Alien vs Predator : Oasis (concept)

Started by OpenMaw, Jun 04, 2018, 12:36:19 AM

Author
Alien vs Predator : Oasis (concept) (Read 5,447 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

SYNOPSIS

An escape pod hurtles towards "Ixion" B-751. It's hull marked with a mysterious tracking beacon. On the surface, a team of core drillers and corporate security operate the Oasis IV coring platform, going about their mundane and risk averse lives surrounded by a primordial alien world in search of wealth buried beneath the planet's surface.

When the pod makes planet fall near their platform, the hapless souls of Oasis IV  find themselves caught between the deadliest creatures in the universe. The only question on their minds is... Who will survive?

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Dissatisfied with the official direction taken with the ALIEN and PREDATOR franchises, AVP OASIS sets to strip both characters back to their roots and throw them into a blender of rending claws and savage blades. One Predator. One Alien. Fair game.

I was deeply inspired by SiL's very own AVP script (https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=34423.120) and borrowing a few of his ideas I set out to craft my own version of an AVP story.

One comic in particular nagged in the back of my mind. "Chained to Life and Death." It's a short one-off about an aging predator who goes on one last hunt against an alien, and in the end realizes that the beast does not understand or care about it's role in this Predator's "glory."

The fusion of ALIEN and PREDATOR was something that I really thought was poorly handled with the first AVP film. Neither creature feels particular authentic. Location, time period, character. It was all fairly disappointing.

Ixion, as described in the synopsis is an active planet. It's a younger world too, in the sense that life has begun to sprung up on it for the first time. strange alien plants and fungal pods wrapped and weave it's surface. In certain respects it'll look like an arid Beksinski come to life.

The Oasis project was set up by a rival company to Weyland Yutani, looking to exploit raw material on distant worlds. Unfortunately Oasis has proved to an expensive, ambitious, failure.

The crew of Oasis IV are a dozen plus personnel. The coring/operating crew. The Admin staff, and a small contingent of Colonial Marshalls.

Our primary leads will be the Chief Administrator Chelsea Van-cleef and Marshall Thomas Warden. Van Cleef is basically in over her head and under the gun, and that's before the creatures show up. Warden is an older, tired, ex colonial marine who was discharged after an industrial accident aboard a marine transport. Cut him off his track to a proper military commission. He's coped by developing an addiction to drinking.

The Predator in the story, given the nick name of "Drifter." He's an elder Predator whom at a glance will appear to be very much based on Jungle Hunter. He's lean, and fit. Agile, and adept. His nickname comes from another source of inspiration. The classic Clint Eastwood western "High Plains Drifter." Visually. if you imagine a mixture of Jungle Hunter, "Scout", and Elder, you're on the right track.

The Alien is intended to be as perfect a recreation of the original beast as possible. The important stages of the life cycle are all  highlighted and the intelligence, grace, and power of the creature are on full display.

Some additional sources of inspiration:
Freddy vs Jason, The Thing, The second Gibson draft for Alien 3, and AVP on Atari Jaguar(tone).

Like I said previously, authenticity is very important. That's everything from creature design, to world and character building, to music and sound. I intend to create a new score for the film, but utilize motifs and themes heard in both ALIEN and PREDATOR. From the distant clanging and dissonant trumpeting from Alien, to the tribal bongo drums of Predator. The infamous clicking and pulsing of Motion Trackers, to the familiar whirring and beeping of the Alien verse hardware.

WHERE IS IT/WHAT IS IT?

A 3D animated Machinima that I am currently working on. At this stage it is in pre-production, but I wanted to start the thread and get the word going. This is my primary project, and I've been buzzing on and off about it for years.

I'll be posting the treatment in a few days. Right now, i'm looking to put this all together in Unreal Engine 4 using it's incredibly powerful sequence and animation editors.

The Old One

The Old One

This sounds like a really good set-up.

I particularly like the idea of mining operations, I'm picturing the sort of atmosphere the original Dead Space emanates with Aegis 7 and so on.

Corporal Hicks

Really curious to see how you get on with this! Have you had a chance to do any test animations?

Wysps

Wysps

Looks like it has a solid foundation :) Curious to see where you go with the two human leads, especially Van-cleef. Thumbs up.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 06, 2018, 01:28:15 AM
Looks like it has a solid foundation :) Curious to see where you go with the two human leads, especially Van-cleef. Thumbs up.

She's based on my last boss/manager. She was always on edge and prone to going from very playful and funny to pulling her hair out and being incredibly sarcastic.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 04, 2018, 07:50:10 AM
Really curious to see how you get on with this! Have you had a chance to do any test animations?

Nothing AVP specific, but I have fiddled with Unreal Engine 4 quite a bit and been watching a lot of YouTube video tutorials over the last two and a half years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8fRLyOqxQ

Again, nothing AVP specific, but I've been doing lot's of experimentation. With camera setups, materials, animation, lighting.

BigDaddyJohn

Interesting idea... You, sir, have my attention  ;)

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 06, 2018, 06:23:10 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Jun 06, 2018, 01:28:15 AM

She's based on my last boss/manager. She was always on edge and prone to going from very playful and funny to pulling her hair out and being incredibly sarcastic.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 04, 2018, 07:50:10 AM

Nothing AVP specific, but I have fiddled with Unreal Engine 4 quite a bit and been watching a lot of YouTube video tutorials over the last two and a half years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsmXQ3lAxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS8fRLyOqxQ

Again, nothing AVP specific, but I've been doing lot's of experimentation. With camera setups, materials, animation, lighting.

She sounds incredibly high strung :laugh:

So what's the next step for you guys on this project?

SiL

SiL

Oh, you're still going with this! Looking forward to it.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Jun 09, 2018, 04:28:25 AM
Oh, you're still going with this! Looking forward to it.

Yessir!

Treatment is still a couple days out. Work has been killer. This weekend I plan to touch up both my Alien 3 Fan Edit and get the ball rolling on this further.

Been contemplating various scenes while i'm at work. One thing I want to try and do is utilize the traits of each character against one another in ways we don't often see. One example is the voice mimicry of the Predator. I was thinking of ways that could actually be used against the alien.

I've also come up with a more detailed backstory for the Drifter Predator.

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 08, 2018, 03:08:38 AM
She sounds incredibly high strung :laugh:

An understatement.  ;D She was also a bit of a go getter.

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 08, 2018, 03:08:38 AM
So what's the next step for you guys on this project?

Gonna finish the treatment, and while i'm doing that i'm also working on some sketches and storyboard stuff. Then, start in on the first draft and begin a story boarding process. From there a breakdown of all the assets i'll need, and then begin construction of sets, etc.

Here's a preview of Drifter. I'll be posting a full color image when I post the treatment.

BigDaddyJohn

Do you intend to give the drifter new weapons/gadgets coming straight out of your imagination ? That would be really cool !

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 13, 2018, 01:10:12 PM
Do you intend to give the drifter new weapons/gadgets coming straight out of your imagination ? That would be really cool !

There are a couple of new things i'm experimenting with.

I call it the "Royal Dagger." There's quite a bit of backstory to this weapon. Mostly fluff that won't be directly referenced in the film.

Just imagine the shot, over the alien's shoulder, looking at Drifter. Both creatures badly injured, bleeding from open wounds. Drifter out of weapons. he pulls this bad boy off his belt spins it into a downward angle and swings in a downward stabbing motion towards the alien, grappling for supremacy.

Given his inspiration coming in part from Eastwood westerns I have been working on the equivalent to a Predator six shooter or flintlock pistol. Though, unlike the requiem hand blaster, it won't be a plasma weapon, it'll be akin to a "sawed off" spear gun, or i've been thinking of something similar to the FLAK cannon from Unreal. Something very brutal and slicey.

There's also a booby trap that may or may not make the cut called the "shrapper" which is used basically as another means to gravely injure or maim a target before killing them. It looks unassuming enough. A plated orb with Predator writing, and then a moment later it "slices" open, segmented pattern on the outer shell, and out of the opening holes two inch double sided darts shoot in every direction.

He has a Predator 2 style spear, but it's tips are... Well, inspired by ALIEN and Secret of NIMH ironically:

I was also thinking of including the Predator burner/cannon gun from the first AVP comic, but I honestly think Predator has enough goddamn gear at this point, and it would be redundant with the new spear/frak gun.

BigDaddyJohn

Ok, i like it ! The booby trap sounds relevant considering what he's facing in that situation.

Wysps

Wysps

So as far as the aesthetic, what direction are you thinking of taking Predator: traditional tribal or Broken Tusk full suit, like the picture you showed with Noguchi?  The sketches look great, by the way.  I like the scarring/abrasions (?) that are on the left side of its face.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

He has a fusion of both the City Hunter and Jungle Hunter armor pieces. Right shoulder armor was lost in battle. You can see talon scars on his shoulder there. Below that he has a tribal tatoo wrapping bicep. More lettering on his belt. He's sporting the tattered remains of a cape.

He has a scar across one eye, and a scar on one of his mandibles. The latter is actually taken from Bruce Campbell's chin.

Not only is his armor a mixture of the two OG predators, but he's sporting gear that intermixes the two, along with some new toys.

I decided to take the net launcher in the wrist gauntlet idea from AVP and plugged that into the City Hunter's gauntlet.

The Frag pistol has gone through several transformations. The initial gun shape was much more segmented like the shoulder armor on City Hunter, and it would unfold. I decided to go a little more elegant because I wanted something that evoked a revolver. It's basically a very nasty Predator M79 "thumper." It fires a liquid-fueled round that on impact releases not only fragmentation from the warhead, but also the equivalent to white phosphorous. Basically firing off burning metal shards and acid.

The shrapper is going to get a different design then what I have here thus far. In this early version I imagined them clipped to his belt and he would just arm and toss it from on high.(They have settings for timed, remote, and proxy.) The problem is, design wise it's too close to the disc, and it's bigger than I want it to be. I want something more porcupine in shape. Like I said, a knight's Mace spheroid shape almost. Something that at first almost looks like some kind of a relic, or a stone. IE: confusing enough to get a closer look at.

The tracking beacon will also likely get a new, more snail-shell like design. This version was aping off the mine/force field thingies from AVP:R, with red light going up the edges to the top. Be-deep be-deep be-deep...

Drifter's the last of his tribe. His hunting party was decimated en masse in a situation very similar to the opening of Peter Briggs AVP script. Given he's a Predator of advanced years there's doubtless motivation for him to go out in a very big demonstration.

Slight update, revised his mask:

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Continuing to rework Drifter. As i've been working on the outline i've been making changes to the visual look.

Lot's of character details added here. The armor has suffered some hefty damage in places. His wrist blades are tying into a small power pack on his upper arm. Some kind of damage damaged the power supply to the mechanism.

The wrist launcher on the left hand now fires P2 style darts instead of the net. (I excised the net, no need for it.)

Finalized the Frag gun. I think it's going to look bad ass. If you look closely you can see it has it's own set of triple laser sighting on the top of the barrel.

The thing mid right is the tracking device. In it's deploy state it fires four harpoons into the hull of it's target and ratchet's itself tight to the hull. It is then programmed to emit a very powerful pulse beacon that Predators can easily track.

Those ornamental looking guys in the lower right are the new shrappers. The "bottom' blinks when they're armed. Designed to be huffed like a grenade. To an unsuspecting eye they don't look like anything more than ornamentation, but what they unleash is pretty brutal.

On the mask. I really wanted to keep the Jungle Hunter mask look intact, but I decided to infuse a bit of the "Narin" style mask and the ridge detailing of the original "Gort" mask.

I replaced the claw marks on his right arm with a far nastier looking acid burn. Small detail there is that a lot of his quills in that area are permanently gone.

The shin and chest pieces are actually taken from the "Rastafarian" concept art that ultimately inspired the final look of the Predator. My original idea for Drifter, before I started this thread, was that he was very much a cut down, back to basics, Predator. This, along with him having the cross draw frag gun, is why I took off the hip armor on the left leg.

Some people might question the logic of having less armor against an opponent that bleeds acid, but the prevailing wisdom, in my take, at least for some of the Predator's hunting the alien, is that you are better off being light weight and quick to react, then you are to try and bulk up in armor.

Rough color test on ol' Drifter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed