AvPGalaxy Podcast #18 Online

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 09, 2014, 09:05:51 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Podcast #18 Online (Read 18,419 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I have just uploaded the 18th episode of the AvPGalaxy Podcast. This podcast includes a look back at Predators by Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and DoomRulz. This episode was recorded prior to the announcement of Shane Black’s Predator 4 and is not discussed in this episode. However, we do discuss our ideas for the franchise going forward.

To listen to previous episodes of our podcasts, please be sure to check out the Podcast section of the website.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

I would've liked to have been on this podcast but... No microphone. Ah well..

Russ

Russ

You should be on one where they feature AvP's ;-)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Sep 09, 2014, 09:44:34 AM
You should be on one where they feature AvP's ;-)

This is a pretty interesting podcast and DoomRulz touched up on a lot of problems which I had with the movie. They even discuss the comics which.. were.. weird to say the least of things, and they even bring up the 1994 script. Good God.

I would've had a field day with this had a microphone and known about that. How are members able to join podcasts, again?

Corporal Hicks

Typically you're not. It's usually staff with the occasional guest. Only community members I can think of have been SiL, Shevvie and people working on fan projects (fanfilms, conventions, etc).

Russ

Russ

It really was an entertaining listen, thanks for that, lads.

I'm looking forward to reading the AvP script with the Zero-G combat in it (I had no idea that all these scripts were out there!)... at the moment, I'm reading Eric Red's AL III EN.

I wasn't sure if Cpl Hicks was anti-Dutch or anti-Dutch-vs-Predator. If the former, agreed - even Rambo aged gracefully (In the commentary, Stallone said that he tried to keep Rambo "at range" as much as possible because now, in his 50s, Rambo can't be knife fighting with giant baddies anymore).

But the latter - Black's new film has to have Arnie in it - even in a "briefing scene"... I can't imagine that they would go without him - -- unless its in the future.  But still, a grainy old video-cast of Arnie "It uses da trees... " that'd be ace.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

One of the interesting plots which you discussed was the unreleased script ideas.. like how you mentioned that there was a script idea with the concept of a Predator scientist who was hunting, but also studying the prey. I'm quite surprised you didn't discuss the one script where we had a Predator hunting in a blizzard struck NYC and he happens to be tailing after Dutch.

Also.. I do agree that Arnold wouldn't really be a believable choice for being Dutch because of his age, as well as the same situation being with Sigourney but I also do acknowledge that a lot of fans don't want to see them being re-casted. Not a lot of people like seeing characters being recasted.

And then there was the topic of female Predators.. I tend to think of the Predators as theraspids.. Reptilian like mammals or organisms similar to that. There were such organisms on Earth where we had mammalian like reptilians, and vice versa.

I liked this podcast a lot. It touched up on a lot of things which.. I agreed upon, and also things which I didn't even know about. This one was really interesting and I had fun listening to it.

Russ

Russ

I think they'd show female predators with boobs. But as they said on the 'cast, its a tough call because I do agree that "the more you show, the less interesting the creature gets." On the other hand, we know they have a hunter-caste, but as Hicks points out, that can't be all there is to their society.

I think - again as they say - female predators are all well and good, as long as there's a good reason for them to be there.

As for Old Folk being recast, I don't think anyone would suggest that Arnie  should be tooled up and the main focus of a new movie, but I do strongly feel that if there is to be some sort of continuity then the Dutch should be there. I really loved the references to Predator in P2 and Predators when they mention Arnie's team going in to the jungle - so I hope Dutch is in the new one as I say.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ on Sep 09, 2014, 10:22:16 AM
I'm looking forward to reading the AvP script with the Zero-G combat in it (I had no idea that all these scripts were out there!)... at the moment, I'm reading Eric Red's AL III EN.

You and me both. Unfortunately that draft of the AvP script has never turned up. If you find it, please share.  :P

QuoteI wasn't sure if Cpl Hicks was anti-Dutch or anti-Dutch-vs-Predator. If the former, agreed - even Rambo aged gracefully (In the commentary, Stallone said that he tried to keep Rambo "at range" as much as possible because now, in his 50s, Rambo can't be knife fighting with giant baddies anymore).

I'm adverse to him getting involved in the fight. I have no problem with him having some sort of adversary role in the film.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 09, 2014, 10:28:36 AM
One of the interesting plots which you discussed was the unreleased script ideas.. like how you mentioned that there was a script idea with the concept of a Predator scientist who was hunting, but also studying the prey. I'm quite surprised you didn't discuss the one script where we had a Predator hunting in a blizzard struck NYC and he happens to be tailing after Dutch.

I'd completely forgotten that one until you mentioned it. It's a shame that one hasn't surfaced somewhere either. I would have been interested to see some more of the aborted P3 scripts.

Anyway, I'm glad you chaps enjoyed it.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Russ on Sep 09, 2014, 10:38:05 AM
I think they'd show female predators with boobs. But as they said on the 'cast, its a tough call because I do agree that "the more you show, the less interesting the creature gets." On the other hand, we know they have a hunter-caste, but as Hicks points out, that can't be all there is to their society.

I have no problems with a female Predator whatsoever but a lot of people have different interpretations to what they could be like, and I think that is what has been a major reason why we haven't seen a female Predator. Some people think that they should simply be what the concept art that Michael Broom had drawn, and others believe that they should be nearly indistinguishable from the males of the species. The thing is with Michael Broom's version is that it comes off as extremely sexualized, and I wouldn't want to see something like that on screen. If there is a female hunter, she should be robust and powerful but not sexy.

As for Predator occupations, I have always viewed them in the ways which the Perry's have presented them as. That they are all Hunters and warriors, and those who aren't are regulated to being slaves to do menial and demeaning tasks. But fans see that as being limited and perhaps detrimental to the species. Personally, I have no problems with Predators being a Hunter-Warrior race. I actually like the idea of all Predators being Hunters BUT.. I wouldn't mind seeing specialized Hunters or Hunters with a certain sub-set of skills. These occupations would definitely be geared towards the Hunt.

I've actually entertained the idea of any clan.. Having different Hunters with different skills. They are all Hunters and Warriors but they also have their own occupations. I like to envision one Predator who, aside from hunting is also a specialized medic. He/She would have further medical training to deal with far more grievous wounds and would be able to work more efficiently. I also envision another Predator, who still Hunts but is also something of a mechanic or weaponsmith-- it'd be interesting to see how each clan has different weapons, different styles with a weaponsmith crafting them with their own artistic appeal. And another idea is that considering that Predators have primal mentality, I wouldn't mind seeing a Predator shaman or witchdoctor.

Imagine a Predator biologist who actually does the study of species through the Hunt. He's observing, recording, figuring out the habits of the prey, hunts.. dissects the body, evaluate which organs does which, and categorizes the species for future hunting in some sort of database where other Predators could learn about from.

We've already seen a Predator Cleaner through Wolf.. but I think that execution could've been done a whole lot differently and better. Wolf just seem to come off as more of another Hunter rather than someone trying to erase evidence.

But someone had said that we don't need to see how their politics are run, what their governing body is (they're a clan based society, which would mean they have no need for a King or Queen monarch) and we've already seen the homeworld in AvP-R. Assuming of course you count that movie.. which.. a lot of people, don't.

Darkness

Darkness

Alright, I listened to it now. I'm with you Hicks - I don't want female Predators in any movie whatsoever. It would never work. Predator reproduction etc is one thing that just should never be touched upon.

I was pretty disappointed when I saw Predators - saw it opening night. It's not a bad movie, but just too much of a re-hash of the first one. I still consider Predator 2 to be far superior to Predators.

SM

SM

I don't think Hicks was against female Predators - just against female Predators with boobs.

Doomrulz was more the anti-female Predator.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2014, 09:47:30 PM
I don't think Hicks was against female Predators - just against female Predators with boobs.

Doomrulz was more the anti-female Predator.

True. I have nothing against female Predators - just prefer them without boobs. I continue to stand by my opinion of Predators. A few repeated beats, does not a rehash make.

Russ

Russ

But they would have boobs as (I think it was) Doom pointed out - because of the comic book fetishisation imagery that people would expect.

It'd be pants, though.

SM

SM

I don't see an issue.   Unless they're stupidly big.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed