Recent posts

General Discussion / Re: The Lovecraft Thread
Last post by Immortan Jonesy - Today at 02:04:35 PM
Alien Films / Re: Alien returning to theater...
Last post by Nightmare Asylum - Today at 02:03:30 PM
Showtimes are listed for me now, but my theater won't let me actually pull the trigger and order yet. Refreshing like a madman.

Don't think I'll be able to go right on 4/26, but definitely grabbing a ticket for Saturday the 27th once the theater allows me to do so.
General Film/TV Discussion / Re: All Star Wars
Last post by Immortan Jonesy - Today at 02:00:14 PM
Star Wars: The Acolyte aims to top Darth Maul lightsaber fight

Quote from: Dafne Keen vía EWYeah, that was a very frequent conversation we had. It was very much: We want to top the Darth Maul fight—the most iconic fight, I think, in the Star Wars cinematic universe. It's such an amazing fight and we were all so excited about the saber fights. There's such a skill and a craft to it that it feels so OG Star Wars and feels so impressive when you see it as a viewer.

Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by Kradan - Today at 01:59:45 PM
You're my creation
Laurence Fishburne, Casey Affleck Sci-Fi Thriller 'Slingshot' Picked Up by Signature for U.K. (EXCLUSIVE)

Quote from: VarietyProduction, sales and distribution banner Signature Entertainment has acquired U.K. and Irish rights to "Slingshot," the upcoming psychological sci-fi thriller starring Laurence Fishburne and Casey Affleck, from WME Independent.

The film — which follows an astronaut struggling to maintain his grip on reality while aboard a possibly fatally comprised mission to Saturn's moon Titan — was directed by Mikael Håfström ("Evil") from a script by Nathan Parker ("Moon") and R. Scott Adam ("Donner Pass"). David Morrissey ("The Walking Dead"), Emily Beecham ("Hail, Caesar!") and Tomer Capone ("The Boys") also star.

'Spine' Film, TV Adaptations in the Works From Story Kitchen, Game Developer Nekki (EXCLUSIVE)

Quote from: VarietyThe upcoming video game "Spine" is already being eyed for film and TV adaptations. Variety learned exclusively that "Spine" developer Nekki has teamed with Story Kitchen to develop potential adaptations of the game.

"We're pleased to begin our journey with Story Kitchen," said Nekki CEO Dmitry Terekhin. "We believe that truly great stories always stand out, and 'Spine' universe will captivate audiences across any media."

"Spine" will be released on PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox, though an exact release date is still pending. The official description of the game states it is "a female-led cyberpunk Gun Fu story set in a dystopian world. The main character, Redline, is an adventurous street artist battling against an autocratic AI regime -and its goons- to rescue her captive brother." No writer is currently attached to the project.

Quote from: St_Eddie on Yesterday at 11:35:09 PMExactly. It's Hollywood excess, bullshit spectacle and flies in the face of what the first film was all about. There's absolutely nothing to suggest that the Romans flooded their arenas and used sharks during gladiatorial battles. That particular suggested history comes from Hawaii's historical gladiatorial battles.

It's all just a case of sequelitis; "There were animals in the first film... tigers, so we better go BIGGER for the sequel." Bullshit.  I'm hating everything about this movie, from concept to regurgitated plot and 'member berries.  As though it weren't enough for Ridley Scott to sully his work on Alien with the prequels, now he's gonna sully Gladiator too.  Just... f**k off.  Sick of it.

The Colosseum being flooded for ship to ship battles is historical fact. They later modified the floor of the arena by adding underground tunnels and lifts and such as we see in the original film and that prevented the ability to flood it after that.

Naumachias were mostly held in specially built basins designed for the purpose. Almost like the Circus Maximus but built for ships rather than chariots.

I've never seen any mention of sharks being put into the water so that likely is a bit of a dodgy fabrication. But I suspect if the Romans could have done it they probably would have.

Rhinos and crocodiles were used in the Colosseum, but I doubt it's possible to ride a rhinoceros as described in the footage shown.

But at the end of the day, the film is just entertainment, not a historical documentary.
Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by Slutty Badger - Today at 01:13:36 PM
They can bill me.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed