Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 24, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Author
Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro (Read 37,565 times)

Kradan

I'm not saying Creative Assembly didn't do the best they could with Amanda, I just think game could've worked just as easily without her

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 24, 2022, 04:28:49 PM
Please no more "family members of established characters stumble upon Aliens" stories, I beg you.

Nukiemorph

It makes perfect sense that Amanda's search for her mother could lead her to aliens. Including Amanda never bothered me.

Maybe this book will fudge a similar reason for Vazquez's kids to run into aliens, but it doesn't sound like it from the synopsis.

I'm definitely looking forward to Inferno's Fall more than any other upcoming books.

Engineer

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Mar 25, 2022, 09:44:56 PM
It makes perfect sense that Amanda's search for her mother could lead her to aliens. Including Amanda never bothered me.

Maybe this book will fudge a similar reason for Vazquez's kids to run into aliens, but it doesn't sound like it from the synopsis.

I'm definitely looking forward to Inferno's Fall more than any other upcoming books.

The back-story given to Vasquez, as jenette Goldstein describes it in older interviews, does not jive well with what the author is trying to do here imo. Vasquez was a great character, But her history is not all that heroic. She was in gangs and committed murder as a juvenile (hence the teardrop tattoo). She had a life sentence in prison and joined the marines as an alternative to prison, but she was still a lifer serving in the marines. She always took point in her squad because she didn't care if she died. None of this sounds like a woman who had children and/or is anxious to get back to her family. All that aside, even if she did have children, going to prison at such a young age doesn't exactly allow for her to develop a meaningful relationship with her children so that they'd go searching for what happened to her when they grow up.

I hate to be a downer, but this is probably the least interesting novel Titan has come up with so far, and I really don't see how this is going to work in a way the feels as natural as isolation did...

skhellter

skhellter

Easy pass.

Things like this just make the galaxy seem so small:

"our new lead characters are RELATED to those classic characters you LOVE! and EVERYONE MEETS THE ALIEN!"

...and.... are you really telling me that Vasquez was ever attracted to men?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Claiming Vasquez for "the straights" just feels like the exact opposite of how "representation" ought to work but.... whatever.

(Alien Isolation is good DESPITE Amanda being related to Ripley btw)

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 25, 2022, 10:16:37 PM
The back-story given to Vasquez, as jenette Goldstein describes it in older interviews, does not jive well with what the author is trying to do here imo. Vasquez was a great character, But her history is not all that heroic. She was in gangs and committed murder as a juvenile (hence the teardrop tattoo). She had a life sentence in prison and joined the marines as an alternative to prison, but she was still a lifer serving in the marines. She always took point in her squad because she didn't care if she died. None of this sounds like a woman who had children and/or is anxious to get back to her family. All that aside, even if she did have children, going to prison at such a young age doesn't exactly allow for her to develop a meaningful relationship with her children so that they'd go searching for what happened to her when they grow up.

I hate to be a downer, but this is probably the least interesting novel Titan has come up with so far, and I really don't see how this is going to work in a way the feels as natural as isolation did...

exactly. There's no art here. It's just top to bottom fanfic tier stuff.

Kradan

Quote from: skhellter on Mar 25, 2022, 10:38:34 PM
(Alien Isolation is good DESPITE Amanda being related to Ripley btw)

Thank you

Engineer

I think it's below fanfic level...
It's a story connected to a beloved character, but at that character's expense rather than that character's benefit.
It's a cash grab.

skhellter

skhellter

"Im reclaiming the canon and character."

by making the gay character straight and doing mommy fanfic with her. :laugh:

"this is important"

it's actually gross but sure, ok.

Engineer

It was never confirmed that Vasquez was gay. That's not something I see an issue with. I just don't see how she could have had children and developed a meaningful relation relationship with them.

skhellter

skhellter

"bonita, hey?"

she's making remarks on how Ripley is pretty and she's full on eyeing Ripley up and down at the start. c'mon.

At the very least she's bi, but making the active choice to go with [oh she had kids] kind of shows how this book is going to go with any queerness.

Engineer

Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction. Could just as easily have been sizing up how tough she was, which is more in line with her character tbh. Her sexuality was purposely left ambiguous.

skhellter

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.

...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 25, 2022, 05:40:10 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 25, 2022, 05:03:22 AM
If the book manages to sneak in that Vasquez had a younger sister I will be over the moon.

Didn't you read the article on EW?
I read the synopsis that mentions Vasquez has a sister that raised her kids, yeah.

Engineer

Quote from: skhellter on Mar 26, 2022, 04:32:51 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:31:59 AM
Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction.

...while remarking on how pretty Ripley is. lol

jesus. :laugh:

When?!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed