Idea's of a Perfect Alien vs Predator film

Started by Predwars24, Feb 16, 2019, 09:23:49 PM

Author
Idea's of a Perfect Alien vs Predator film (Read 7,919 times)

Frosty Venom

2h 30m run time.
Harsh Jungle Planet with a Weyland-Yutani mining/research facility and colony.
Introduce colony and an important character similiar to Aliens Extended Cut but show a lot more of the downfall.
Hunting party of 3 Predators.
Hive in facility (presence of Praetorians).
Marines are sent in.
Slow burn moments of Marines being stalked by Predators in Jungle and lone Xenomorphs in colony corridors but really amp up the action towards the second half of the film (Swarms of Xenos vs Marines vs Predators).
Final struggle with Predalien.

Huggs

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 19, 2019, 04:09:14 AM
2h 30m run time.
Introduce colony and an important character similiar to Aliens Extended Cut but show a lot more of the downfall.
Marines are sent in.
Slow burn moments of Marines being stalked by Predators in Jungle and lone Xenomorphs in colony corridors but really amp up the action towards the second half of the film (Swarms of Xenos vs Marines vs Predators).

Sounds like rebellions avp3.

SM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 19, 2019, 04:09:14 AM
2h 30m run time.
Marines are sent in.

Sounds a bit uneven.  You have the downfall of a colony, so you need to establish a bunch of characters, then once they're all dead, you need to establish all new characters.

Frosty Venom

Yeah AVP 2010 nailed everything aesthetically in my opinion.

@SM Aliens Extended cut does the exact same thing no? I'm talking about that amount of time spended establishing the colony and one survivor character, just showing a bit more action.

SiL

It doesn't. It doesn't show the downfall of the colony, which is an important distinction. If it did, the pacing would be uneven. All of the action is left for the second half of the film; the first half is build and slow-burn.

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 19, 2019, 01:06:54 AM
I think Dallas in the vents is probably the most tense and fear inducing piece in the franchise. The music, the dialogue,  Everything was just top notch there. It still scares the hell out of me.
Even if we put Dallas at number one, Operations is an easy number of two.

And Aliens is a much more frightening film than Alien3, but everyone loves acting like Aliens ruined the vibe.

SM

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Feb 19, 2019, 04:27:06 AM
Yeah AVP 2010 nailed everything aesthetically in my opinion.

@SM Aliens Extended cut does the exact same thing no? I'm talking about that amount of time spended establishing the colony and one survivor character, just showing a bit more action.

As SiL said, not really.  We have one scene with one survivor Newt.  In your scenario it seems we need to set up Simpson, Lydecker, Russ, Anne, Tim and maybe some other characters too - then kill them off.  If this happens by the halfway mark, you then need to start again with the marines.

If you look at Aliens SE we're doing the knife trick by the 30 minute mark and so already setting up the marines (having already introduced Ripley, Burke and Gorman).  We spend the next 40 minutes spending more time with them as well as dialling up the tension before the hive ambush.

SiL

To be fair, I thought Friday the 13th did "kill all of the characters in the first act and start again" surprisingly well, but slasher movies have veeeery low standards to meet for "giving a shit about characters". I don't think it'd work with A/P.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 04:37:02 AM
It doesn't. It doesn't show the downfall of the colony, which is an important distinction. If it did, the pacing would be uneven. All of the action is left for the second half of the film; the first half is build and slow-burn.

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 19, 2019, 01:06:54 AM
I think Dallas in the vents is probably the most tense and fear inducing piece in the franchise. The music, the dialogue,  Everything was just top notch there. It still scares the hell out of me.
Even if we put Dallas at number one, Operations is an easy number of two.

And Aliens is a much more frightening film than Alien3, but everyone loves acting like Aliens ruined the vibe.

I see what you're saying. Operations was scary for a more action heavy movie. I'd still put Dallas at #1 be cause it doesn't end in action, it's extreme tension that ends in one of the most frightening scares in the franchise.

As for alien 3, what works for me most there is not any sort of action or fear, but the ambience of the thing. It's the music and environment and the nihilistic subject matter. It's much more internal than the other films. Which is why I think the trilogy is so well balanced.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 04:45:14 AM
To be fair, I thought Friday the 13th did "kill all of the characters in the first act and start again" surprisingly well, but slasher movies have veeeery low standards to meet for "giving a shit about characters". I don't think it'd work with A/P.

Hasn't stopped them before...

SiL

Well now I need to write a script where we start with a colony going down and build from there just to see if it works.

The Old One

The Old One

AVP Idea:
Quote from: The Old One on Sep 23, 2018, 10:32:56 PM
Similar scenario to the original Alien and Predator-
Only our team doesn't realise it's being picked off by two creatures rather than the one.

On the Alien's fear quality.

Aliens is tense, not frightening. The idea it "ruined the vibrations" is a misrepresentation though:
Quote from: The Old One on Sep 24, 2018, 06:10:40 PM
It's down to people's perspective on what "Aliens' is rather than what happens onscreen, influencing the EU media.
For instance, only a minor number of Aliens die onscreen because of the Colonial Marines.
But people assume more do, because so much is left to the imagination.

AlienĀ³'s quality is ambience + soundtrack.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 05:10:52 AM
Aliens is tense, not frightening.
Scared the f**k out of me as a kid just as much as Alien did.

The Old One

The Old One

Not in a I'm-so-tough, kinda way- but I can't recall any of them frightening me as a kid. Alien unsettled me, I believe...
I don't completely remember. I do remember, I just found Alien fascinating, more than any other film or entry in the series.

I remember asking my Dad, if it was going to be "-one of those stupid looking bobblehead aliens." 
And he just replied; "No."

I wish I could remember more.

SM

Quote from: SiL on Feb 19, 2019, 05:23:53 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 05:10:52 AM
Aliens is tense, not frightening.
Scared the f**k out of me as a kid just as much as Alien did.

I don't recall being scared watching Aliens - and I avoided horror movies like the plague when I was young; some covers in the video shop scared me.

But despite not being scared watching the movie, I distinctly recall being half asleep and too scared to move one night because there was a facehugger under the bed.

And that was just last weekend.

SiL

I did ask my dad to rewind the chestbursting to watch it again, but by the time we got to Ripley running around the ship I was disappearing into my seat.

Same with the Operations attack.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed