Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 70,149 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Ugh, IGN denounces the masterpiece and reinforces the garbage.

Local Trouble

IGN and RottenTomatoes should hang out.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 09:27:43 AM
If those scenes were lifted wholesale from the game, shouldn't the lip syncing issues have been ironed out by the devs?

I can't recall if lip sync was an in issue in the original cut scenes but I don't believe all the footage using the in-game models is lifted wholesale from the game. Some of it looks like them trying to film new shots, using the existing models, with dialogue that was originally just over the radio.

My issue is more with the lip syncing of the new Amanda model.

Quote from: AlienDestroysPredator on Mar 01, 2019, 09:29:06 AM
I had low expectations and was still really disappointed. This whole thing is just way too cheap and lazy for me to appreciate. Fox seems to be dead set on giving the fans everything except what they actually want.

I wanna make it perfectly clear Fox aren't trying to disappoint us. And when I say Fox, I'm not talking the faceless entity. There is a group of people looking after the franchise who want to keep it alive while we're in this period of uncertainty with the company and with feature films. They're only working within their means.

For me they succeeded with Blackout but not here.

Gutter In Outer Space

Quote from: David's Creation on Mar 01, 2019, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 28, 2019, 07:41:51 PM
But the worst thing is

Spoiler
THE ABSENCE OF THE HIVE. WHAT THE f**k? WHAT THE EVERLASTING f**k?
[close]

The Hospital is understandable because in the end, it's just a "subquest". Even if it is magnificently tense, it is uninteresting plot-wise.

The Hive omission cannot be forgiven.

It's in the seventh episode...?  Doesn't spend much time there, but this series didn't spend much time anywhere.  Definitely needed more breathing room.
That's not the Hive scene. Surely you're not forgetting the entire Hive discovery sequence below the reactor?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 09:32:13 AM
IGN is a reviewer, Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2019, 09:35:20 AM
If those scenes were lifted wholesale from the game, shouldn't the lip syncing issues have been ironed out by the devs?

I can't recall if lip sync was an in issue in the original cut scenes
It was a little bit, but it was more of a framerate issue rather than one to do with animation. The framerate in the pre-rendered cutscenes was always choppy for some reason, which sometimes made the mouth movements appear out of sync with the audio. As for the lip sync for the in-game models, they were never meant to be viewed under close-up scrutiny... and here they're paid the attention levels of Norma Desmond.

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2019, 01:28:14 AM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2019, 04:02:24 AM
Are people actually thinking this is literally just cut scenes and mocked up third person gameplay cut together or something? Are we really this stupid as a fan base?  ???
Someone pass me the sauce so I can eat these f**king words.

What sauce do you like? BBQ?

Predator@Alien

As long as there is new canon proposed, I like it. We can see some more scenes, and additional dialogues, it's okay for me.

Still Collating...

Quote from: Gutter In Outer Space on Mar 01, 2019, 09:39:41 AM
Quote from: David's Creation on Mar 01, 2019, 09:13:56 AM
Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 28, 2019, 07:41:51 PM
But the worst thing is

Spoiler
THE ABSENCE OF THE HIVE. WHAT THE f**k? WHAT THE EVERLASTING f**k?
[close]

The Hospital is understandable because in the end, it's just a "subquest". Even if it is magnificently tense, it is uninteresting plot-wise.

The Hive omission cannot be forgiven.

It's in the seventh episode...?  Doesn't spend much time there, but this series didn't spend much time anywhere.  Definitely needed more breathing room.
That's not the Hive scene. Surely you're not forgetting the entire Hive discovery sequence below the reactor?

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 09:32:13 AM
IGN is a reviewer, Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2019, 09:35:20 AM

I can't recall if lip sync was an in issue in the original cut scenes
It was a little bit, but it was more of a framerate issue rather than one to do with animation. The framerate in the pre-rendered cutscenes was always choppy for some reason, which sometimes made the mouth movements appear out of sync with the audio. As for the lip sync for the in-game models, they were never meant to be viewed under close-up scrutiny... and here they're paid the attention levels of Norma Desmond.

Yeah, the in game bad lip sync was always there along with the dead facial animations. But you never get too close to their faces and don't notice it as much. In the game it feels more natural because of this. That's why never in a million years did I think they would use so much in game footage and actually show the awful closeups of everyone's face. I don't understand who came up with such an idea?
They should have used more shots from a greater distance and not focus on their faces if they weren't going to do new animations. Or focus shots more on the alien as the original devs clearly did.

The new Amanda in space scenes were all great IMO. But the rest just baffles me from a creative point of view. It's like if in Alien someone said: shoot Big Chap in full, bright lights from head to toe. And focus on his rubber legs.
They understood how to hide the imperfections, so this adaptation of Amanda's story is a wired one cause I can't understand what happened here?

Yautja_Warrior

First the mobile game and now this. So disappointing, even when I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Using footage from the game and adding in a little bit of new footage (which looks worse than the actual game footage) was just lazy and not at all what Isolation fans want. I would have been fine with an animated movie sequel but this is just wasted potential.

I guess the only good thing is if it gets enough views, it shows the interest is still there and they might look at making a proper sequel (animated movie or game) at some point, fingers crossed.

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Mar 01, 2019, 09:49:52 AM
Are people actually thinking this is literally just cut scenes and mocked up third person gameplay cut together or something? Are we really this stupid as a fan base?  ???

What sauce do you like? BBQ?
I'm partial to sriracha at the moment.

Nukiemorph

‪Sad that the new stuff doesn't look as good and they replaced Sigourney's voice.‬
‪But it's better than fan-made "movie" edits of the game.‬

‪Glad I played the game, but this serves as a nice recap that doesn't take 15-20 hours to play every time I want to revisit Amanda's story.‬

Anyway, I've already finished splicing the episodes together and now I'm replacing the Ellen audio with Sigourney.  Just making this cut for personal use, but I might upload somewhere if anyone's interested.

The Old One

The Old One

Sure! Upload.  :)

Kane's other son

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 06:16:12 AM
So everything Fox does up to this point is all them?

I believe it is actually illegal for Disney to have a say on what Fox does until it officially owns it.

Oasis Nadrama

At least your rage made me laugh.

I'm so disappointed and depressed by The Digital Series that I really needed that kind of laugh. Thank you very much.

Jarac

Jarac

I do find it ironic that it's premiered on IGN, who absolutely took a dump on the game and gave it a 5.9.

XenoHunter99

It would have been painful to watch at normal speed, but I watch most everything at 1.5x or faster. It's faster that way and you still get the content. Obviously, they did it on shoestring budget. It's probably for people who can't be fussed to play the game, but even the players get sucked in by the apparent inclusion of additional content. I can see where they're getting people caught up for More Amanda Ripley, 'cause can't have Alien without a Ripley, Makes me want to puke, but maybe other people think it's great. IGN is a relatively large outlet. It's no surprise they'd get the nod. By this point, nothing Fox does should surprise anyone.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed