Deadliest Alien!

Started by galaxys ultimate hunter, Aug 30, 2010, 01:29:01 AM

Which is most dangerous?

Aliens of the Alien Movies (Alien,Aliens,Alien 3)
76 (84.4%)
The aliens from Alien Resurrection
10 (11.1%)
The aliens in AVP and AVPR
16 (17.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Voting closed: Nov 28, 2010, 01:29:01 AM

Author
Deadliest Alien! (Read 54,535 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 31, 2010, 01:03:08 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2010, 12:55:23 AM
They figure out the cold switch button - they saw Gediman use it.

One of my problems with the movie. How could they "see" it? They dont have eyes, the glass for them is like a wall, something the writers forgot about.

Same way they see everything else.  As evidence prominently in Alien3.

BANE

BANE

QuoteIt has no eyes and Scott alluded to it that it 'senses' with its head. So visuals go out the window
Well, I put "see" in brackets so that it could be interpreted in different way...i.e I wasn't constraining it to the purely "visual", but perhaps sensing other things.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 31, 2010, 01:10:43 AM
The problem is there are no doors or openings, theres no way they can sense exactly whats going on through the wall

Not all senses are blocked by physical mass. You can hear sounds through objects, for instance.

predxeno

predxeno

Much of the EU material references that they can "see" somehow.  EU also says aliens are psychically tuned.  Maybe it sensed Gediman's neural presence.

SM

SM

Or instead of overcomplicating things - they have a visual sense.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

That's decidedly uncreepy, though.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: MadassAlex on Aug 31, 2010, 01:18:55 AM
That's decidedly uncreepy, though.
Why does it need to be any creepier than it already is? The thing's a frican collection of sexual imagery and allusions, it seeing visually in no way detracts from its creepiness.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I'm working in the other direction.

In the beginning, we didn't know what it sensed or what it sensed. That was a part of the terror factor; having no idea what it was picking up on or how clearly it was picking those things up. So having it see like we do is anticlimactic.

SM

SM

Blame Fincher if you like.

But remember that Aliens have acted like they have sensing organs (visual or otherwise) on the front of their bonce before that.

predxeno

predxeno

Alien is a horror franchise so, yes, it should be creepy.  But it's also a science fiction franchise as well.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2010, 01:26:22 AM
Blame Fincher if you like.

But remember that Aliens have acted like they have sensing organs (visual or otherwise) on the front of their bonce before that.

Arguably has more to do with their bodies than their senses. They're not omnidirectional organisms.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: MadassAlex on Aug 31, 2010, 01:22:29 AM
I'm working in the other direction.

In the beginning, we didn't know what it sensed or what it sensed. That was a part of the terror factor; having no idea what it was picking up on or how clearly it was picking those things up. So having it see like we do is anticlimactic.
That is very true...not knowing if you can hide or avoid it in any way shape or form does add to the fear in the film. However, seeing visually like animals on earth, with the capability to see both in the dark and in light, is quite a possibility...we never see them actually looking through a solid wall or whatnot, so that really isn't invalidated by anything shown in the films. I would also think that given how it is so easily able to locate people that it has a combination of senses like creatures on earth so fine tuned that it can pick up almost anything...movement, noise, scent, pheromones, etc...would make it even deadlier.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I like the idea that it has at least a couple of senses that we would find incomprehensible. Hand-waves anything and is creepy.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: MadassAlex on Aug 31, 2010, 01:31:53 AM
I like the idea that it has at least a couple of senses that we would find incomprehensible. Hand-waves anything and is creepy.
Ah, to each his own.

SM

SM

As far as the films show us they can at least see in the visible light spectrum, and very likely can see outside of it since they dig the dark (and possibly know humans don't).

And based on Ripley8 they have heightened something.  My guess is hearing from her being able to remotely sense if corridors are clear, the moving Auriga and Wren and co coming for Call.

The RPG had a great idea that they can communicate by changing colours on this heads outside the visible spectrum enabling them to communicate in a vaccuum.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed