can expect to see on TikTok in the coming days: Paul Mescal's dad waxing poetically about the days of empires yore.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing just how far-flung this trend will get by the time it fades into the Internet ethers. I guess the next logical steps would be getting Joaquin Phoenix and Ridley Scott into the mix, though don't hold your breath.

https://www.cinemablend.com/movies/gladiator-2-paul-mescal-response-asked-how-often-he-thinks-about-roman-empire-viral-tiktok-trend

Pictured, Ridley Scott thinking about the Roman Empire:

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

Quote from: World of Reel'Gladiator' Sequel Had 50% of Filming Completed When Strike Shut Down Production

Ridley Scott's "Gladiator 2" shut down its production on July 13th, just hours before the SAG-AFTRA strike began. Due to the ongoing strike, the shutdown is costing Paramount/Universal $600,000 per week.

Scott's sequel was filming in Malta and the cost of holding on to the rented soundstages is to blame for the exorbitant amount of wasted money. Paramount have so far lost around $8 million due to the shutdown.

Now, according to Variety, the film was around halfway done filming when cameras stopped filming in Malta. The cast and crew were in the middle of shooting a big action piece which was said to take place in the Roman Colosseum.

"Gladiator 2" is currently scheduled for a November 22, 2024 release, but that date could very well be delayed if the actors strike doesn't end soon.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/9/28/zswe9cphgfi4mrd9wbeibv2f8p1sz7

$8 Million "so far" is probably not too bad considering the film's budget is probably north of $200 million.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I thought it was a writer's strike?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 29, 2023, 10:53:29 AMI thought it was a writer's strike?

The Screen Actors Guild has been on strike since July.

The Writers Guild strike, which had been going since May, ended a couple days ago.

nanison

nanison

I hope there won't be re writes or big scenes cut because of this.

The Eighth Passenger

The Eighth Passenger

https://twitter.com/totalfilm/status/1710309387653255207

Quote"Can I see Paul Mescal being as big as Russell Crowe? For sure," Scott tells Total Film in our new issue, which hits newsstands on October 12. "I watched Normal People. It's not my kind of show but I saw four episodes in a row – boom, boom, boom. I was thinking, 'Who the hell is this Paul Mescal?'

Ridley Scott says the decision to cast Paul Mescal as the lead of Gladiator 2 was all down to Normal People.

Mescal will play Commodus' nephew Lucius in the long-awaited sequel to the beloved first movie. Scott, who is on the cover of the new issue of Total Film magazine, opened up about finding Mescal for the role.

"And then I watched the whole series. And then, suddenly, Gladiator 2 came up, because the script was working pretty well. And I kept thinking about Paul. And that was it."

Elsewhere in our comprehensive interview with the legendary director, Scott also opened up about why now is the right time to tell this sequel. "Why now? It didn't have a script [before]. We tried, actually, four years ago, and I chose a very good writer who couldn't get his head around it. He wrestled. He was terribly upset that he didn't deliver. He's a friend of mine. I said, 'You're not getting there?' He said, 'No.'

"That took 10 months. So it went dead. And then we circled the wagons again, coming back with a very obvious idea, and why not? There's a survivor. The survivor is the son of the union between Lucilla and Maximus."

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I wonder who the writer friend is. John Logan?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed