Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 73,276 times)

The Old One

The Old One

He's correct and I imagine the "1.5x"  philosophy's indistinguishable.

Local Trouble

He's not wrong.

XenoHunter99

;D I don't watch on a phone. I did speed up Lynch to 1.75x That guy needed to get to the point. Anyway, I shared because Voodoo Magic asked. And yes, I do have a different philosophy and outlook on these things. So, that's really all there is to it.

Oasis Nadrama

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 01, 2019, 05:31:45 PM
100% Agreed. Oasis Nadrama.

You can just call me Oasis, I mainly add the last name on websites so people will be able to find my articles and artistic work on Google instead of a bunch of landscapes, sodas and boyzbands.  :D

Nightmare Asylum

So I took the useful bits of footage that were created for Alien: Isolation - The Digital Series and did a super quick edit to turn them into what could essentially be seen as an epilogue to Alien: Isolation, I guess. Pacing is a bit janky, but I think it flows fairly well considering that what I had to work with is essentially a bunch of pieces built to bookend other footage.

https://youtu.be/30W5qfm84BI

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Mar 01, 2019, 05:43:19 PM
;D I don't watch on a phone. I did speed up Lynch to 1.75x That guy needed to get to the point. Anyway, I shared because Voodoo Magic asked. And yes, I do have a different philosophy and outlook on these things. So, that's really all there is to it.

You'd think. Accept very great artists have made the point over and over again that speed matters for affect. Case in point: John Baldesaari's famous work titled "I will not make anymore boring art."
https://vimeo.com/25452374

Im sure you will fast forward to the 11:00 minute mark to not have to sit through the wait to find out what happens at the 11 minute mark. Or perhaps you will just choose not to watch because you find the entire exercise to be boring. Needless to say as this work proves the experience of sitting through the boredom commands you to feel far more frustration and humor at the 11:00 min mark than someone possibly could experience by rushing to "the point." You will not have experienced the hope that feeling of wanting it to be over necessary to achieve the same feeling in the audience of those who waited it out. The point is: to make the audience experience things they cannot without the time taken to build up to them ( this is true in life as well millenials ). Its one very important part of suspense. You cant achieve it if youre rushing through things. This, I would argue, is also why Alien and Aliens are the only scary Alien films because theyre the only ones allowed to not show you the creature and build up tension. The exceptions prove the rule.

EvilMark

EvilMark

I like the concept of the series, but the scenes using cinematics from the game seem to be running on a lower framerate, and the new Amanda model they inserted into some of the gameplay scenes looks like shit and is very poorly animated. It feels more like a fan work than an official production.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 01, 2019, 07:36:54 PM
So I took the useful bits of footage that were created for Alien: Isolation - The Digital Series and did a super quick edit to turn them into what could essentially be seen as an epilogue to Alien: Isolation, I guess. Pacing is a bit janky, but I think it flows fairly well considering that what I had to work with is essentially a bunch of pieces built to bookend other footage.

https://youtu.be/30W5qfm84BI

Nice!

Kradan

Despite i had been really excited about it this turned out as "meh". But i liked ending

Spoiler
These Aliens in stasis were f**king scary ones!
[close]

Stitch

Quote from: David's Creation on Mar 01, 2019, 10:43:21 AM
‪Sad that the new stuff doesn't look as good and they replaced Sigourney's voice.‬
‪But it's better than fan-made "movie" edits of the game.‬

‪Glad I played the game, but this serves as a nice recap that doesn't take 15-20 hours to play every time I want to revisit Amanda's story.‬

Anyway, I've already finished splicing the episodes together and now I'm replacing the Ellen audio with Sigourney.  Just making this cut for personal use, but I might upload somewhere if anyone's interested.
May I suggest replacing the stuttering footage with the scenes taken directly from the game?

razeak

I was thinking about YouTube comments when I mentioned venom.

XenoHunter99

@CainsSon: You're arguing for the importance of artist intentionality with the movie director as artist. Artist intentionality loses power when the work of art reaches its audience. Directors intend people to watch their movies in theaters. But people can watch movies on their phones, so they do that. Directors intend people to watch their films at normal speed. But people can change the speed, so they do that. Artist intentionality has no effect on any of that.

Look another way: Let's say it's 1979 and we went to the theater to watch Alien. And the viewing was fine until we got to the climax of the movie and the projector breaks. So Ripley is running through the ship, the alien is lurking around every corner, and somewhere in there, the screen fills with that reddish-brown melting film color before going white. And we're sitting there for 20 minutes while they get it going again. Or say the film has been in the theater for a while and the reels are all full of scratches. The picture quality is naff the whole way through. None of that is how Ridley Scott intended for us to watch the movie. But that happened a lot.

Then people watched on TV, watched VHS tapes, watched DVDs, and on 'til this summer when we can ideally watch the 4k version on a large 4K TV with surround sound in our living room (assuming we buy all that). Or on our phones. :laugh:

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Stitch on Mar 01, 2019, 10:14:50 PM
May I suggest replacing the stuttering footage with the scenes taken directly from the game?

Lot of effort.  I'm just starting with stitching everything together and putting Sigourney's voice back.  I also re-inserted the beacon shutdown.

Rendering now.  I'll put it on YouTube soon, but I assume it'll get yanked.

gabgrave

Does anyone else find the whole floating in space monologues at the beginning of each episode similar to the style of Final Space?

TC

TC

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2019, 09:35:20 AM
I don't believe all the footage using the in-game models is lifted wholesale from the game. Some of it looks like them trying to film new shots, using the existing models...

Quote from: Ironb4lls on Mar 01, 2019, 04:15:43 PM
I've presented animatics of TV spots to advertising clients, and some of them have resembled the new dialog scenes in this series. They're these low-poly, sort of creepy, minimally animated versions of a storyboard to give people a sense of what the commercial would look like.

Yes, the new game engine footage reminds me a lot of iClone, an increasingly popular real-time game engine package that Hollywood has taken to as a preproduction tool for scene planning (basically a quick way of creating an animated storyboard with 3D assets).

I also seem to recall that Creative Assembly created their own game engine for Isolation, rather than use UE or Unity (the traditional standards). That being the case, it could be that there was something non-standard about the assets that made them difficult to import/export/translate, and therefore difficult to repurpose for close-up lipsync animation. (The head models were in dire need of many, many more shape targets to create even a passing semblance of lipsync phonemes.)

I can only assume they didn't want to work with CA's hi-rez assets that were used for the game's cinematic cut scenes, because their workflow was built around the expediency of a real-time game engine.

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed