Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jul 02, 2020, 03:23:45 PM

Author
Marvel Officially Acquires Alien and Predator Comic License (Read 74,076 times)

lightsyder

They wouldn't have to be but I don't think marvel has ever had crossovers be in continuity before.  Always a first time though.  They could easily make the predators fit, not as sure on xenomorphs.  The brood already fill that role

EJA

Quote from: lightsyder on Jul 08, 2020, 08:26:45 PM
They wouldn't have to be but I don't think marvel has ever had crossovers be in continuity before.  Always a first time though.  They could easily make the predators fit, not as sure on xenomorphs.  The brood already fill that role

DC VERSUS MARVEL was in continuity. As were the numerous crossovers with Malibu Comics' Ultraverse titles in the 90s.

lightsyder

Well they owned Malibu at the time didn't they?  I kinda forgot about those...I think I read some crossovers with spider-man maybe.

And it's been a long time since I read the Versus series.  What referenced them in continuity?  I kinda remember Access or whatever the original character was called showing up somewhere...

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Marvel still owns Malibu, they just can't use them because of mysterious legal issues.

I really wouldn't be surprised if Alien and Predator ended up getting incorporated in the Marvel 616. Star Wars is the exception that proves the rule. Godzilla, Conan, Transformers, and Rom were all worked into mainstream Marvel when they held the rights.

funk_master_chunk

The only way I'd like to see any of them in a Marvel film would be GotG.

Starlord bumps into a Pred in a cantina type bar and he gives it slme funny one liners before the actual anragonist shows up.

Or a Xeno in the collector's tanks.

judge death

what are these numbers? Marvel earth 616 etc?

EJA

Neither will turn up in the MCU; the movie Aliens exists in that universe as fiction. It's referenced in Avengers: Infinity War.

Kailem

Quote from: judge death on Jul 09, 2020, 05:02:20 AM
what are these numbers? Marvel earth 616 etc?

The "616" universe designation is the main Marvel comics universe, as coined by Alan Moore back before Marvel made him mad and he left. There have been tons of alternate universe stories over the years, some just one or two issues and some entire lines that have lasted for several years. Often they're given numerical designations but in the cases of the bigger stuff like the Ultimate universe (the 21st century "reboot" Marvel universe that featured updated, more cinematic versions of their characters outside the continuity of the main 616 comics) they're known by names more often than numbers.

Any time anyone mentions "616" in regards to Marvel they basically just mean "the main universe and continuity".

The Dutch Ghost

Hello all,

I really should post here a bit more but I am a bit burned out about Alien and Predator after the Alien prequels and those Predator movies.

My reception of this news is a bit mixed if I have to be honest. I have never been that big a fan of Dark Horse's Alien comics, a lot of the stories never really worked for me though the quality seemed to improve a bit in the last couple of years, at least regarding style as I disliked a lot of the designs of the earlier comics (spaceships and such).
I can't blame my disappointment about the Engineers on Dark Horse and its writers, that is more an issue with the Alien prequel movies.

My favorite Alien comic still remains "Aliens Apocalypse the Destroying Angels", and for Predator it is "Hell and Hot Water"

Sorry, going a little off topic here.

Seeing Marvel taken on the Alien and Predator universe might be interesting if I did not have a few personal criticisms and most of them are against Marvel and Disney.
I know Marvel can do "dark" though for me a good Alien or Predator story does not depend on how gory and bloody it is, more how well a story is told and how well characters are written (sorry but sometimes the characters in the DH comics were quite awful, ridiculous, or stereotypes).
Marvel writers' character writing these last ten year (perhaps fifteen) hasn't been exactly good. I am not throwing all of the writers onto one heap but the good ones tend to be more the exception than the standard.
Creative wise I think they will just follow up on what others have already been doing and I do not expect much "surprises" that could be exciting. Marvel/Disney is just going to milk these licenses for what remains to be milked.

As for crossovers, personally I do not think that the Aliens or the Predators work in a "supers" universe.
In the main Marvel universe there are various creatures already as dangerous as the aliens themselves, not to mention entities even deadlier than them, and the Predators are tech wise outdone by several of the major interstellar civilizations. The Predators would be just another random species Supers would run into.
They work much better in a universe which is much closer to our own reality, one that doesn't have incredible technologies other than FTL travel and communication and energy weapons (no teleporation or interdimensional travel), a universe that is cold and lonely because there are not dozens or even hundreds of technologically advanced species zipping between the star systems, life and especially intelligent life being quite rare and perhaps lasting barely a "second" in the universe's history.

Someone here suggested that it might be interesting to see the Predators hunt members of the various alien species of the Marvel universe and of course the Supers, Mutants, and other various other characters and human off shoots on Earth but to me it would just make it another crossover comic.

Marvel indeed had a tendency to incorporate other timelines into their main universe such as Conan which can work to a certain degree as most of it takes place long before the rise of the ancient world, but I feel that other licenses like Transformers, GIJoe never really worked and it was better to spin them off to their own universes. (Godzilla was kind of amusing and it was fun to watch SHIELD go against the creature, but I think it works better as a fun what if)
I am glad that Marvel never tried to make Indiana Jones and Robocop part of the Marvel universe back when they had those licenses. (well Indy could happen but I honestly hope it doesn't)

I don't have real expectations of this.
I never read Marvel's new Star Wars comics because they in general lack the space adventure/space opera vibe the older comics did back when the SW universe was still being established and was closer to Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon and other pulp sci-fi. There is nothing really exciting to discover any more.

Kailem

Just nabbed the last Predator: The Original Comics Series and William Gibson's Alien 3 hardcovers the UK Amazon had in stock. Predator at least now has the expected "currently unavailable - we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock" message on its listing when you click on it.

Granted as has already been said, I'm sure it's only going to be a matter of time before we start seeing Marvel reprinting a lot or all of Dark Horse's stuff. But still, if you're anything like me (aka a chronic procrastinator) and there's anything you've been meaning to pick up but just never quite gotten around to it for whatever reason, now might well be the time.

barrydalgarno

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 02, 2020, 05:16:01 PM
End of an era, but we all knew it would be coming eventually.

I'm not sure how I feel about something like Iron Man Vs Predator or Guardians of the Galaxy vs Aliens but I guess we'll see how things go. Hopefully they do things similar to the way Dark Horse did and keep the cross overs minimal.

About the violence/gore worry; maybe these will fall under the MAX title so we can get more adult oriented content. The Punisher's max titles are always super violent (and tbh he's the only Marvel hero I'd want to see fight a Predator).

The MAX imprint is pretty extreme and would suit the Alien/Predator world well. Here's hoping that's what they do with it and not just put the brands on ice because they own it but don't want to tarnish their "family" brand. I'd think they'd know what kind of a goldmine they're sitting on with those properties.

Kailem

Very appropriate title! :D Looking forward to giving this a listen!

Voodoo Magic

Yeah this should be fun. Hoping for equal parts optimism and pessimism.

And remember to play the AvPGalaxy drinking game!  Take a shot everytime Hicks says "f*cking"!   ;D

Corporal Hicks

I'll be genuinely curious as to how that goes.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed