AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 47,861 times)

Samus007

Samus007

Your preview and interviews were excellent and answered so many questions I had. Thanks a ton you guys! Glad you had a good time at Creative Assembly.

SiL

SiL

Golly some of those answers took a long time to say nothing.

"Where does this fit with the canon?"
"We started with Alien and tried to keep to it."

Yeah, okay, but does it fit?

And the repeated use of "We're not talking about the wider game today" sounds a bit ... I don't get it, why wouldn't they take the opportunity to let the fanbase know about the whole game? We're clearly interested in more than "You in a room with a motion tracker and the Alien", why is that the only thing they were willing to talk about?

Darkness

Darkness

Yeah, I was curious as to why they didn't answer those questions. I suppose they are potential surprises.

SM

SM

Guess that's all they got at the moment to go on.  How much do you want given away?

As for the canon thing - seemed like they answered it okay to me.  We know where (or rather when) it fits, but they're not going down the same road as GBX with all the canon pimpage.  Sounds like a good idea.

SiL

SiL

I understand dodging the egg-morph question, but I wouldn't think saying whether there'll be DLC or a multiplayer further down the line is giving much away about the game.

SM

SM

Oh, them questions.  Dunno.  Maybe it's too early to commit to DLC.  I thought I'd read that there was no multiplayer already though...?

SiL

SiL

There isn't any multiplayer (Although one of the questions I'd wanted asked is if they'd at least considered it). And it's never too early to commit to DLC these days. Thinking about it, though, it's probably best not to announce plans for any of it before your game is released, like what happened with some next-gen platform releases recently.

People tend to think you're a stingy, money-grabbing bastard if you're announcing extra content months before the game's released which could just be put into the game to start with, so, y'know, good call, CA.

ikarop

ikarop

Quote from: SiL on Feb 10, 2014, 10:10:28 PM
There isn't any multiplayer (Although one of the questions I'd wanted asked is if they'd at least considered it). And it's never too early to commit to DLC these days. Thinking about it, though, it's probably best not to announce plans for any of it before your game is released, like what happened with some next-gen platform releases recently.

Quote from: RockpapershotgunAre there any plans to have any kind of multiplayer at all?

Hope: No.  It's very much about a single player experience. We did think about it, it's not like we never considered it – and we had some pretty neat ideas around that. But for us the focus always was that single player experience.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: ikarop on Feb 10, 2014, 10:17:25 PM
Quote from: RockpapershotgunAre there any plans to have any kind of multiplayer at all?

Hope: No.  It's very much about a single player experience. We did think about it, it's not like we never considered it – and we had some pretty neat ideas around that. But for us the focus always was that single player experience.
Oh cool, thanks!

Kimo

Kimo

Great Q/A and interview AVPG. :-)
Sounds like this game is going on the right track. However the leg issue still bothers me, i would rather have a man in a suit alien, as long as it was a carbon copy of Giger Beast... But im willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on why they change its legs cos the game looks cool and the Alien looks neat from the previews that have been released to the public.

As for DLC (if we do get it) i would like to play Newt surviving Hadleys Hope before the Colonial Marines arrived on Lv426. Can you imagine playing as newt and seeing the alien world through a child's eyes, With the same in game mechanics that alien isolation has?

Good work AVPG for interview.

Layorz

Layorz

I hope people are satisfied with the answer about the legs. I don't blame them for wanting to change the perspective from the Alien being a 'man in a suit'. Alien was a scarier movie when I was younger because so much was left up to the imagination. Having watched the film and scrutinized how it was made, seeing the alien suit, all of that really takes away from the movie today. I can't help but see a man in a suit when I watch it. I said in another thread a few weeks ago that I was always under the impression Ridley Scott wanted 'his' monster to look as far from a man in a suit as possible.

SiL

SiL

It's a video game character, why would people be thinking "Man in a suit"? It obviously isn't a man in a suit because it's a video game. Looking like one isn't relevant any more.

SM

SM

I don't know.

I've probably already mentioned it elsewhere, but seeing a completely accurate Giger Alien walking down the hallway conjurs up images of the test footage of Bolaji in the mockup suit.  And while I really dig the crabwalk scene, a lot of people hate it.

Riddles left his full body shot for the second last minute of the flick, and it did end up disappointing many that it looked like a guy in a suit.

When you can't control the cutting and lighting in a video game and the Alien is walking down a fully light corridor - I can see how it could look pretty dopey (mind you, the Alien simply casually strolling towards you, rather than pouncing - because unarmed, you're rooted anyway - could be freaky as f**k).

Of course, that's not to say Mr Dog Leg Alien won't look just as dopey, but their rationale makes sense.

SiL

SiL

"Man, the original AVP for PC was scary as f**k, but damn those legs just took me right out. So obviously a guy in a suit"

said no-one ever.

People have never complained about the legs when they weren't double jointed, why would they have started now? "Guy in a suit" only applies when watching a movie and having the effect ruined for you. This is not a movie. There is no suit. The humanoid form isn't going to break suspension of disbelief.

SM

SM

If you say so.

I can't force myself to rage impotently about the legs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed