Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jan 18, 2017, 02:24:53 PM

Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters?

Yes
No
Author
Would you see Alien 3 the Assembly Cut in theaters? (Read 15,053 times)

PsyKore

I already saw Alien 3 in the cinema when it was released and I loved it. I'd definitely see a remastered version though - it's been one of my long-time yearnings to see Fox fix up the effects.

windebieste

windebieste

Ah!  You just reminded me, I still have my 'ALIEN 3' movie ticket for the opening night in Melbourne.  I should dig it up.  I'm sure I've taken a photo of it.  It's here somewhere...

[EDiT] Yep.  Here it is:

No, SM.  You can't have this.   :P

-Windebieste.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 18, 2017, 11:33:19 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 18, 2017, 11:10:14 PM
I'd see this rambling mess in a theatre if someone comped me some tickets.

Are you ready to concede that the assembly cut is a far superior movie?

Depends on what you're comparing it to.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 01:32:26 AM

The theatrical version.

BishopShouldGo

The Assembly Cut has a bunch of superfluous scenes. I enjoy it because I get to spend more time with Clemens but the theatrical version is tighter and better. I get a lot of deja vu while viewing Alien 3 AC

windebieste

The AC fills in a lot of character details, gives you an opportunity to gain some exposure to the relationships between the prisoners and understand them better.  It removes the super cheesy Queen burst reveal.  This is all good content.  The ox's dragging the EEV up the beach is a great scene.  All the dialogue that has been returned to the BluRay version is terrific.  There's so many good things that were omitted from the theatrical cut that should have been in there. 

I'll tell you what a superfluous scene is.  The last 10 minutes of 'ALIENS'.  The movie should end at the point that Ripley, Newt and Bishop disembark from the dropship.  The whole climactic Queen fight inerrupts the narrative that is being propelled at that point (no one as actually adequately explained how something the size of an elephant can hide amongst the vehicle's landing gear and not set off the warning lights in the cockpit.... really?) 

So yeah, the movie shouldn't have the Queen aboard the Sulaco.  It's a superflous scene (oh, it's a great one!  I'll grant that) but completely unnecessary.  You can watch the movie without that scene present and the ending is the same.  Except Bishop is torn in half.  Well, if Bishop had been human that might have been meaningful but Bishop isn't - so there's no change made by the time the credits role.  All 3 characters get away regardless of the Queen's presence or not.

Is the Queen Boss fight at the end of 'ALIENS' a superficial scene?  Absolutely!  By any reasoning you apply to it, it doesn't change the outcome of the movie if it is present or not.  Ripley, Newt and Bishop still get away from LV-426.  Which is what the movie is ultimately all about -their survival and escape.  By the time they reach the Sulaco, the movie is over.  No Queen fight needed.  Superficial to the nth degree. 

-Windebieste.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 19, 2017, 02:18:11 AM

I'll tell you what a superfluous scene is.  The last 10 minutes of 'ALIENS'.  The movie should end at the point that Ripley, Newt and Bishop disembark from the dropship.  The whole climactic Queen fight inerrupts the narrative that is being propelled at that point (no one as actually adequately explained how something the size of an elephant can hide amongst the vehicle's landing gear and not set off the warning lights in the cockpit.... really?) 

So yeah, the movie shouldn't have the Queen aboard the Sulaco.  It's a superflous scene (oh, it's a great one!  I'll grant that) but completely unnecessary.  You can watch the movie without that scene present and the ending is the same.  Except Bishop is torn in half.  Well, if Bishop had been human that might have been meaningful but Bishop isn't - so there's no change made by the time the credits role.  All 3 characters get away regardless of the Queen's presence or not.

Is the Queen Boss fight at the end of 'ALIENS' a superficial scene?  Absolutely!  By any reasoning you apply to it, it doesn't change the outcome of the movie if it is present or not.  Ripley, Newt and Bishop still get away from LV-426.  Which is what the movie is ultimately all about -their survival and escape.  By the time they reach the Sulaco, the movie is over.  No Queen fight needed.  Superficial to the nth degree. 

-Windebieste.
You could use the same logic for the alien in the Narcissus though.

I mean aliens was intentially hitting the same plot beats as alien anyway (brilliantly done imo) so I guess it made sense to have a false moment of safety and final encounter/fight at the end.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 19, 2017, 01:33:20 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 19, 2017, 01:32:26 AM

The theatrical version.

No.

Xenomrph

I definitely would love to see Alien3 (either version) in theatres.

StrangeShape

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 19, 2017, 01:29:01 AM
Ah!  You just reminded me, I still have my 'ALIEN 3' movie ticket for the opening night in Melbourne.  I should dig it up.  I'm sure I've taken a photo of it.  It's here somewhere...

[EDiT] Yep.  Here it is:

No, SM.  You can't have this.   :P

-Windebieste.

Nice. I love Alien 3 like crazy, but my favorite version would be a fusion of both AC and TC. But if I really had to chose, its theatrical cut for me for many reasons. And its the only movie Ive ever seen where I prefer the theatrical cut over extended or directors cut

OpenMaw

There's a better version of the movie between the two cuts.

I'd restore a lot of the character stuff in the AC, but i'd keep the dog burster, and i'd definitely use the queen burster from the TC. The effect falling into the fire just looks way way better. The AC looks like some kind of a high quality animatic for what the final shot was supposed to be.

Also i'd somehow want to try and fix the opening. I'm not entirely sure how or what could be done to fix it, though.

SM

Most of the character stuff in the first half is a waste of time.  You get extra time with Boggs, Rains, Golic, Frank and Murphy.  All of whom are dead by the end of the first half or just after.  Would've been better off beefing up Morse, David, Kevin, Gregor, etc so we might give a shit at the end.

TC cut too much; AC didn't cut enough (obviously).

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 19, 2017, 03:56:14 AM
Also i'd somehow want to try and fix the opening. I'm not entirely sure how or what could be done to fix it, though.

Edit the egg out of it.

Xenomrph

There's a better version of the movie between the two cuts.

I'd restore a lot of the character stuff in the AC, but i'd keep the dog burster, and i'd definitely use the queen burster from the TC. The effect falling into the fire just looks way way better. The AC looks like some kind of a high quality animatic for what the final shot was supposed to be.
I definitely agree with all of this. Use the opening and crash from the TC, the dog burster and Ripley's death from the TC, and everything else from the AC.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 19, 2017, 04:09:01 AM

Edit the egg out of it.

CG it so it's panning across the dropship landing gear well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed