Prometheus Rated 15 in UK

Started by Darkoo, May 09, 2012, 09:34:46 AM

Author
Prometheus Rated 15 in UK (Read 9,804 times)

Promethean Fire

Promethean Fire

Quote from: Divpax on May 09, 2012, 04:19:49 PM
Quote from: Promethean Fire on May 09, 2012, 01:23:51 PM
The original Alien is definite 15 material nowadays though.  Off the top of my head, I think there is only one f-bomb?  The violence is brief and sharp, not lingering and gratuitous.  Its mainly its tone which is unsettling.  The chestburster scene renders this all moot though.  The most violent, disturbing, bloody scene cranks it right up to an 18. 

I think Prometheus' apparent companion scene
Spoiler
The C-Sec scene
[close]
will not even come close in rivalling its intensity.
But Alien IS a 15, it was reclassified.

Yeah, that's what I was inferring.  It could have been a 15 back in '79 if not for the chestburster scene.  The "Director's Cut" in 2003 dropped it down to 15.

deadlydanscott

deadlydanscott

My first post after reading for several months...thought I'd deliver this good official news.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/recent/films/

excellent!

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I think the reason this rubs some parts of the fandom the wrong way is because of the psychosexual components of Giger's stuff. The fact he's been reported for a good long while as having no more impact on the film than designing some murals, already gave people an impression that the hoped for return to those halcyon days of 'what if', might never come to be. If given the choice between Giger having major contributions to the designs and tone of a film and it being directed by Ridley Scott? I'd almost put money on at least two thirds of fans voting enthusiastically for the Giger option.

A 15 rating is a double-edged sword. You can imply a heck of a lot with ambiguity and I've always used Lambert's death scene as an example of this. It's probably the most disturbing of the entire series and much of that has to do with the audio heard over speakers, reminiscent of an agonising birth, immediately after that worrying implication of a tail slowly creeping up between her thighs. But... There are also a lot of films with a 15 rating which are awfully tame.

I know that Ridley Scott's repeatedly said he wants to scare the shit out of people, but we still don't know what his standard of 'scary' is, these days. He might have gone down the path of people like Moffat, in charge of today's 'Doctor Who', who maintain that the scariest possible things are often the most mundane. Hotel rooms, darkness and so on... It's totally plausible that we might get a version of 'Prometheus' which is very inferior, horror-wise, to the kind of subject matter implied with 'Alien'.

As always, time will tell. But I think we might be jinxing the thing by heralding this as the most awesome possible thing to happen for the project.

zoidy

zoidy

Quote from: deadlydanscott on May 10, 2012, 11:28:35 AM
My first post after reading for several months...thought I'd deliver this good official news.

excellent!
Excellent indeed. To quote the BBFC:

Contains strong violence, gore, threat and horror

Thats everything I was looking for!

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Promethean Fire on May 09, 2012, 04:32:58 PM
The original Alien is definite 15 material nowadays though.  Off the top of my head, I think there is only one f-bomb?  The violence is brief and sharp, not lingering and gratuitous.  Its mainly its tone which is unsettling.  The chestburster scene renders this all moot though.  The most violent, disturbing, bloody scene cranks it right up to an 18. 

Spoiler
The C-Sec scene
[close]

Yeah, that's what I was inferring.  It could have been a 15 back in '79 if not for the chestburster scene.  The "Director's Cut" in 2003 dropped it down to 15.

Yeah it must have been a 15 in 2003, because I had just turned 14, and managed to get in to a screening of it - back then I absolutely could not get in for 18's and I distinctly remember not even being ID'd.

Wonder why the Director's Cut was a 15, but the Theatrical Cut has remained an 18.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Note also the running time, 123 minutes 36 seconds.

2 hr 3 m 36 for those who thought 119 minutes was 1 hr 19 a while back...

Gash

Gash

Quote from: zoidy on May 10, 2012, 03:52:33 PM
Quote from: deadlydanscott on May 10, 2012, 11:28:35 AM

excellent!
Excellent indeed. To quote the BBFC:

Thats everything I was looking for!

Threat, horror and violence all get a thumbs up, and I've always liked the way Ridley handles gore with very rapid edits that are suggestive more than needlessly graphic. Although I must admit that films like the Final Destination and Saw films and those that have followed in their wake like Piranha 3D with their 'gleefuly'(?) lingering gore have turned me right off of it. However I'll put that down to incompetence on their part for relying too much on showing every last detail.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: Stannis Baratheon on May 10, 2012, 04:21:12 PM

Spoiler
The C-Sec scene
[close]

Yeah it must have been a 15 in 2003, because I had just turned 14, and managed to get in to a screening of it - back then I absolutely could not get in for 18's and I distinctly remember not even being ID'd.

Wonder why the Director's Cut was a 15, but the Theatrical Cut has remained an 18.
Just too much effort to appeal to lower it's classification, considering almost all alien dvd/blu ray sales are part of an 18 rated box set already.

Quote from: ucdom on May 10, 2012, 04:36:10 PM
Note also the running time, 123 minutes 36 seconds.

2 hr 3 m 36 for those who thought 119 minutes was 1 hr 19 a while back...
I suspect that extra 4 and 1/2 minutes are just the credits, 119 was without them.

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

Shame, I was hoping the extra 4 minutes would be bloopers

:laugh:

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Stannis Baratheon on May 10, 2012, 04:21:12 PM

Spoiler
The C-Sec scene
[close]

I've also wondered about this too, the original cut did feature the cocoon scene, but Ridley decided to remove it at the last minute.  When Alien came out all those years ago no one had seen anything like it before, people were truly shocked by that chest burster scene, that's why the film was an 18 when it came out.  People are much more tolerable these days, plus theres been so many Alien rip offs we just dont easily get scared any more. I'm happy with a 15 rating here i the UK anyway.

r888

r888

Winkie Bear

Winkie Bear

The removal of the coccoon scene from Alien was all about pace and nothing to do with a rating. That scene, which appears in the special edition (and is not that good anyway) really slows down the movie at a point when it's builiding to a climax.

You can see the film's editor, Terry Rawlings, and Ridley, talking about it in various 'making-of' features.

Zenzucht

Zenzucht

Quote from: ucdom on May 11, 2012, 08:15:45 AM
The removal of the coccoon scene from Alien was all about pace and nothing to do with a rating. That scene, which appears in the special edition (and is not that good anyway) really slows down the movie at a point when it's builiding to a climax.

You can see the film's editor, Terry Rawlings, and Ridley, talking about it in various 'making-of' features.

On the other hand, I would love to see those dipping birds countdown shot edited into the end of the actual countdown sequence.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed