Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 10, 2019, 12:59:28 PM

Author
Alien: Phalanx by Scott Sigler (Read 88,802 times)

Kradan

Kradan

:D

Also, ouch

Nightmare Asylum

On those details... (Katanu don't open this spoiler 'til you're done)

Spoiler
I absolutely love the mini-continuity that this formed with The Cold Forge, what with Zachariah's mention of "Snatchers." These are easily my two favorite Alien novels, and it is really cool to know that Sigler reached out to White a bit and made stuff like that happen.
[close]

scottsigler

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 16, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Quote from: Katanu on Nov 15, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Just got this book, and I plan to start reading it today.
Hope its good!

Bummer, I'm sorry to didn't enjoy it. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Quote from: Katanu on Nov 16, 2020, 01:45:30 PM
I'm 13 chapters in. Couldn't stop reading last night, and would have kept reading if I didn't have to work today.
So far I'm really enjoying it. I've always defended that Alien belongs in space, in ship corridors, in other planet's terraforming colonies. They look silly in a modern day small town (I'm looking at you, AvP-R), and Aliens in a medieval world could turn out to be something really corny. To me, Predator was always the one that had the potential to be moved around into different settings and time periods to give us some really cool stories.
Well, Aliens Phalanx so far is proving me wrong. Maybe because its really well written. Can't wait to go back to it after work.

Also, I started this book assuming it would take place on Earth, in the past. But now I know that's not the case, hope the book gives more details on that.

Dope! I hope it finishes strong for you.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm really, REALLY sorry, Scott. I was just joking. For sure, there were things in your book I was unsure about but overall it was pretty great read. It was a long book and I don't regret one minute spent on it. Again, sorry for my poor sense of humour

Btw, I'm the guy who wrote this:

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 03, 2020, 06:38:31 AM
Spoiler
When Plagiarus praepotens was mentioned I had a legitimate fangasm  :)

Also when one of the characters pissed (twice) on Alien I laughed pretty hard. Sooo satisfying !
[close]

Also, I'm genuinely surprised you're still checking these forums after what - 9 months since Phalanx was released ? Such dedication deserved fo be applauded

Katanu

Katanu

The author of the book I'm reading read my post about it, now that's cool  :D
Very nice of you to visit the foruns and care about the fans' opinions.
I'll start chapter 39 tonight, so far I'm having a great time with the book!
I hope Titan hires you to write a Predator novel too, would love to see that, if you would be interested in writing one.

Spoiler
Also, gotta love the little Vootervert Alien!
[close]

Edit: Finished reading it. It was a great read! The last Alien novel I've read was Cold Forge, and while I loved Cold Forge for different reasons, Phalanx was more fun to read. It's nice how the novel changes from being very suspenseful with the horrifying reality of the runners of Lemeth's Hold to the epic action packed confrontations from the final chapters. Liyahs character arch was also really well done, along with the relationship with her friends, I started not so sure about them, but ended up rooting for them all. The World building also made me buy the story, at the beggining I was wondering all the time when and where it took place, but eventually I was pulled into that world and stopped wondering about that, only to be awarded with the anwsers near the end.
I don't have much knowledge on real medieval battle tactics, only a few Age of Empires 2 unit counters and stuff, but fans of that will probably get a kick out of this, since it appears Sigler put a lot of effort into it.

Anyway, loved the book, highly recommend it!

Gentleman Death

I just finished and loved, loved this book! I could've easily read another 200 pages!

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

Just finished. Loved it. I love how it broke the mold.

Spoiler
Not sure about swallowing the leaves to abort a chestburster, but that's been discussed plenty.

The big reveal at the end was exactly what I was hoping for. I knew the story took place far in the future after Resurrection, but everyone kept saying not to spoil the big reveal. This had me concerned that the whole setting was a simulation or a deliberate setup by WY being monitored as an experiment. A reveal like this would have really pissed me off. I just wanted a brief explanation of how this world came to be and that's all.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: scottsigler on Nov 16, 2020, 08:49:04 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Nov 16, 2020, 08:58:49 AM
Quote from: Katanu on Nov 15, 2020, 08:56:51 PM
Just got this book, and I plan to start reading it today.
Hope its good!

Bummer, I'm sorry to didn't enjoy it. Thanks for giving it a shot.

Quote from: Katanu on Nov 16, 2020, 01:45:30 PM
I'm 13 chapters in. Couldn't stop reading last night, and would have kept reading if I didn't have to work today.
So far I'm really enjoying it. I've always defended that Alien belongs in space, in ship corridors, in other planet's terraforming colonies. They look silly in a modern day small town (I'm looking at you, AvP-R), and Aliens in a medieval world could turn out to be something really corny. To me, Predator was always the one that had the potential to be moved around into different settings and time periods to give us some really cool stories.
Well, Aliens Phalanx so far is proving me wrong. Maybe because its really well written. Can't wait to go back to it after work.

Also, I started this book assuming it would take place on Earth, in the past. But now I know that's not the case, hope the book gives more details on that.

Dope! I hope it finishes strong for you.

The whole book is awesome, I absolutely adore it. :)

Thank you

scottsigler

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 16, 2020, 08:58:57 PM
I'm really, REALLY sorry, Scott. I was just joking. Also, I'm genuinely surprised you're still checking these forums after what - 9 months since Phalanx was released ? Such dedication deserved fo be applauded

No worries! Readers are entitled to their opinion and every book can't be everything to all people.

I check in every now and then, yeah. This forum has the most deeply committed franchise fans, I think, so it's great to know whether or not I delivered for this audience.

Kradan

Kradan

I apologise for my joke of poor taste one more time. I loved your book and will definetly re-read it soon

Prez

Prez

Started reading this book as a new years resolution to read more books!

And I can't put it down. I'm nearing the end now and it's been very intriguing ... it did drag on initially building the whole word and culture around Lemeth and it's people but it was worth it now. Enjoyable. Nice one Scott.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Prez on Jan 24, 2021, 03:36:19 AM
Started reading this book as a new years resolution to read more books!

And I can't put it down. I'm nearing the end now and it's been very intriguing ... it did drag on initially building the whole word and culture around Lemeth and it's people but it was worth it now. Enjoyable. Nice one Scott.

Finished it. Really enjoyed it. Great work Scott.

SM

SM

The History of Ataegina.

Exclusive history provided by Scott Sigler for his novel Aliens - Phalanx.  HUGE SPOILERS - don't click if you want to read the book for yourself.

Nightmare Asylum

Cool stuff, I'll definitely be referencing this a fair amount!

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Really great of Scott to provide this. Bravo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed