ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 147,991 times)

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 09, 2016, 10:26:39 PM
We will only be able to judge significance once the other issues come out.  If Mandy's character reappears and her inclusion is a logical intrinsic part of the story then it will be ok.

I predict that she'll come, and she'll give, without takin'.

I'll show myself out...  ;D

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on May 09, 2016, 09:20:47 PMSpeaking of Isolation, anyone ever read Alien the illustrated story? I'm guessing the folks who created Isolation didn't as the warning signal was switched off by Dallas in that interpretation. Or maybe they purposely ignored it?
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 09, 2016, 09:49:43 PMIf I'm not mistaken, the signal was switched off also in Alan Dean Foster's novelization by Dallas.  I would have preferred to leave things that way ideally.  But it's no biggie.

As SM says, the beacon's fate was never addressed in the films (beyond the fact it obviously got switched off at some point, because no one's hearing it in Aliens), so the game had free reign to decide how exactly that happened.

It doesn't matter if it happened in a comic, because in the film Dallas obviously never goes near it.

SM

SM

If you look at Terry Rawlings script, there are slates to cover the sequence where Dallas turns it off.  But until Isolation, it was assumed the volcanic damage to the Derelict has turned it off.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 10, 2016, 09:52:52 PM
If you look at Terry Rawlings script, there are slates to cover the sequence where Dallas turns it off.  But until Isolation, it was assumed the volcanic damage to the Derelict has turned it off.
Which was James Cameron's explanation which also never made it to film, right? :-)

SM

SM

Hence the reason CA could do what they wanted.

Engineer

Engineer

So which scenario holds more weight as being 'canon'? :-O

PS. No matter what, Cameron's volcanism still holds true... It's just a question of which cause is responsible for shutting down the beacon...

SM

SM

Marlow turned it off.

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 11, 2016, 12:02:37 AM
Marlow turned it off.
That's my preferred 'canon' at this point :-)

Corporal Hicks

That's actual canon at this point too.

426Buddy

So is "Out of the Shadows" considered canon at this point as well?

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the audio drama and I'm just not feeling the love. I think the drama is very well done but i'm not really caring for the story much at all.

SM

SM

Yes.

426Buddy

Too bad I guess.

Engineer

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 11, 2016, 11:25:21 PM
Too bad I guess.
Well, that depends on your perspective. I for one, enjoyed the story a lot, and don't mind it being held as canon.

426Buddy

Well yeah its just my opinion. I just think the way they included Ripley and Ash is so forced and feels absurd and lame.

Other than that the story has been okay, the description of humanoid aliens with dog heads feels pretty goofy too.

But hey to each their own, I'll try and wait until I've finished it to pass final judgement.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: 420Buddy on May 11, 2016, 11:44:55 PM
Well yeah its just my opinion. I just think the way they included Ripley and Ash is so forced and feels absurd and lame.

Other than that the story has been okay, the description of humanoid aliens with dog heads feels pretty goofy too.

But hey to each their own, I'll try and wait until I've finished it to pass final judgement.

I wouldn't really say humanoid, they got four legs and two arms and are really super tall.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed