Why do people hate Alien3?

Started by Basher917, Oct 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

Author
Why do people hate Alien3? (Read 237,625 times)

samoht

samoht

Because it sucked compared to ALIENS.

It also killed off our favourite characters. At the end of ALIENS we all feel glad knowing that Ripley, Newt and Hicks are ok. Then all of a sudden in A3, BAM! Hicks and Newt die. Now that made me start disliking the movie before it had barely gotten started.

The quality of the movie was not up to scratch with ALIENS and it had nowhere near the same amount of horror value in regards to the alien.

I must say though, any sequel to ALIENS was going to be hard to make.

SiL

SiL

People dislike it because it's just not that good a movie. It's flawed to hell.

People hate it because they can't get Cameron's dick out of their mouth.

Yeah, I went there.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Well 'Aliens' was a legitimately good movie and all, there's a reason why it's an enduring classic. :P

SiL

SiL

Sure. But the hatred A³ gets because people get stuck on it is retarded.

There's plenty in the movie to dislike on its own merits.

Terx2

Terx2

I didn't care about the prisoners. I did like the idea of fighting the perfect organism without any guns. But it just lacked the emotion of the previous films.

Stalker

Stalker

Alien 3 isn't a bad movie, it just doesn't hold up to the first two.

The cast consisted of a bunch of generic bald English guys with no real defining characteristics, the creature effects were pathetic & the whole story, aside from giving (unnecessary) closure to Ripley's saga, was completely pointless.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Stalker on Oct 31, 2011, 07:44:15 AM
... (unnecessary) closure to Ripley's saga...

Yet, I surmise, was it filmed like a standalone film (not connected to Alien series, named another way and having different actress playing some female surviver), it could be more surprising in a good way and less predictable.

SM

SM

That's not the way it panned out though.

Stalker

Stalker

Quote from: aliennaire on Oct 31, 2011, 07:55:38 AM
Quote from: Stalker on Oct 31, 2011, 07:44:15 AM
... closure to Ripley's saga, was completely pointless.

Yet, I surmise, was it filmed like a standalone film (not connected to Alien series, named another way and having different actress playing some female surviver), it could be more surprising in a good way and less predictable.

Then it wouldn't even be Alien, & we wouldn't be talking about it in the first place.

Alien³

Alien³

People tend to hate the theatrical cut because of how choppy it's cut, whereas the assembly cut (especially the blu-ray version) has been considered a worthy sequel too the first two.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 31, 2011, 04:39:31 AM
People hate it because they can't get Cameron's dick out of their mouth.

Yeah, I went there.

I agree.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Stalker on Oct 31, 2011, 07:59:36 AM

Then it wouldn't even be Alien, & we wouldn't be talking about it in the first place.

...And that's what I meant!
:-)
(However, I seem to go off topic here with a such statement *sighs, leaves this thread*)

PS. Also as I said, I don't hate Alien^3.
Particularily, I just can't tether it to the two previous movies. My main issue isn't death of the Aliens survivers (including Ripley), nor similarity of the prisoners or whatever else - it's Ripley herself, who doesn't look now the strong, resolute, resourceful heroine, which I admired before. And that is my personal take on it. :-)

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: aliennaire on Oct 31, 2011, 08:44:10 AM
it's Ripley herself, who doesn't look now the strong, resolute, resourceful heroine, which I admired before. And that is my personal take on it. :-)

The fact that she doesn't kill herself right after she's discovered everyone is dead shows how strong she is. Ripley, despite all the hellish things she goes through in alien 3 manages to hold on to some hope that all can be saved. And she was right until 200 years later.

StayFrosty

StayFrosty

I DISLIKE Alien3 (not hate) pretty much because of the reasons people have already stated.

I did like the movie as a kid, but now it just doesn't hold up. I'm finding it incredibly boring and irrelevant. It really doesn't add anything to the Alien biology itself.... while ALIEN and ALIENS did. People wanted to see more of the Xenomorph in this movie like they did in ALIENS, but they didn't get that. Instead Alien3 tries too hard to be a character-study with the Alien just as a sub-plot or something. With that in mind, I do think Alien3 is a good, stand-alone movie, but not as an Alien movie.

I kind of think Resurrection AND AVP as Alien flicks are better than Alien3. I would perhaps even LIKE Resurrection if it wasn't for the fact it depends on Alien3 as a prior history.

The plot-holes in Alien3 like how the egg got on board are just too many. I could even mention how strange it is that Ripley KNOWS she has a Queen inside of her. Some of the movies, especially Alien3 seem to give Ripley way too much credit for what she knows about the Alien.... she knows things that some people in her position would simply just not know.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteIt really doesn't add anything to the Alien biology itself.... while ALIEN and ALIENS did.
Well, other than doing interesting things with the "traits from the host" idea, that is. :P

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Always loved the movie and it got me into the franchise back in 93. Loved and still love the eerie vibe and feel. Its very unlike the first and the second and follows a different plot structure, yet it shares whats most important with the first 2 - treating the subject as serious as a heart attack, and like in the second one, the monster is just a background for a human character drama and centers around Ripleys personal emotional journey

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed