Predator: Hunting Grounds @ Tokyo Game Show

Started by Kailem, Sep 15, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ Tokyo Game Show (Read 8,145 times)

Kailem

I'm not sure that this deserves its own thread so I'll just post it in here even though it's not technically about the Gamescom coverage, though if anyone wants to spin it off into one that's cool.

Anyways, Hunting Grounds was at the Tokyo Game Show this week and a few articles have gone up with some new information, albeit in Japanese (though thankfully nothing auto-translate can't handle), one on the Japanese Playstation blog and two from Famitsu:

https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog/detail/8932/20190912-predator-2.html?emcid=so-st-213464&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=20190912_sieja_social&utm_source=&utm_term=so-st-213464&utm_content=

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201909/13183235.html

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201909/12183079.html

There's some good info and some bad info revealed between them. For those who just want a quick summary:

The good (or just informative)!

-The fire team chooses their infiltration area on the map, rather than it being just one fixed spawn every time, which should help with keeping each round fresh and making the Predator have to guess where they might be and hunt them down. In the Famitsu demo there were four locations to choose from, and the one the reporter picked was called "waterfall".

-The Predator has an ability called "second wind" which allows him to escape if he's downed, but at the cost of not being able to attack while he uses it. It's purely a retreat/second chance mechanic.

-He can use his medicomp to heal himself a maximum of twice per match.

-The mud the human players can use to cover themselves falls off/wears off over time, or if you fire your weapons, so it sounds like it's better to try and be as stealthy as possible when you're in that state if you want it to last.

-The points you earn in-game will be used to unlock weapons, skins and items. Taking trophies from the human players you kill will net you more points, so you'll want to try and claim as many of them as possible not just for a temporary points bonus in that one match, but to help unlock more stuff faster (and as we already heard about before, making trophies of men also prevents them from being revived, and means they're out of the match for longer until a teammate makes it to a reinforcement point).

-The human players will be able to customise their weapons and it's implied their appearances too.

-They're currently aiming for there to be around 20-30 npc's in a match.

The bad:

-No Predator 2-style urban maps. Every map is going to be in the jungle, with different variations, which sadly I figured would be the case based on everything we'd seen and heard before, and Illfonic's previous track record with Friday the 13th (which launched with just 3 maps, all of which were the same theme, before eventually increasing to five). One of the devs apparently even said of urban maps that "there is no difference in elevation" and so it wouldn't really work, which seems.....wrong. Either way it's an unfortunate shoe to have drop, but also sadly a very much expected one.

-Not entirely surprising given that we saw it in some of those gameplay videos, but matches are on a timer. If time runs out points are tallied up based on number of kills, objectives completed etc., and the winner is decided that way. Kinda sucky given that we've (rightly) heard a lot about how the correct approach to playing the Predator is to take your time and wait for the right moment to strike. Hopefully the time limit will be generous enough that most matches don't end that way though, rather than forcing all players to just rush to do everything purely so they don't run out of time.

The lost in translation:

-It sounds as though we might actually be able to choose whether or not we want to play as the Predator (unlike choosing to play as Jason in Friday the 13th), but the translation is unclear. It could also be a "choose your preference" kind of thing again like in that game, so still no concrete confirmation there one way or the other.

-The answer to the question of whether or not the Predator will have more weapons than just the ones we've seen so far was unclear, but given that one of those B-roll videos from Gamescom showed 7 slots in the Predator's weapon/gadget select it seems like the answer is likely "yes".

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 15, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

The bad:

-No Predator 2-style urban maps. Every map is going to be in the jungle, with different variations, which sadly I figured would be the case based on everything we'd seen and heard before, and Illfonic's previous track record with Friday the 13th (which launched with just 3 maps, all of which were the same theme, before eventually increasing to five). One of the devs apparently even said of urban maps that "there is no difference in elevation" and so it wouldn't really work, which seems.....wrong. Either way it's an unfortunate shoe to have drop, but also sadly a very much expected one.

No elevation? Roof tops, buildings ledges, fire escapes, high wire, balconies, streetlights, traffic lights, windowsills, more windowsills, statues, garbage chutes, flagposts, parked trucks, vans, large dumpsters..!

Still Collating...

Exactly.

I think when we read between the lines, it means that making a full city district is much harder than similar looking trees and nature environments.

The Kurgan

Shame. Well, maybe as additional content in the future or, if god wills, and it's good AND successful in a sequel.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Kurgan on Sep 16, 2019, 03:34:58 PM
Shame. Well, maybe as additional content in the future or, if god wills, and it's good AND successful in a sequel.

From your lips to the all powerful's ears!

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 16, 2019, 03:31:14 PM
Exactly.

I think when we read between the lines, it means that making a full city district is much harder than similar looking trees and nature environments.

True, but city alleyways at night and in shadows gets easier I think.

Kailem

Kailem

I wouldn't be surprised if it was an attempt to justify a budgetary decision. Much cheaper to make several maps all using the same jungle assets rather than several maps made with jungle assets and urban ones. Because yeah, Concrete Jungle and Predator 2 didn't seem to have any problems with finding elevation for their Predators to use.

Though sadly it also probably means a Predators-style hunting planet is out too, since it'd be pretty difficult to chopper the human players in and out when the map is set on a different planet. :P

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 16, 2019, 03:20:04 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Sep 15, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

The bad:

No elevation? Roof tops, buildings ledges, fire escapes, high wire, balconies, streetlights, traffic lights, windowsills, more windowsills, statues, garbage chutes, flagposts, parked trucks, vans, large dumpsters..!

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7btY0wnQWLZzL2JW/giphy.gif

I just hope nobody tells Ubisoft. If they find that out, every Assassin's Creed game going all the way back to the first one is screwed!

JokersWarPig

For now I'd say the closest we'll get to anything urban will be if one of these maps has a village of some kind.

Voodoo Magic

You're probably right.  :-\

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 16, 2019, 04:41:44 PM

I just hope nobody tells Ubisoft. If they find that out, every Assassin's Creed game going all the way back to the first one is screwed!

:laugh:

Kailem

That's a nice optical illusion, almost looks like he's running up the wall! Must be some sort of weird reverse "flat Earth" conspiracy-type deal!

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 16, 2019, 05:22:09 PM
For now I'd say the closest we'll get to anything urban will be if one of these maps has a village of some kind.

Yeah at the very least that'd be a nice area to have on the map. Hopefully there are multiple points of interest dotted around the place rather than the whole thing just being "generic jungle and nothing but".

SuperiorIronman

I'm not surprised about the jungle given that so much of it seems to be based off the first movie.

They could ease into it through a small town however. We do have a cinematic basis for them running around towns like in AVP-R and of course in The Predator.

Jesscobb

Gotta admit,I'm a lil ticked off..it's only on PlayStation...🤬

Dingbat

I agree, hopefully in the far future you will be able to get ps4 emulators like the ps1 emulators we have today on PC

Still Collating...

If they're smart, they're gonna port it to PC sooner or later. However good the game might be, it will die if it's only on PS4. This is a niche product for a limited, niche fanbase, and they need as much of us as possible to make it a success. The graphics aren't crazy, there's no need to keep it on the PS4 only forever. I haven't got a console, and I never will. We'll see what happens.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 20, 2019, 09:38:37 AM
If they're smart, they're gonna port it to PC sooner or later. However good the game might be, it will die if it's only on PS4. This is a niche product for a limited, niche fanbase, and they need as much of us as possible to make it a success. The graphics aren't crazy, there's no need to keep it on the PS4 only forever. I haven't got a console, and I never will. We'll see what happens.
It will live through compatibility on PS5.

Then there is this even if it is a second party game.
https://gematsu.com/2019/08/sony-interactive-entertainments-shawn-layden-suggests-some-first-party-multiplayer-titles-will-come-to-additional-platforms

Shamo

I gotta say I am really looking forward to this one! I feel they have exactly the right ideas to make this an interesting multiplayer game.

Panic and Celebration Moments.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed