The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 62,530 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Don't think there is a 40k thread yet, so i decided to create one :P

I played 40k since 3rd edition and while i took breaks from the hobby i aways returned after a while.

Would love to talk about the hobby, lore and everything that belongs to it. There has beein quiet the shakeup, lore and rule wise in recent history.
So that can be a good starting point for discussion. But feel free to mention anything you are interessted in talking about.
If you have some nice painted minis or conversions, feel free to brag and show them. :)

Any other fans out there?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The lore fascinates me so I read the novels, but I don't own any of the tabletop gaming material.  The only video game I ever played was Space Marine, which I liked a lot.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm a big fan of the 40k lore, and I build and paint miniatures, and I'm somewhat less interested in the tabletop game (although I do play it occasionally).

The depth and breadth of the lore just blows my mind, though. It's like "Star Wars"-levels of intricate but it's not a part of the pop-culture consciousness to nearly the same degree.

Space Marine is a fantastic game, and I wish it would get a sequel. Some other winners are Dawn of War 1 and 2 (if you like real-time strategy games), Regicide (if you like chess, or especially Battle Chess), and Mechanicus (if you like XCOM).

As I think about it, I was going to make a separate thread for this but I might as well post it here.

There's a really fun mobile game for iPhone/Android called "Freeblade", where you play as an Imperial Knight and stomp around and kill Orks by the hundreds and blow stuff up. It lets you customize your own Knight and kit it out with different weapons, custom paint schemes and decals, all kinds of stuff. I got totally addicted to the game and dumped an unhealthy number of hours into it, and then I got the crazy idea to build my in-game Knight in real life.

So I did it.

The in-game model is actually very accurate to the miniature's sculpt, so I went out of my way to color match the miniature to the game as closely as possible, including individual pipes and hoses in the superstructure, the patterns on the banner fringe, and the colors of weapon lenses. I had to make a couple of concessions because the pieces were too tiny or tucked away where my paint brush couldn't reach, or the in-game model didn't quite match up to the miniature, and I couldn't match up the decals because I had to work with what came with the model kit, but other than that it's a very accurate recreation of my in-game Knight. I even threw in the game's multicolored purity seals as an "easter egg".

Vertigo

Vertigo

Wow! That really is a fantastic piece of paintwork, utterly flawless as far as I can see. I particularly like the silver drybrushing on the mechanicals.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Sadly I haven't read the books yet but I have been fascinated from the bits of lore I have read or played in video games. A world where humans have become advanced yet utterly ruthless in their goals.
A friend recommended for me to read the horus heresy (I think its called), I am going to try and get it when I have time.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 30, 2018, 11:27:33 AM
Sadly I haven't read the books yet but I have been fascinated from the bits of lore I have read or played in video games. A world where humans have become advanced yet utterly ruthless in their goals.
A friend recommended for me to read the horus heresy (I think its called), I am going to try and get it when I have time.
the Horus Heresy is the sort of prequel storyline to the "contemporary" Warhammer 40k setting. It used to be sort of background stuff that would occasionally get referenced in sourcebooks and the like, but lately it's been getting its own (utterly massive) book series that's been running for several years now, and is finally entering the last act. If your friend is recommending that you "read the horus heresy" you might want to ask for clarification on what he means - the Horus Heresy book series is over 50 books and growing. :P

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Well....damn..

Oh well, at least I will have plenty to read!  :laugh:

Vertigo

Vertigo

I can certainly vouch for Eisenhorn if you're looking for WH40K books. It did a huge amount to flesh out the general existence of people living in that universe (not just the superhero warrior monks, infinite armies and immortal psychic daemons), so is maybe the most foundational piece of WH40K writing since the original Rogue Trader game. Gaunt's Ghosts by the same writer followed along those lines too.

It's not part of the Horus Heresy setting though. Eisenhorn is just a random Inquisitor in the 'current' day of WH40K (so the year 40,000). The Horus Heresy is the series of events around the year 30,000 which ended humanity's relatively optimistic phase and brought about the long decline and Grim Darkness of the rest of the canon. Stories set around that time tend to revolve around living demigods responsible for billions of lives, rather than the small-scale skirmishes in Eisenhorn.

(This all comes with the caveat that I've read very few Warhammer novels. If you just want to learn about the universe, it's probably best to pick up the rulebook. Been a while since I last bought one, but they tend to cover all the basics.)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Alternately if you just want Cliffs Notes of the lore, the Lexicanum fan-wiki is a very good place to start.

Also Dan Abnett is arguably the best author in the Black Library stable, anything by him is worth your time.

The novels cover a pretty broad range of topics, though - if you like Space Marines, there are a lot (A LOT) of novels about Space Marines, with most of the well-known chapters getting their own novels or series. If you want to read about Chaos Space Marines, there's a pretty good selection of those, too.

If you want more lighthearted 40k, I highly recommend the Ciaphas Cain books - they've been collected into two omnibuses.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

There's also some damn good YouTube channels on 40k lore in case you don't have time to read the books or wikis.  I like these two the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyPjE1Sn-Ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpmaNo_I31A

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

40k Theories is a really good channel, the guy who runs it tries to make things (reasonably) accessible for newcomers, and also has a bunch of "40k for dummies" introductory videos. He does a lot of "theory" videos, but unlike the vast majority of fandom clickbait theories, he exhaustively researches his stuff and provides citations for everything, and even takes the time to debunk his own theory and provide alternate interpretations and explanations, it's really refreshing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What if it turns out that the Tyranids were created by the Men of Iron?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm sure he'll have a video about it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 30, 2018, 08:28:29 AM
Space Marine is a fantastic game, and I wish it would get a sequel. Some other winners are Dawn of War 1 and 2 (if you like real-time strategy games), Regicide (if you like chess, or especially Battle Chess), and Mechanicus (if you like XCOM).

Lookee what's on sale...

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/deals-with-gold

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I'm painting up a Dreadnought in honor of the the Astral Knights Space Marine Chapter. I'd wanted an excuse to paint and build a Dreadnought just because I think they look cool and their mere concept is hilarious to me, and the Astral Knights' story is just too badass not to acknowledge.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed