How long Xenomorphs live?

Started by (Bad Blood), Sep 08, 2022, 08:27:48 AM

Author
How long Xenomorphs live? (Read 3,043 times)

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Hey just curious what is the life span of a Xenomorph? Can they live hundreds of years or a few weeks?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

"As long as the story needs them to" is the unfortunate answer. The movies never make a definitive statement on the subject and there's plenty of EU things that have them being functionally immortal while other stuff leans closer to the short-lived-bioweapon angle.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm glad they haven't gone with one day lifespan idea

SiL

SiL

They never live more than a few weeks in the movies so we have no way of knowing.

Kradan

Kradan

My head canon is this: Xenos will remain active untill they capture and impregnate the last of viable hosts in their reach. After that they will enter a state of deep hibernation which makes them as close to immortal as it gets

SiL

SiL

I think the adults will ultimately fade away and die, but the eggs persist.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I prefer that they can all hibernate indefinitely.

Huntsman

Huntsman

They're survivors. If they weren't killed in combat I'd imagine they would live for a long time, and in that time constantly seeking to multiply their numbers. The one day life cycle idea had merit (they grow quickly, thus everything could be sped up), but it's not what I'd prefer at all. Growing up fast just means they're killing people quicker.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SiL on Sep 08, 2022, 07:16:11 PMI think the adults will ultimately fade away and die, but the eggs persist.

Which fits in with the vibe that the original film gives. Though, that could just be the technology of the derelict keeping the eggs preserved.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 08, 2022, 07:19:19 PMI prefer that they can all hibernate indefinitely.

Given the rapid nature of the creatures life cycle, it seems likely to me that wouldn't be the case. There's just no way to know, though. Their compunction to be as tenacious and so focused on reproduction seems to suggest the opposite. Especially wherein the facehugger is concerned. "I dropped my load, now i'm dead."

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Fair enough. I just think if you can simply wait them out then it becomes a simpler matter.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

True, but having a finite lifespan for the adults doesn't inherently mean it's one you can reasonably wait out. If their shelf life is, say, 15 years, you're not making it to the end of that.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 14, 2022, 12:36:28 PMFair enough. I just think if you can simply wait them out then it becomes a simpler matter.

Depends on the circumstances. In Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, there was no "waiting them out." They were coming to get you one way or the other.

Stitch

Stitch

The simplest answer from a non universe perspective is: as long as they need to for the narrative.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 08, 2022, 07:19:19 PMI prefer that they can all hibernate indefinitely.

Then what happened to the one that burst from the Space Jockey?  Was it just hibernating somewhere on the Derelict while the Nostromo crew was poking around?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yes actually, my silly head canon has always been that it was the Queen we see in Aliens, just chilling down there.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 14, 2022, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Sep 14, 2022, 12:36:28 PMFair enough. I just think if you can simply wait them out then it becomes a simpler matter.

Depends on the circumstances. In Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, there was no "waiting them out." They were coming to get you one way or the other.

In Aliens they definitely could have, if the plot did not require the comedic set up of leaving no one onboard the Sulaco.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed