Prometheus SFX Magazine Scans

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 12:05:59 PM

Author
Prometheus SFX Magazine Scans (Read 11,480 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: bobcunk on May 05, 2012, 03:36:06 PM
couldn't Weyland Corp have rented out the marines or something. And picture it like a super mega comanay that owns and runs almost everything.

You don't "rent out" Marines, no. :)

The closest you get to that, in today's world, would be private security contractors, like Blackwater. If a government ever allowed private companies to briefly own their own defence forces, it would be insanity.

And like I said, doing so would contradict Ripley's conversation with Burke in the APC about company jurisdiction versus military jurisdiction, which was more realistic and also served to make the stakes more interesting by introducing the concept of competing interests.

Infected

Infected

Quote from: Xenomorphine on May 06, 2012, 06:48:10 AM
Quote from: bobcunk on May 05, 2012, 03:36:06 PM
couldn't Weyland Corp have rented out the marines or something. And picture it like a super mega comanay that owns and runs almost everything.

You don't "rent out" Marines, no. :)

The closest you get to that, in today's world, would be private security contractors, like Blackwater. If a government ever allowed private companies to briefly own their own defence forces, it would be insanity.

And like I said, doing so would contradict Ripley's conversation with Burke in the APC about company jurisdiction versus military jurisdiction, which was more realistic and also served to make the stakes more interesting by introducing the concept of competing interests.
Dont know about that for sure,
military is a company.
On big ships in the ocean that are attacked by Somali pirates here in Holland they can rent or get marines protection,
or against a cheaper price private guys.
So when there is a big interest i think its possible to rent them,no doubt about it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

If you literally rent out soldiers for money, they're called mercenaries. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed