ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 391,527 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 03:03:05 AM
What's "our official stance"?

Stick with the films?

Xenomrph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 12, 2014, 03:05:44 AM

Stick with the films?
He's asking what predxeno means by the phrase.

And we don't have an "official stance", because we're all individuals who can make up our own minds. :)

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 12, 2014, 03:05:44 AM

Stick with the films?

Works for me - but I don't know what Predxeno is trying to say.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 03:00:15 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 02:48:24 AM
I still don't get why fans never liked bringing Hicks back from the dead, then again no one ever told me. :(

Because he was quite clearly, obviously and irretrievably dead in Alien3, and the manner of his return was possibly the most incomprehensibly bad piece of writiing ever associated with an Alien license.  It not only paid no attention to the continuity of the souce material - it paid no attention to its own continuity.
^ THIS THIS THIS THIS!!! Also, didn't Andrews collect Hicks' military ID tags? I'm sure that the CM and/or WY had to have them for confirmation issues. Also, if you look below the names in the film (ie Lt. Ellen Ripley, unidentified female, etc) the numbers are below the name, SURELY that would have to confirm who the adults fn are.

SM

Considering Ripley was comatose, and Hicks' cryotube monitoring equipment was all smashed - that's the obvious and simplest conclusion.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 12, 2014, 02:48:24 AM
I still don't get why fans never liked bringing Hicks back from the dead, then again no one ever told me. :(

It really hurts me that people don't like me being back.  :-\ But I'll get used to it. *considers changing username again*

But yeah, it seems of late we're getting a lot of retcons. It seems that Fox is really adverse to trying new things again.

Xenomrph

What do you mean?

By definition, retcons are shoehorning "new things" into what has come before and then forcing them to fit by making changes. :P

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 03:00:15 AMBecause he was quite clearly, obviously and irretrievably dead in Alien3, and the manner of his return was possibly the most incomprehensibly bad piece of writiing ever associated with an Alien license.  It not only paid no attention to the continuity of the souce material - it paid no attention to its own continuity.

Yep. It wasn't so much what they did (although the fact they even tried it reeks of lame fan-fiction), it was the hysterically improbable scenario they conjured up to achieve it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2014, 07:17:41 AMIt really hurts me that people don't like me being back.  :-\ But I'll get used to it. *considers changing username again*

"No offence" - Burke

SM

QuoteBut yeah, it seems of late we're getting a lot of retcons. It seems that Fox is really adverse to trying new things again.

Possibly because all the new things they've tried in recent years haven't been overly successful?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 07:22:57 AM
What do you mean?

By definition, retcons are shoehorning "new things" into what has come before and then forcing them to fit by making changes. :P

I mean - leaving Ripley alone and not tying everything into the older media.

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 07:45:26 AM
Possibly because all the new things they've tried in recent years haven't been overly successful?

True enough. Just takes the right people though.

gabgrave

gabgrave

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2014, 07:17:41 AM
But yeah, it seems of late we're getting a lot of retcons. It seems that Fox is really adverse to trying new things again.
Fox is jumping in on the Prometheus hype to bring back more Aliens. With the new novels and comics, it's only a matter of time until Alien5.
It really hurts me that people don't like me being back.  :-\ But I'll get used to it. *considers changing username again*
Nothing personal. As long as you don't have CPL. HICKS L55321 stenciled on the back of your shorts.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 12, 2014, 09:25:12 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 12, 2014, 07:22:57 AM
What do you mean?

I mean - leaving Ripley alone and not tying everything into the older media.

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 07:45:26 AM

True enough. Just takes the right people though.

Out Of The Shadows was much better than it had a right to be.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 12:27:49 PMOut Of The Shadows was much better than it had a right to be.

It was still hurt by them shoehorning Ripley into it though.

Xenomrph

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 12, 2014, 09:31:43 AM
Fox is jumping in on the Prometheus hype to bring back more Aliens. With the new novels and comics, it's only a matter of time until Alien5.
It's less to do with Prometheus and more to do with the 35th anniversary of 'Alien'.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 12, 2014, 12:34:34 PM
Quote from: SM on Sep 12, 2014, 12:27:49 PMOut Of The Shadows was much better than it had a right to be.

It was still hurt by them shoehorning Ripley into it though.

Indeed - I wasn't saying the new stuff isn't good. I've enjoyed both new novels a lot but the Fox mandated Ripley inclusion hurt Out of the Shadows quite a lot.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed