Alien 3 - Love it or Hate It

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 04:40:34 PM

Author
Alien 3 - Love it or Hate It (Read 62,732 times)

Newsfop

Newsfop

I think it's interesting that every time I watch Alien3 I take something else from it that I never saw or heard before. It's a very layered film. In fact it was probably on the 20th or so viewing that I was actually paying attention to the doctor when he was talking over all the noise in the beginning.

G.C. Samaras

G.C. Samaras

I initially disliked Alien 3 because the first time I saw it (when I was 4 years-old) I didn't understand much and it terrified me. Now, I think that Alien 3 is the strongest film in the franchise as it is both entertaining, philosophical, and came out as an amazing piece of work despite production troubles. Definitely love it.

Darkness

Darkness

I never really liked A3 much the last few years but since the Special Edition, I do appreciate it a lot more. Although I'm not one of these people who adores the special edition. It definitely makes the film better but the theatrical and special edition are pretty much the same for me.

I don't think it's a good sequel to Aliens and I still don't like the fact they killed off Hicks and Newt straight away especially as Biehn actually would have done A3 if he'd have been offered it.

Corporal Hicks

Go read the other A3 scripts, you'll love the theatrical edition.  :P I'm not too fond of the killing of Hicks - I'd have thought that'd be obvious - but in the end it's a good movie. Maybe if it had have come before Aliens or something. I just loved the atmosphere, the sets and the music. Fincher did such a good job directing it.

frost

frost

This movie has reached a new status since the special edition came out,good story great movie,just not as good as aliens ;)

Newsfop

Newsfop

It's also the only one to actually follow the rules of No Sound in Space.

maledoro

maledoro

DRACO ^V^

DRACO ^V^

:-\ NOt sure even to this day if I like it or not.
But I do know that alien3 should have been the film to develop a story about the aliens origins,and not story about "Alien Gets loose in the monastary at alcatraz." ::)

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DRACO ^V^ on Dec 19, 2006, 09:28:06 PM
:-\ NOt sure even to this day if I like it or not.
But I do know that alien3 should have been the film to develop a story about the aliens origins,and not story about "Alien Gets loose in the monastary at alcatraz." ::)
Why should there be a story about the aliens' origins? The derelict ship was just a plot element to give reason for the Nostromo to land there. If someone wants to know the backstory of the aliens I already posted it on this forum.

Darkness

Darkness

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 19, 2006, 09:44:12 PMWhy should there be a story about the aliens' origins?

What do you think a future Alien 5 movie is going to be about if it ever gets made?

Are you saying you wouldn't want this explored at all?

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Darkness on Dec 19, 2006, 10:16:42 PM
What do you think a future Alien 5 movie is going to be about if it ever gets made?
Who knows? It may be that horrid "Battle of the Planets" scenario where the Jockeys decide to seed the Earth with alien eggs (so much for the Alien production crew claiming that the Jockey looked benign) in Alien 5 and Ripley 8 and friends wipe out the aliens and go to the Jockey planet and wipe out the Jockeys in Alien 6. Or, it can be a continuation of some story that takes place after Alien Resurrection that may or may not include Ripley 8.

Quote from: Darkness on Dec 19, 2006, 10:16:42 PM
Are you saying you wouldn't want this explored at all?
No, I don't want this to be explored. Once a mystery is investigated, it becomes a boring topic. Plus, all of the other pitfalls I had mentioned before.

Not to mention that there's already a backstory and that's fine with me...

Corporal Hicks

An offscreen backstory than not everyone knows.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2006, 09:07:31 AM
An offscreen backstory than not everyone knows.
Which is a shame. Back in the day, people weren't as lazy and didn't wait to be spoonfed info. They'd actually pick up books and try to learn as much about a subject as they can. Nowadays, they'd hear something half-assed (Scott would just throw random guesses out there; he never had a backstory to the Jockeys) and say, "Sonuvabitch! That's got to be it!", and run with it without realizing that there is something older than that, something that the first generation of fans knew about since 1979 when we had started to collect info on the series. Something that had been plotted out by the creator of the series.

DRACO ^V^

DRACO ^V^

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 19, 2006, 09:44:12 PM

QuoteIf someone wants to know the backstory of the aliens I already posted it on this forum.
I dont know, :-\ maybe I am different sort of sci-fi fan,I tend to crave visuals ie..creepy environments,Spacecraft,monsters,Visual moods.ect..ect.. these things seem to simulate my imagination just as much and if not more than words written.And even though that I know that visuals are only a fraction of a story,I just have to say that a picture is worth a thousand words :P
What I am getting at is this,We already know the basic outline of alien--(facehugger+host=alien)..All the storys are based around this,but still we dont get "BORED".because It is the plot of the story that keeps us going.
To see an alien film that goes into uncharted territory,like one with the jockeys,and how they are involved in all of this,would be fantastic to the sci-fi fan like me. ;D
Trust me,I would not be one bit disturbed,or get bored of future alien films because of it.Take for instance..Alien res,I hated this movie,but It didnt stop me from wanting to watch another one.And then unfortunately AVP was released, ::),BUt I am still drooling for more  :-* l
I dont think that A film about the origins of the alien with the subplot about the jockeys involvement would take the mystery out of the franchise.But it would be a great Bookcloser to a series that might not see another episode in the future. ;)
STAR WARS EPISODE VII anyone? ;D

maledoro

maledoro

Such a story would take away from the mystery because we would "know" about them! In addition to it being a remake of Alien with a different species, remember the limitations that I had mentioned before.

The movie would be nothing more than a needless "gee-whiz" spectacle of a popcorn movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed