AVP1 Gift for AvPGalaxy

Started by Olde, Sep 22, 2015, 07:04:52 PM

Author
AVP1 Gift for AvPGalaxy (Read 1,491 times)

Olde

Olde

I recently found out how to change the sign in the classic Subway map in AVP1/Classic 2000.

Download link here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60066262/AVPG%20Logo%20Replacing%20Eastern%20Sign.zip

Here's a quick one I whipped up for AvPUnknown, too. x-M-x, if there's a different logo you want me to do, just send it my way. Link here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60066262/AVPU%20Logo%20Replacing%20Eastern%20Sign.zip

Apollo, hit me up with your site's logo so I can make one for you, too.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Those look awesome!

Quote from: Olde on Sep 22, 2015, 07:04:52 PM
Apollo, hit me up with your site's logo so I can make one for you, too.
Sure! Here:

Is there still tutorials for skinning in AvP1?

Olde

Olde

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 22, 2015, 07:47:26 PM
Those look awesome!
Sure! Here:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/planetavp/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_404--1694510093_zpstpkyeznc.png
Thanks! Here you go:

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60066262/GAVP%20Logo%20Replacing%20Eastern%20Sign.zip
Unfortunately some logos work better than others; this logo sort of makes the midpoint line more visible (same thing happened with a WY logo I tried to make that skewed the image) but hopefully it looks clean enough. I may try to minimise that effect when I have more time.

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 22, 2015, 07:47:26 PMIs there still tutorials for skinning in AvP1?
Yup. I made one a while back which can be found on Steam or ModDB.

I later made a totally new one, which was more concise, on a forum post, which I'll put in spoiler tags here. Feel free to use it for your site, although I would most definitely revise it to make it better if asked to contribute to your site!
Spoiler
...I also wanted to take this space to quickly explain the editing process as I do it (for textures). I know I have a guide on it but some things have slightly changed or I want to rephrase differently. Other modders will most definitely have a totally different take on how this is done and what programs they use, but this is how I do it.

Basically, I don't actually change anything in the map or models themselves. Some things, like adding high resolution textures, would require re-structuring the levels or models. What I do instead is surface-level changes. This is very easily done if you happen to have AVP Gold Edition installed. Fastfile Explorer and the Gold Tools are necessary but they can just be downloaded from ModDB.

Obviously the first thing I do is figure out what I want to change. In terms of textures, this usually means changing the color of a model, for example, an alien NPC, the predator HUD arms, the marine weapons, a wall, etc. After I figure out what I want to change, I locate that texture in the game's files. 95% of the time it will be in a fastfile in the fastfile folder. The other 5% of the time, it's a custom texture that will be located in the graphics folder. The fastfiles are for the most part pretty well organized so it usually doesn't take too long to locate the texture(s) I want to change.

I use FastFile Explorer by Leinen Brothers to open the fastfile and view the textures, which are in .RIM (Rebellion Image) format. I copy the texture via the copy function and paste it into MS Paint (it doesn't really matter what program you use, MS Paint is just the quickest). There I save it as a .BMP (bitmap) file. I then open this .BMP in PhotoShop where I make whatever changes I want. Usually this means using the color-correct brush or adding a translucent layer.

Once I'm done editing the texture, I save it as a different .BMP. Then I go over to the texconv.exe program, which is installed with the Gold Tools and found in the Fox\Aliens versus Predator\tools folder. In the program, I select Add New File, I locate the edited texture, and click OK. What this does is make a .RIM of the .BMP and puts it in the Fox\Aliens versus Predator\graphics folder. Texconv.exe will ONLY read .BMPs so it's essential you don't save it as a .JPG or .PNG.

After that, I take the new .RIM and move it elsewhere, preferably to a folder containing all the relevant files pertaining to this texture. I make a copy of the fastfile I want to replace, rename it, and open it. I go to Import and select the new .RIM. Then I rename this .RIM so it replaces the old texture and voíla, the fastfile is now updated. I copy the new fastfile and paste it into the Aliens versus Predator Classic\fastfile folder and replace the old file with the new one. Then all there is left to do is go into the game and check it out! All things considered, it's an incredibly easy process if a little time-consuming. Really the most annoying part (aside from editing the texture itself) is turning the .BMP into a .RIM and adding the .RIM to the fastfile, but it's nothing ridiculous.
[close]

I also recently uncovered a long-lost website that has some really good tutorials. I even talked to the guy, Digital Art Brush, who's really cool and gave me a few skins. The principles here are pretty much the same for each one but Art Brush goes into detail in regard to the specific texture files, which can be confusing to the uninitiated. Note that you don't actually need PhotoShop to do these (I use MS Paint for 90% of the skins I make) but it does make it easier.

Somewhat related, Bladeghost (aka Scythewraith), a legend among AVP1 map makers, made an awesome tutorial on AVP1 level-making.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Awesome Olde,

;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Haha! That is brilliant! Thanks, Olde.  ;D

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Olde on Sep 22, 2015, 08:28:55 PM
Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 22, 2015, 07:47:26 PM
Those look awesome!
Sure! Here:
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/planetavp/Mobile%20Uploads/tmp_404--1694510093_zpstpkyeznc.png
Thanks! Here you go:

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60066262/GAVP%20Logo%20Replacing%20Eastern%20Sign.zip
Unfortunately some logos work better than others; this logo sort of makes the midpoint line more visible (same thing happened with a WY logo I tried to make that skewed the image) but hopefully it looks clean enough. I may try to minimise that effect when I have more time.

Quote from: System Apollo on Sep 22, 2015, 07:47:26 PMIs there still tutorials for skinning in AvP1?
Yup. I made one a while back which can be found on Steam or ModDB.

I later made a totally new one, which was more concise, on a forum post, which I'll put in spoiler tags here. Feel free to use it for your site, although I would most definitely revise it to make it better if asked to contribute to your site!
Spoiler
...I also wanted to take this space to quickly explain the editing process as I do it (for textures). I know I have a guide on it but some things have slightly changed or I want to rephrase differently. Other modders will most definitely have a totally different take on how this is done and what programs they use, but this is how I do it.

Basically, I don't actually change anything in the map or models themselves. Some things, like adding high resolution textures, would require re-structuring the levels or models. What I do instead is surface-level changes. This is very easily done if you happen to have AVP Gold Edition installed. Fastfile Explorer and the Gold Tools are necessary but they can just be downloaded from ModDB.

Obviously the first thing I do is figure out what I want to change. In terms of textures, this usually means changing the color of a model, for example, an alien NPC, the predator HUD arms, the marine weapons, a wall, etc. After I figure out what I want to change, I locate that texture in the game's files. 95% of the time it will be in a fastfile in the fastfile folder. The other 5% of the time, it's a custom texture that will be located in the graphics folder. The fastfiles are for the most part pretty well organized so it usually doesn't take too long to locate the texture(s) I want to change.

I use FastFile Explorer by Leinen Brothers to open the fastfile and view the textures, which are in .RIM (Rebellion Image) format. I copy the texture via the copy function and paste it into MS Paint (it doesn't really matter what program you use, MS Paint is just the quickest). There I save it as a .BMP (bitmap) file. I then open this .BMP in PhotoShop where I make whatever changes I want. Usually this means using the color-correct brush or adding a translucent layer.

Once I'm done editing the texture, I save it as a different .BMP. Then I go over to the texconv.exe program, which is installed with the Gold Tools and found in the Fox\Aliens versus Predator\tools folder. In the program, I select Add New File, I locate the edited texture, and click OK. What this does is make a .RIM of the .BMP and puts it in the Fox\Aliens versus Predator\graphics folder. Texconv.exe will ONLY read .BMPs so it's essential you don't save it as a .JPG or .PNG.

After that, I take the new .RIM and move it elsewhere, preferably to a folder containing all the relevant files pertaining to this texture. I make a copy of the fastfile I want to replace, rename it, and open it. I go to Import and select the new .RIM. Then I rename this .RIM so it replaces the old texture and voíla, the fastfile is now updated. I copy the new fastfile and paste it into the Aliens versus Predator Classic\fastfile folder and replace the old file with the new one. Then all there is left to do is go into the game and check it out! All things considered, it's an incredibly easy process if a little time-consuming. Really the most annoying part (aside from editing the texture itself) is turning the .BMP into a .RIM and adding the .RIM to the fastfile, but it's nothing ridiculous.
[close]

I also recently uncovered a long-lost website that has some really good tutorials. I even talked to the guy, Digital Art Brush, who's really cool and gave me a few skins. The principles here are pretty much the same for each one but Art Brush goes into detail in regard to the specific texture files, which can be confusing to the uninitiated. Note that you don't actually need PhotoShop to do these (I use MS Paint for 90% of the skins I make) but it does make it easier.

Somewhat related, Bladeghost (aka Scythewraith), a legend among AVP1 map makers, made an awesome tutorial on AVP1 level-making.
Thank you Olde, I'll give it a shot! It's been a long time since I've skinned for these games, I want to get back into it. We have a lot of new features since back then so I'm curious as to what could be made of it. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed