Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting?

Started by Frosty Venom, Sep 30, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Which trio of films is better?

Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien
44 (52.4%)
Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection
40 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author
Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting? (Read 20,284 times)

SiL

SiL

If that's not the shittiest thing in the film, what in the heck is ???

426Buddy

Still better than AvPR.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on May 20, 2020, 11:26:42 AMIf that's not the shittiest thing in the film, what in the heck is ???

The final scene.

Closely followed by the general subplot about Predators invading the planet because global warming.

Compared to those, I can live with the idea some Predators might be trying to hybridise specific traits from other species, especially if its implied the perpetrators are in the minority (which, again, the original cut seemed to do a better job of).

SiL

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 20, 2020, 11:44:35 AM
The final scene.
Fair

QuoteClosely followed by the general subplot about Predators invading the planet because global warming.
Also Black.

QuoteCompared to those, I can live with the idea some Predators might be trying to hybridise specific traits from other species, especially if its implied the perpetrators are in the minority (which, again, the original cut seemed to do a better job of).
Right, but the issue isn't something as broad as "hybridising specific traits". It's very specifically harvesting autism from a child to turn yourself into a better hunter. That is the concept that Black, himself, put into the film. That was not the studio.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on May 20, 2020, 11:26:42 AM

"cough" PredKiller suit "cough"

RidleyScott99

I vote Prometheus, Alien: Covenant and Alien. I prefer PURE Sci-Fi over Action. That's the reason I prefer Ridley Scott(His Epics and pure Sci-Fi) over jim cameron(action movies) any time, any day.

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on May 20, 2020, 03:10:41 PM
Quote from: SiL on May 20, 2020, 11:26:42 AM

"cough" PredKiller suit "cough"
Conceptually I'll take a mech suit over weaponised autism.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just to make it more offensive, I'm surprised that Shane Black didn't write Olivia Munn as a heroic anti-vaxxer.

SiL

The climax of the film would be her trading the boy for some vaccines, saying "These will do the same thing."

Local Trouble

YouHaveMySympahties

As I'm a big horror movie buff, Alien is almost certainly my favourite movie of either grouping. Having said that, I don't think I'd be prepared to sit through the tedium of Prometheus and Covenant for it. I can't abide Scott's pseudo-intellectual takes on intelligent design. And David just annoys me to no end.

On the other hand, in addition to being a fun and rousing crowd-pleaser, Aliens is just as good and well crafted a movie as the original, and while I can see that Alien 3 has its flaws, I still think it's great and underrated tragedy movie that doesn't get near enough respect. And of course, Alien Resurrection is just dumb popcorn fun.

So the second grouping undoubtedly gets my vote.

Kradan

bb-15

I read all the posts in the thread. Interesting.

For me the choice is easy. Option one
Unlike some people here, I enjoy all six Alien franchise movies enough that I would be fine with watching any of them again.
Also, the poll has the movies in timeline chronological order. It would be natural for me to watch the prequels and then "Alien".
And after that, I would watch the next trilogy.

Observations about the thread; some people consider "Alien 3" an excellent movie far above the prequels. I don't. I prefer "Prometheus" more than A3.
I saw A3 in a theater at release and was disappointed. The assembly cut doesn't fix the main weaknesses I have. And Fincher isn't coming back to do a director's cut. I don't want to get into more details because there is a separate thread about A3.

There is a large time gap between "Covenant" and "Alien" but there is also a significant time gap between A3 and "Alien Resurrection". Not a problem imo.

Also, someone pointed out that the six films have genetic manipulation at the beginning and at the end. True. Some of the things that the Engineers were doing in Pro were being done by human scientists in AR which creates a bit of unity in the entire story. The Dr. Frankenstein/ scientists playing God trope which goes back to the beginning of science-fiction.

;)

SM

The genetic manipulation in Resurrection wasn't intentional.

Local Trouble

An unexpected benefit from the genetic crossing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed