Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 24, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Author
Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro (Read 37,576 times)

SiL

While all those things could be her mocking Ripley, Vasquez has been often considered gay or at least queer. Goldstein has commented on it in the past.

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 04:43:49 AM
While all those things could be her mocking Ripley, Vasquez has been often considered gay or at least queer. Goldstein has commented on it in the past.
Yes, but it was also never confirmed; her and drake were nicknamed "sweethearts" while in basic to keep her sexuality ambiguous. Goldstein speaks of this.

Gentleman Death

I never thought twice if she wash gay...or straight...or anything honestly. Why do we have to put these characters into any kind of box. Basically, as much as I like her character, there's no need for a backstory, there just isn't.

If anything, create a whole new character and throw whatever you want them to be in it.

(I'll still get the book though)

Kradan

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Mar 26, 2022, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.

...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:

When?!

Who is Snow White ?

Engineer

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 26, 2022, 06:07:06 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:40:36 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Mar 26, 2022, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.

...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:

When?!

Who is Snow White ?

I always took that as mockery 🤷‍♂️

SiL

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:58:32 AM
Yes, but it was also never confirmed; her and drake were nicknamed "sweethearts" while in basic to keep her sexuality ambiguous. Goldstein speaks of this.
Still feels like a swing and a miss if you're trying to be progressive and straight wash what is something of a gay icon.

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 07:31:55 AM
Still feels like a swing and a miss if you're trying to be progressive and straight wash what is something of a gay icon.

I'm not in disagreement, really. Just merely pointing out that there's room for interpretation on that front, but there's plenty of other issues that still makes it a bad idea.

SiL

Oh yeah, it's the least of my concerns. But I understand and agree that it's a Cherry on the bad idea cake.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 25, 2022, 08:49:19 AM
Quote from: CaptainViggo on Mar 24, 2022, 05:19:19 PM
Yet another female character revealed to be a mother out of nowhere.

Yeah this also makes it feel kinda icky.
Now I know why I feel this way, although I didn't realize why exactly, until Skhellter said so.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 25, 2022, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 25, 2022, 06:53:32 PM
https://twitter.com/vlatinalondon/status/1507123747370774533

Y'know, that's f**king fair enough.
But even with that I do not think it is my place to say "you can't do this" as overall I do get the logic behind the idea, even if I think the execution's more than questionable both in terms of making Vasquez retroactively a mother, and with the combination of focusing on another daughter to go fight Aliens just feels like the most boneheaded trite way of doing this.

VN1X

VN1X

Man, everything I've read about this so far screams "avoid". The mere fact that the author went out of their way to tweet about identity politics is a big no-no. There's a time and place for that sort of thing but the last thing I care about in an Alien novel (or sci-fi books in general) is someone's skin colour or their sexual preferences.

At the end of the day we all die the same when we run into an acid bleeding monstrosity so... yeah. I'll gladly be proven wrong though in that it might end up as an amazing "must-read" Alien novel but so far I'm not really jumping up and down with excitement.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

She could easily just be bi. My high school's populace was majority Mexican and there were quite a few girls who got pregnant and then never dated a guy again.

I'm actually mixed (Mexican on my Mom's side and Irish on my Dad's side) so I'm just glad a Latina author is writing this story as representation absolutely matters.

Also shouts to Titan for continuing to step up the cover art!

Engineer

Yep I agree, she very well could be bi...
She could also be a lesbian who chose to have children. Lesbian and gay couples start families of their own too.
The book isn't out yet, and we have no idea how the author has portrayed her sexuality. But ultimately, Vasquez's sexuality isn't I thing I see any issues with, personally. I just don't think the scenario described in the synopsis, that Vasquez had children, jives with what we know about her as a character and her personality. 

I am happy to see the author chosen is a hispanic female. That sort of representation does matter. I really just wish it was an all new character rather than someone related to a pre-existing character. There's been way too much of that already. It's stale, boring, and outlandish imo. I like to joke that if "alien" was supposed to be "jaws in space" then "alien: sea of sorrows" is "jaws: the revenge in space." Isolation was great, but pretty much everything related to Amanda ripley since then has been subpar. Other stories featuring Vasquez's family have already been done too. How many times are we going to see this family-relation angle pop up?

irn

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 12:02:46 AM
https://twitter.com/vlatinalondon/status/1507123747370774533

QuoteIm reclaiming the canon and character
When was the canon and character ever hers to now be "reclaimed"?

They're going down the Disney Star Wars route here of shrinking the universe and basically admitting creative bankruptcy by taking original characters that are already widely loved and making these related offspring/copies of them to basically rehash the same story over again.

If someone was really interested in doing a Vasquez backstory you could write a really good one set on Earth about her younger years and joining the Marines with no hint of the alien at all.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 02:54:59 PM
Yep I agree, she very well could be bi...
She could also be a lesbian who chose to have children. Lesbian and gay couples start families of their own too.
The book isn't out yet, and we have no idea how the author has portrayed her sexuality. But ultimately, Vasquez's sexuality isn't I thing I see any issues with, personally. I just don't think the scenario described in the synopsis, that Vasquez had children, jives with what we know about her as a character and her personality. 

I am happy to see the author chosen is a hispanic female. That sort of representation does matter. I really just wish it was an all new character rather than someone related to a pre-existing character. There's been way too much of that already. It's stale, boring, and outlandish imo. I like to joke that if "alien" was supposed to be "jaws in space" then "alien: sea of sorrows" is "jaws: the revenge in space." Isolation was great, but pretty much everything related to Amanda ripley since then has been subpar. Other stories featuring Vasquez's family have already been done too. How many times are we going to see this family-relation angle pop up?

Completely fair and valid points. All I can say is that sometimes I think that we put too much pressure on our fictional universes to be realistic. Obviously we all have different thresholds for suspending our disbelief and that ultimately factors into how much one will enjoy these types of stories. My recommendation (that I do with all new content): Hope for the best but expect the worse.

BishopWantsIt

I do not care if Vasquez is into men, women or animals... but the idea of her being a mummy is ridiculous, to say the least.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed