Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,254 times)

PierreVW

Quote from: Alionic on May 30, 2017, 02:15:02 AM
Fox is clearly waiting on the Chinese box office returns before publicly announcing a decision on the sequel, which makes all the adamant assertions from many of you here that "hurr the franchise is dead kthxbye' that much more eye-rolling and pathetic.  If something as bad as Resident Evil: The Final Chapter made $160 million in China, then Covenant has a solid chance of making $100 million there at the very least.

I hope you are right.

fiveways

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 01:50:42 AM
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:    $59,972,181      37.3%
+ Foreign:    $101,009,281      62.7%
= Worldwide:    $160,981,462   

Globally will save this movie overall.  I think this proves how polarizing "Prometheus" really was.   I'm sorry but you can't make an Alien movie without the Alien and this is coming from someone that liked the film.   If the Deacon had a bigger role, maybe people wouldn't be so on the fence with "Covenant".   I think us diehards forget general/causal audiences really complained about the lack of "Alien" in the last film.   Now they may be on the fence for this one.  With all that said I don't think it' doing that bad.   "Prometheus" and "Covenant" = 560+ Million Globally is not bad so Ridley shouldn't feel he failed bringing the franchise back.  I think "Awakening" should come quicker and not be a 5 year wait again.

That still isn't break even point.  They have to make at least another 50m between Japan and China to even begin to break even.

Quote from: PierreVW on May 30, 2017, 12:06:08 AM
Quote from: NickisSmart on May 29, 2017, 11:33:54 PM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 29, 2017, 10:32:57 PM
LOL at the people taking shots at the Fast & Furious franchise. Yes, some of the movies are terrible, but others are undeniably awesome.

The same could be said of the Alien franchise.

I disagree.

ALIEN and ALIENS are masterpieces and 2 of the greatest movies of all time.

The 8 Fast & Furious movies are FAR from masterpieces.

I hate everyone of those movies with a burning passion, but a few of them have higher critic scores on Rotten Tomato's than Prometheus and Covenant. 

Also of interest is Covenant has slipped below Prometheus's RT score.

PierreVW

Quote from: fiveways on May 30, 2017, 02:39:02 AM
Total Lifetime Grosses

Globally will save this movie overall.  I think this proves how polarizing "Prometheus" really was.   I'm sorry but you can't make an Alien movie without the Alien and this is coming from someone that liked the film.   If the Deacon had a bigger role, maybe people wouldn't be so on the fence with "Covenant".   I think us diehards forget general/causal audiences really complained about the lack of "Alien" in the last film.   Now they may be on the fence for this one.  With all that said I don't think it' doing that bad.   "Prometheus" and "Covenant" = 560+ Million Globally is not bad so Ridley shouldn't feel he failed bringing the franchise back.  I think "Awakening" should come quicker and not be a 5 year wait again.

That still isn't break even point.  They have to make at least another 50m between Japan and China to even begin to break even.

LOL at the people taking shots at the Fast & Furious franchise. Yes, some of the movies are terrible, but others are undeniably awesome.

I disagree.

I hate everyone of those movies with a burning passion, but a few of them have higher critic scores on Rotten Tomato's than Prometheus and Covenant. 

Like I said before: you are taking RT too seriously. RT is nothing.

Remember All Critics Killed BLADE RUNNER in 1982. All Critics NEVER worked in a film.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: PierreVW on May 30, 2017, 02:42:04 AM
Total Lifetime Grosses

I disagree.

Remember All Critics Killed BLADE RUNNER in 1982. All Critics NEVER worked in a film.

That actually isn't true.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065466/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_8

That is because the original version of Blade Runner is actually kinda the shits,  It's filled with interesting ideas but is killed by the forced narrative choices.  The directors cut and final cut though are great.  Yes I am old enough to see every version in order of release, which is watching a movie get better and better as time goes on.  I'll never be a fan of the 1982 version. 

People view RT as gospel in some circles.  I was just pointing out critic reviews.  I personally hate RT and most modern critics as most come off as people who more get off seeing movies before everyone else.  They are the review equal of people who post "FIRST" on youtube videos or make "reacts" videos.

PierreVW

Quote from: fiveways on May 30, 2017, 02:52:14 AM
Quote from: PierreVW on May 30, 2017, 02:42:04 AM
Total Lifetime Grosses

I disagree.

That actually isn't true.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065466/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_8

That is because the original version of Blade Runner is actually kinda the shits,  It's filled with interesting ideas but is killed by the forced narrative choices.  The directors cut and final cut though are great.  Yes I am old enough to see every version in order of release, which is watching a movie get better and better as time goes on.  I'll never be a fan of the 1982 version. 

People view RT as gospel in some circles.  I was just pointing out critic reviews.  I personally hate RT and most modern critics as most come off as people who more get off seeing movies before everyone else.  They are the review equal of people who post "FIRST" on youtube videos or make "reacts" videos.

OK.

Usually I disagree with RT. I don't care about RT. All Marvel Disney movies have HIGH notes in RT. All Marvel Disney movies are MEDIOCRE TO ME.

Aquarius8

I with you guys, I'm from the Pre-RT era so I don't view it as the gospel, I only brought up the scores to show that "Prometheus" wasn't universally loved and that could be a carry over to "Covenant".   In no way was I blaming it, just analyzing that maybe some people were on the fence after it.  Yes "Covenant" still has to stand on it's own as a film and clearly there are flaws but you can't deny Predecessors effects on Box office.  Perfect example is "Episode I: Phantom Menace" which was a prequel too.   

It broke so many records and didn't get horrible reviews at the time of it's release yet by the time "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" came it, it dropped in Box office from "Menace" because it was a polarizing film.   I honestly feel like Ridley can't win at this point.  They complained about the lack of Alien and then on "Covenant" he tries to bring that back and he still criticized. George Lucas also was criticized heavily for trying to tell Vader's full story.  Ridley only tried to tell the origin story for the Engineers but people criticized him.   Peter Jackson was also criticized for "Hobbit" prequels and the 2nd "Hobbit" film dropped after the first.   I think it's very difficult to do prequel series and satisfy everyone.

gantarat

Quote from: PierreVW on May 30, 2017, 02:37:00 AM
Quote from: Alionic on May 30, 2017, 02:15:02 AM
Fox is clearly waiting on the Chinese box office returns before publicly announcing a decision on the sequel, which makes all the adamant assertions from many of you here that "hurr the franchise is dead kthxbye' that much more eye-rolling and pathetic.  If something as bad as Resident Evil: The Final Chapter made $160 million in China, then Covenant has a solid chance of making $100 million there at the very least.

I hope you are right.

Only if Covenant have 3D and a lot of actions.

fiveways

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 03:32:29 AM
I with you guys, I'm from the Pre-RT era so I don't view it as the gospel, I only brought up the scores to show that "Prometheus" wasn't universally loved and that could be a carry over to "Covenant".   In no way was I blaming it, just analyzing that maybe some people were on the fence after it.  Yes "Covenant" still has to stand on it's own as a film and clearly there are flaws but you can't deny Predecessors effects on Box office.  Perfect example is "Episode I: Phantom Menace" which was a prequel too.   

It broke so many records and didn't get horrible reviews at the time of it's release yet by the time "Episode II: Attack of the Clones" came it, it dropped in Box office from "Menace" because it was a polarizing film.   I honestly feel like Ridley can't win at this point.  They complained about the lack of Alien and then on "Covenant" he tries to bring that back and he still criticized. George Lucas also was criticized heavily for trying to tell Vader's full story.  Ridley only tried to tell the origin story for the Engineers but people criticized him.   Peter Jackson was also criticized for "Hobbit" prequels and the 2nd "Hobbit" film dropped after the first.   I think it's very difficult to do prequel series and satisfy everyone.

The only people that complained about the lack of the alien were people on the internet and forums like these.  The general population didn't give a f**k if it was in it.  They were there to see Prometheus.  Scott switched gears and attempted to appeal to a niche audience and got burned for it.  He listened to the vocal minority of the internet.

Prometheus's issue was never the lack of xenomorph to the majority of the view audience.  It was the lack of consistent editing.

0321recon

Quote from: fiveways on May 30, 2017, 03:48:24 AM

Prometheus's issue was never the lack of xenomorph to the majority of the view audience.  It was the lack of consistent editing.

^this!

dookie

The only people that complained about the lack of the alien were people on the internet and forums like these.  The general population didn't give a f**k if it was in it.  They were there to see Prometheus.  Scott switched gears and attempted to appeal to a niche audience and got burned for it.  He listened to the vocal minority of the internet.

Nailed it, my friend. Absolutely nailed it.

AlienFanIL17

AlienFanIL17

I'm still hopeful that Covenant will get a sequel.  It will most likely be the last one, and the one that ties into the original Alien.  A lot of people have made a lot of good points on this site since the movie came out.  The powers that be just have to find that sweet spot between Prometheus and the Xeno. 

Prometheus came out and a lot of people were disappointed that the Xeno was nowhere to be found.  Then the pendulum was moved across the spectrum to the point of Covenant being basically a full blown Alien movie.  They need to find that sweet spot, in my opinion, of balancing the philosophical aspects of Prometheus and the Xeno of Alien.

I think the prequels tied their hands behind their back because of the nature of the Xeno.  It bleeds acid.  So you can't shoot it or blow it up if it's on your ship.  So the only option is the airlock like in Alien and Aliens, which has obviously already been done. 

The future of this series will be in whatever will hopefully be in Alien 5, and I'm not talking about the cancelled Alien 3.5.  I'm also not talking about Ripley necessarily.  If they have a great story to finish her out, then great.  I don't believe the Engineers are done after Covenant.  They can re-appear in an Alien 5 on other worlds.  There can be different, exotic, and more deadlier versions of the Xeno.  They need to do an Alien 5 in order to move away from the traditional Xeno that we have seen so far.  Allowing the beast to change will allow the freedom to start giving us things we've never seen.  That way you don't know what's going to happen already.  Gives us a Xeno that can be shot or blown up on a ship because it wouldn't destroy the ship with the acid blood.  To counter that perceived weakness, give it a higher intelligence so the hunt would have more tension.  The scene that pops into my head is from Aliens when Hudson says, "How could they cut the power."  I think that's why I liked the Neomorph in Covenant, and would have loved to see more of it.  That little bastard was fast, lol.

I think if Alien is to survive as a franchise, and I agree with what some have said, it can't be a traditional space horror with stupid characters just there to be lambs to the slaughter.  Alien 5 and beyond needs to keep the philosophical creation elements, I feel.  It doesn't need to be front and center, but those elements will keep the audience engaged and thinking. 

900SL

900SL

The bell curve tells us that half the planet is at or below average intelligence. Additionally 40% of the worlds population is below the age of 16.

That's the Fast and Furious Target Audience.

The old adage that nobody went broke underestimating the stupidity of the average cinemagoer holds true. There's big money in flashing lights and loud noises

The R rating requires that AC delivers on more than an adolescent level. Additionally, and because it is a sequel/prequel, it inherently has a  pedigree to live up to. It fails in that regard, and as such, has been panned by those critics that are either invested or not in the pocket of Fox.

SPECIAL FORCES

The major reason it does not do well is that they released it the after GOTG2 and before Pirates of the Caribbean. Also the trailers were not as good as the film deserved. I hope they make at least one more.I want to see the next film end before Alien starts.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 03:32:29 AM

I don't think the general public ever had a desire to see a sequel to Prometheus to be honest.

palerider

I completly agree with you.

With this pace of the box office records  I don't think Fox will give a goahead for a prerequel or a sequel

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed