The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms)

Started by RagingDragon, Apr 30, 2014, 05:24:22 AM

What is your favorite type of strategy game?

Real-Time Strategy/Tactics (Starcraft, Age of Empires, Command & Conquer)
13 (54.2%)
Turn-Based Strategy/Tactics (Age of Wonders, X-COM, Heros of Might and Magic)
3 (12.5%)
4X (Civilzation, Master of Orion)
1 (4.2%)
Tactical Roleplaying (Final Fantasy Tactics)
1 (4.2%)
City Building, Economics, Management (SimCity, Ceasar, Anno, Tropico, Rollercoaster Tycoon)
0 (0%)
Real-Time/Turn-Based Hybrid (Total War, Sins of a Solar Empire)
3 (12.5%)
Wargames/Grand Strategy (Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis)
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author
The Strategy Game Thread (All Platforms) (Read 16,862 times)

Rong

yep played it, Beyond earth is apparently the spiritual successor to that game.

Another game i play when i get the opportunity is FTL .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4imWvoqxmc#ws

RagingDragon

Aw man, LOVE FTL! Just came out with their free expansion too, supposed to add a lot more ships and such.

A super fun sci-fi Roguelike. One-of-a-kind.

Rong

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 30, 2014, 10:15:11 PM
Aw man, LOVE FTL! Just came out with their free expansion too, supposed to add a lot more ships and such.

A super fun sci-fi Roguelike. One-of-a-kind.

DAMN STRAIGHT

Got it on my ipad so i take that f**ker everywhere much to my wife's distain, yeah the advanced version is bossssssss as fuaarrrrrkkk!!!

worst part is i can throw the ipad when i get owned the ai is motherf**ker, and the randomisation in that game too hard to predict. nearly unlocked all the ships on medium, haven't even tried hard!!

MFW WHEN HARD MODE

RagingDragon

Hayell naw, only been able to get to Sector 8 on easy mode lol. Random is too random, but sometimes you get the hook-up!

Some ships you have to fight, you can't even get through their shields long enough to do damage.

What are your favorite weapon set ups? I like the burst lasers, and usually try and time the missiles to knock out shields and weapons with a missile before laser volleys.

Just recently started getting into the drone modules as well. The boarding drone is fun as f**k lol. Nuke their life support then send the boarding drone terminator to wreak havoc. That's a good time. :laugh:

Rong

Rong

Quote from: RagingDragon on Apr 30, 2014, 11:58:39 PM
Hayell naw, only been able to get to Sector 8 on easy mode lol. Random is too random, but sometimes you get the hook-up!

Some ships you have to fight, you can't even get through their shields long enough to do damage.

What are your favorite weapon set ups? I like the burst lasers, and usually try and time the missiles to knock out shields and weapons with a missile before laser volleys.

Just recently started getting into the drone modules as well. The boarding drone is fun as f**k lol. Nuke their life support then send the boarding drone terminator to wreak havoc. That's a good time. :laugh:

Ion cannon, especially the chain ion cannon disable systems starting with shields ( works particularly well on ships with the shield drone) then take out weapons compartment, use them in unison with with attack drones (preferably full 2 attack version 2 drones and one version one ) takes out a sector 8 rebel ship in about 30 seconds f**kers don't know what hits them

MFW

Nightmare Asylum

The only strategy game I ever really played was Halo Wars, which I love, but it is obviously very simplified in comparison to most "real" RTSs.

I'd love to try some more complex strategy games when I finally get the time. It's something that has always interested me that I just never got around to doing.

Any recommendations? Starcraft is definitely on my list, but I'd love to give something with a bit of a historic and/or fantasy style a go as well.

SM

I liked Battle For Middle Earth, but it was restrictive in terms of where you could build stuff and lacked a mode where you could begin as a particular faction and then take over every other country in Middle Earth.

RagingDragon

Starcraft is a very fun mechanics-heavy Real Time Strategy. The universe is basically a clever rip-off/combo of many beloved sci-fi franchises, and the tech trees and gameplay aren't very hard to learn, just hard to master.

The competitive scene is also thriving, and the custom maps are incredible though they kind of struggle along compared to how dominant they were with Brood War. Some of the Arcade (custom) maps made by regular folks are my all-time favorites. It's a nice break if you get tired of the constant multiplayer ladder play.

Starcraft 2's campaign is also excellent, though the biggest gripe a lot of people have is that it has a lot of units and tech that isn't in the multiplayer. In spite of this, the multi has plenty of things to help you learn how to play at a solid, competitive level, and the league system is fairly solid.

---

For historical, you can't go wrong with Medieval 2. In my and many others opinions, it's the absolute best of the Total War series. New enough for decent graphics and old enough not to suffer from the dumbing-down and stripping of some of the newer entries in the series (cough Rome 2 cough.)

Strategy games have a long and colorful history, so if you're willing to play older games, there's an entire library of excellent titles, real-time and turn-based. A lot of the better fantasy games are older, like Warcraft 2, Age of Wonders, Myth: The Fallen Lords, etc...

The Civilization games are, of course, legendary themselves, but they have a bigger scope and lack real-time tactical combat.

Nightmare Asylum

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm a bit down on my luck with computers at the moment (laptop is basically unusable), but I plan on building a PC this summer. Doing it primarily for video stuff, but it wouldn't hurt to grab a few games :)

Rong

Rong

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 01, 2014, 03:13:40 AM

For historical, you can't go wrong with Medieval 2. In my and many others opinions, it's the absolute best of the Total War series. New enough for decent graphics and old enough not to suffer from the dumbing-down and stripping of some of the newer entries in the series (cough Rome 2 cough.)

This i played rome 2 on a mates super spec'd pc, i didn't like what they did to it, apparently shogun 2 was pretty good, and Empire is a buggy mess.

I like the 4x games due to them being like a turn based but having a real time element...

RTS especially ones like starcraft tend to turn into a button clicking contest, and the older i get the slower i get at button clicking. have to rely on strings and macros to mask my button clicking slowness, turn based is more about strategy in my eyes thats what makes the civ games so good.

Cal427eb

I still have Rome Total War and it's expansion pack on my Steam account and I play it every once in a while.

RagingDragon

Quote from: Cal427eb on May 01, 2014, 03:50:44 AM
I still have Rome Total War and it's expansion pack on my Steam account and I play it every once in a while.

Original Rome was money. Still one of the best.

I've read and watched so many horror stories about Rome 2, I can't believe people even play it. The campaign map is supposed to be pretty streamlined, and the graphics are decent, but the AI is f**king horrible, they lack a lot of the best systems like heirs, family members, seasons, and any real diplomacy, and a lot of the game simply didn't improve from older titles or removed features for whatever reason.

Tactical combat also doesn't have things like guard mode and the formations break down into blobs of units instead of formations. Killmoves are wacked out, sieges are still broken, etc etc... Does not sound good.

I heard the shit started rolling down the hill after Empire, which pissed off a lot of people.

Crazy Rich

I remember DUNE 2000 when I was a kid/early teen. I served House Atreides well by leading vast armies and defeating the Harkonnen and the Ordos for control of Arrakis.

I've played other game's like EndWar and RUSE.

Cal427eb

Empire at War went on sale today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/32470/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed