AvPG Previews Alien Isolation

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 10, 2014, 06:31:40 PM

Author
AvPG Previews Alien Isolation (Read 48,606 times)

SiL

SiL

I'm not raging about anything. Their game, they can do what they want. But their justifications are limp as f**k.

SM

SM

Okay, not rage then - endlessly moan?

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Kimo on Feb 11, 2014, 12:30:09 AM
As for DLC (if we do get it) i would like to play Newt surviving Hadleys Hope before the Colonial Marines arrived on Lv426. Can you imagine playing as newt and seeing the alien world through a child's eyes, With the same in game mechanics that alien isolation has?
YES! I agree 100% about playing as newt! Someone mentioned this in another thread a few weeks ago, and I loved the idea! The alien through newt's eyes would look 15 ft tall! Plus, can you imagine playing as newt, unarmed, trying to dodge multiple aliens WITHOUT a motion tracker! Oh, man that could be a pretty terrifying experience too, and I hope to see something like that from CA/SEGA in the future, whether it be an isolation sequel or a dlc pack...

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

egg morphing would be very interesting to see

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2014, 05:58:31 AM
Okay, not rage then - endlessly moan?
Not moaning either. Nor is it "endless", only when the subject is actually relevant. My sole complaint is every time a new game or movie comes out they'll harp on about how faithful they are, then change something and give a limp excuse.

No-one's asking you to care. You're free to not read these posts on the subject.

SM

SM

Have they harped on about how accurate they are on this game though?

Xhan

Xhan

Yeah, they kinda did, and that's the problem, also nevermind they had a giant f**k off poster of the original suit right there to gaze upon.

and yeah the justification are ridiculous market-handler speak.

They went at length on how much time and money they spent making things picture->pixel  accurate or "true" even down to the concept drawings, which they trumpeted about doing in "Cobb" style, when a Hong Kong Asset and Placeable contract team could've done a photorealistic depiction without using "Cobb" style (whatever the hell that is) for half the price and in half the time.

(You think I'm exaggerating and I'm not, this literally happened with A:CM assets)

It's far more true to form to say "we wanted Brock Jaw, Jaws Mouth and Arfy Tyranid Legs because we thought they looked cool than to say "the Alien couldn't navigate correctly" (seriously what? what?) and then spend three paragraphs on the next page page about how much time and manhours they spent making everything else but the Alien super-orgasm-ultra-goddamn-photo-4K-motherf**king-jump-up-and-slap-your-mama-exactly-like-the-film realistic.

Basically shot themselves in the foot on that one, and Locusta pretty much drove the nail in the coffin on any marketing-speak rationalization before they even started the hype machine in public mode.

SM

SM

QuoteYeah, they kinda did, and that's the problem, also nevermind they had a giant f**k off poster of the original suit right there to gaze upon.

When?  I thought that kind of thing was Gearbox's domain.

As for the navigation thing, I don't remember hearing that.  I thought it was simply down to 'We didn't like how it looked with humanlike feet'.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 11, 2014, 07:26:04 AM
When?  I thought that kind of thing was Gearbox's domain.
The first magazine article posted in this board which explained the legs. After talking about why they "had" to change it, they then went on about how they weren't sure about the dome under the cowl, but it was important to keep details like that because it was part of the original suit, so they kept it.

That kind'a bullshit is what irks me.

Alien1

Alien1

Man people will bitch about every little thing in an Aliens game or anything that has to do with Aliens... Why bitch about the "legs" when its the game that you have to worry about?  Personally the jointed legs make it look more creature like and not so much human. "oh this game is gunna suck because the legs are wrong".. whatever.. Im holding my judgement until I play it.  No wonder why people dont take Alien related things seriously anymore..

SiL

SiL

Nobody's said anything like that.

Maybe try reading people's posts before attempting to belittle them.

Predatorium

Predatorium

Every iteration in the franchise has added their own take on the alien. Do you think everyone was happy with what Cameron did to the alien? No. So this is Creative Assembly's take on it, it's not the original movie made into a game it's a new chapter in the saga and to me it all looks really good so far. I just hope that the story and voice acting will be good this time around.

Corporal Hicks

They do shoot themselves a little in the foot with talk of authenticity.

However, aside from the change to the legs - which yes, makes perfect sense. I saw the speed of the Alien and the speed in which they were having it interact with the world and it would look so stupid with the human legs, it truly would. No-one would move with the fluidity of that model - the general feel and look of the game is very Alien from what I experienced.

Space Voyager

Guys, thank you for these superb interview and preview. Loved every word. And don't give a damn about them legs. ;)

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: SiL on Feb 11, 2014, 05:48:27 AM
"Man, the original AVP for PC was scary as f**k, but damn those legs just took me right out. So obviously a guy in a suit"

said no-one ever.

People have never complained about the legs when they weren't double jointed, why would they have started now? "Guy in a suit" only applies when watching a movie and having the effect ruined for you. This is not a movie. There is no suit. The humanoid form isn't going to break suspension of disbelief.

This is the problem i have. Its a creature moving around inside a video game. I am not gunna think that the alien looks like a man in a suit when it moves, because i know they was never a man inside a suit to begin with. I would rather of seen a creature that moves more like Bolaji Badejo in his test footage with humanoid legs, then the design choice they have went with. Every time i see a still of the beast from a distance. it for a brief second reminds me of the Aliens from Alien Resurrection because of them dam legs. Dont get me wrong the rest of the creature looks f**king fantastic and the game environment looks awsome as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed