Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Dec 31, 2016, 12:13:06 AM

Author
Scott says "Covenant is about mortality and immortality!! (Read 33,651 times)

Ingwar

Quote from: shawsbaby on Dec 31, 2016, 09:58:42 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 31, 2016, 09:51:59 PM

It's common practice.

Well, I know films commonly screen before release, but it seems strange they'd do so for a big film in an established franchise that benefits from keeping things a surprise, especially since leaks and spoilers are utterly impossible to stop these days. Apart from industry, I don't know why they'd risk it.

You might be right but the question remains: who really reads those leaks? Only die-hard fans. Random audience know shit :).

Protozoid

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 31, 2016, 10:24:17 PM
Quote from: shawsbaby on Dec 31, 2016, 09:58:42 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 31, 2016, 09:51:59 PM
It's common practice.

Well, I know films commonly screen before release, but it seems strange they'd do so for a big film in an established franchise that benefits from keeping things a surprise, especially since leaks and spoilers are utterly impossible to stop these days. Apart from industry, I don't know why they'd risk it.

You might be right but the question remains: who really reads those leaks? Only die-hard fans. Random audience know shit :).
True. Most people do not care about test screening leaks. But this might be a unique situation where a leak effected the opinions of the fans. I'm sure if would effect the box office of the next Star Wars film if there were confirmed reports that
Spoiler
Rey would die offscreen before the start of Episode VIII
[close]
. Nobody would believe that this was the original plan, and it would be all too obvious that interference is occurring on the highest levels. That might actually effect the box office.

PRJ_since1990

Is anyone really surprised that Scott has become/has been a narcissist? Big block buster movies, prestige and fame, knighting, awards, etc...

As one of the few Christians on the forum here, I read a lot of interesting posts to say the least. While I don't like Prometheus' attempt to turn the scifi horror franchise I grew up with into an "ancient alien/extraterrestrial creation " propaganda tale, I still intend to see this film and see how it stacks up against the other films. For me, the Alien franchise has always been about Ripley, her survival against impossible odds, the nastiest species ever encountered, and why space is unforgiving. If anything, the films say "don't bother looking for aliens, you'll regret what you find!!!" :) 

Regardless of your own personal faith or ideology, these films are just that. Films. Science FICTION. No doubt Scott has taken the series in a bold direction, considering the original movie and its sequels, and his own views have influenced the direction. As an art form, films can be enjoyed and hated all the same and we're all entitled to our own opinions.

If we respect each other and make sure to post SPOILERS when necessary, the forum will continue to thrive!

Also, I wouldn't believe a thing from 4chan. It literally is the collective cesspool of the internet.

windebieste

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 01, 2017, 01:33:52 AM
Also, I wouldn't believe a thing from 4chan. It literally is the collective cesspool of the internet.

BWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!  So true.  At least don't rely solely on 4Chan as a reliable source - always get your information verified if it comes from 4Chan.

Mind you, 4Chan does have its uses.  Like, gathering all the trolls in one place.  It's too bad they just don't stay there.

-Windebieste.

DorkiDori

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 01, 2017, 01:58:20 AM
Mind you, 4Chan does have its uses....

yeah it does... pr0n :D

Necronomicon II

Pepe's birth place lol

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jan 01, 2017, 01:33:52 AM

As one of the few Christians on the forum here, I read a lot of interesting posts to say the least.

If we respect each other and make sure to post SPOILERS when necessary, the forum will continue to thrive!

You are not the only Christian, here, PRJ....so don't feel too lonely.  I haven't posted in a few years, but used to be a regular.  I agree with your post, completely.  I am a scientist, by background, and accept the Modern Synthesis of Evolutionary Theory as the correct scientific explanation of life's development on Earth.  With that said, I see the complex beauty, contingency, and the evolution of humanity (in the fullness of time) as a shining, ne plus ultra example of God's Providence at work in our physical Universe.  In my personal case, it was the deeper study of physics and advanced mathematics which helped serve to reinforce my Faith.  As a devout Catholic, we understand that there exists no contradiction or incompatibility between Faith and Science. 

"Faith and science: "Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth." "Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are." -- CCC #159

Cheers,
John

NickisSmart

Haha, love the Malmsteen quote. Imagine what would've happened had he drank the water!

I think Scott has every right to be confident and tell people to f**k off, if he wants. I mean, he's Ridley Scott. He's made a name for himself and there's no doubt he's worked very hard to get where he's at. I think the people who attack him feel threatened by his success or annoyed being in his shadow.

I'm not saying you can't level legitimate criticism at the guy but just getting miffed at him for being narcissistic. Well, it's hard to get anywhere in the world the way Scott has done without being somewhat arrogant. It's just fuel that gives one drive.

Necronomicon II

BringbackJonesy!

It's interesting to see Ridley's comments on his own belief system, and certainly explains the overtly 'religious' allusions that he included in PROMETHEUS storyline. 

I personally don't believe that any kind of 'supernatural anomaly' is behind the creation of our world and the cosmos at large, and am more inclined to believe that life 'found a way' in some random, naturalistic manner instead.  For one example - if the 'multi-verse' theory is correct, then there could be countless times (yes, even trillions) that different 'universes' have popped into existence over aeons of time - and ours is one that just happened to involve all the random processes necessary to end up with the habitable planet that we've evolved on.  What triggered our particular universe (or even the multi-verse) in the first place? - well, I can't say, but I'm content to think it was due to some as-yet-unknown 'natural' trigger, rather than because of some pre-existing 'supernatural' event.

As far as Ridley's PROMETHEUS storyline however, I never really liked the 'Chariots Of The Gods' concept that he went with in the first place, where our human evolution involved intervention by others from another planet (the 'Engineers').  It's interesting enough in the sense that he's able to intertwine that concept with humans then going on to create robots in our own image...but to be honest, I'd have preferred a storyline which didn't involve 'tall humanoid aliens' whatsoever.

While I'll always love watching Ridley's fantastic visual sense, whatever he comes up with for these latest movies, I've come to the conclusion that I prefer to look on his whole 'Engineers'/'Chariots Of The Gods' storyline as some kind of 'what if?'/'alternative universe' scenario which is totally unconnected to his more 'Giger'-esque original classic ALIEN with it's NON-'space-suited' space jockey!  And I'll continue to keep ALIENS as a worthy follow-up sequel, and look on ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RES as mere 'hypersleep nightmares' Ripley endures. :P

This way, I'm gonna go into ALIEN COVENANT with some renewed anticipation after the many miss-steps of PROMETHEUS.  I haven't read the 'spoilers', and won't watch any further trailers...so hopefully there will be something of interest in this 'alternative' storyline for me to take away.  I'll certainly give PROMETHEUS another re-watch before I go see this continuation, but it will be Agent 9's excellent 'special edition' which I go to for that.

Enoch

Enoch

There is nothing random in the Universe... I can tell you that. Regarding God question... I personally believe there is more than meets the eye. Even with multiple universes/times or whatever you say... all that came from nothing, or perhaps existed forever... or came from the explosion of the previous universe, or is just a projection of non material information... no matter what... there is more than just a coincidence for us and everything else to be here and to say/understand and comprehend that we are indeed here. God is that knowledge, that eternal and everlasting information of everything that is and will be. It strange how calculated things in the Universe are... very strange.

Pvt. Himmel

He builds his lofty palace in the heavens
and sets its foundation on the earth;
he calls for the waters of the sea
and pours them out over the face of the land—
the Lord is his name.
The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone,
I will make a helper suitable for him."
Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness,
so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky,
over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures
that move along the ground."
So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth
and on the sea, and all that is in them, saying: "To him who sits on the
throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for
ever and ever!"
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has
gone, the new is here!
Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker,
those who are nothing but potsherds
among the potsherds on the ground.
Does the clay say to the potter,
'What are you making?'
Does your work say,
'The potter has no hands'?

ReluctantNerd

I would have been more than happy had Scott been able to do a Ancient Aliens trilogy, disconnected from the Alien franchise. It's a fascinating theory that can really get the imagination going, and the look of the original Engineers was a really good look for that. Jesus as an engineer, why not, just not in the Alien universe, and not so vaguely referenced, as if the writers were unsure they could get away with it. I really feel both the Ancient Alien and "Alien" stories being forced together has muddled both. But still I guess the whole story arc he's doing now can be enjoyable in a Heavy Metal, pulpy out-on-a-weird-planet-with-no-helmet-on way. I look at Prometheus that way now and it works as an in-over-its-head silly sci fi story wirh serious themes that go nowhere unless you apply a lot of your own imagination... I've decided to try to enjoy the mess.

MICHELLE JOHNSTON

MICHELLE JOHNSTON

I was most intrigued to see how you guys would react to Rldley's remarks and the response is, unlike scified, rather than hint at entitlement makes it much more bare faced.

May I also say this is not a criticism it is merely an observation which has been growing in my mind for sometime.

Essentially Ridley has taken an outcome of various minds from 1978 the Xenomorph and said lets give it context what does this mean.

Given what had been offered since it is easy to be distracted but it is essentially someone saying we struck gold with this notion of reproduction for its own sake without a moral compass or environment how might that have happened. Or to put it another way the beast in a tin can is cooked and comes across as gratuitous with subtexts of rape and domination unless you explain how.

What I get from reading many entries here is people do not want that. They want the zenomorph to remain/be ancient magnificent a mystery which is unconquerable and special.

In Ridleys mind its nearly always been a weapon an unthinking cat out of the bag piece of nihilism.

If he wants to tell a story which says thanks to Promethean Minds (Engineers, Peter Weyland) over inquisitiveness and unpreparedness to accept mortality as an accident or as a booby trap a mutagen was created which had zeno characteristics which re organised its victim and made it predatory over sexualised and deeply unsympathetic to its own hosts original natural intent I will say he has made a neat morality tale and if he ruins the mystique of this nasty parasitic retributive creature where humiliation and punishment is the programme I am good to go.

Just one final thought if AC     

If AC has great characters (which we do not know yet) and a great story (which we do not know yet) then most people including me will be captured by that rather than worrying about helmet protocols.

I would love to see some of the analysis that goes on here be applied to Shakespeare. "How stupid was it to rely on a messenger to get through to Romeo"  Didn't Lear's madness seem contrived anyway.

fiveways

Quote from: Protozoid on Dec 31, 2016, 10:48:38 PM
Spoiler
Rey would die offscreen before the start of Episode VIII
[close]

That's about the only thing that would get me to see that movie in the theatre.

Spoiler
Sadly they are going to have to do that with Princess Leia.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed