*Video* Angry Joe's Aliens Vs Predator Review

Started by AngryJoeShow, Feb 19, 2010, 11:09:52 PM

Author
*Video* Angry Joe's Aliens Vs Predator Review (Read 17,234 times)

skull-splitter

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 19, 2010, 11:31:34 PM
Quote from: Huol on Feb 19, 2010, 11:29:27 PM
Why would you want Iron sights in this game?

They'd be useless.

I don't understand why people obsess over this.

Because the games they play evolved, AvP just didn't (at least, this time around)

xUSMCx

Shave your mustache off.

It's creepy.

MadassAlex

Quote from: skull-splitter on Feb 20, 2010, 10:39:55 AM
Because the games they play evolved, AvP just didn't (at least, this time around)

Ironsights are by no means an evolution. Sniper weapons have had them since the 90s. The only difference was making such a mechanic common to more weapons, which is great for wargames, but entirely unnecessary for AvP. Bioshock, for instance, only allowed you to sight a couple of weapons and even then I can count the amount of times I did that on one hand.

Huol

Quote from: Elude on Feb 20, 2010, 09:25:17 AM
Quote from: hardwired on Feb 20, 2010, 12:45:43 AM

They'd be useless.

Bullshit. Sorry, but thats absolutly nonsense. I have to say that, without the intention to afront you or anybody else.

Any kind of action to increase the accuracy would be definitly usefull, specially on larger maps, where you dont have to worry that 10 enemys are permanently around you or you got mates, that protect you, if you are soooo afraid to get killed by using it (people who want something like that usually arent).

No matter, if ironsight or another action, like hold the gun a bit higher and move (and aim) less fast but you can shoot more precise, it would expand the gameplay (like ravenshield maybe?  ???).
At least it would be good, if it would make a difference if you walk or crouch, to increase the accuracy (with a changing crosshair, like in the AJL-Mod for AVP2). And there are many more reason crouch would be pretty good for rine or predator, it can even safe your life (specially if you or your enemy are on different levels of the map), besides you are a smaller target (i recognized that at least in AVP too).

The firing out of the hip is a relict of movies from the eightys and arcady videogames.
In Aliens it would still make sense, cause the aliens were allready pretty near, as the rines started firing.
But its ridicilious, that a trained marine cant fully use a assault rife.
Overall you can have different opinions, if AVP should be more based on arcady games or reality (i mean the real reality or the one from modern movies  ;D).
But there is definitly room for a more complex marinegameplay, so crouch is still essential and more then one accuracylevel would be a improvement, like the sprintkey.
After all i would be happy with a compromise, so you primary use firing from the hip in melee or if the enemys is not very distant.

You specially recognize the limitations from the rines, if you fight other rines (something i liked in AVP2 AJL).
Its a waste of potential and the game would still be far from being an "simulator".

[I dont play COD, Halo and Gears only sometimes.]

BTW: I still have to wait a little bit for my copy, but i would like to see videos from other (bigger) maps , specially one in the AVP-Movie-pyramid. Can someone help me?

Now a crouch would most definitly be atleast somewhat useful, atleast as useful if not more then a jump, which as of right now isnt that useful lol.

I dunno about crouch in MP (though I wouldn't say no)

However I was practically begging for it in singleplayer what with the synthetics all over the place.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 20, 2010, 10:51:37 AM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Feb 20, 2010, 10:39:55 AM

Ironsights are by no means an evolution. Sniper weapons have had them since the 90s. The only difference was making such a mechanic common to more weapons, which is great for wargames, but entirely unnecessary for AvP. Bioshock, for instance, only allowed you to sight a couple of weapons and even then I can count the amount of times I did that on one hand.

Face it, it could've been easily implemented, but Rebellion opted for a remake of their original in ALL aspects... Which is it's main issue: it's not 2010-enough.

As for the review: stand alone story-lines? Really? Make seperate games. Part of the appeal is that it IS a interweaved story (And frankly, Monolith did a better job at it too).

Edit:
just got to the bit he was practically asking for Kenner-skins... I mean, what the hell... He just doesn't get it... Though he has a point: Rebellion seems stuck in 1999... (as do most fans)

Fujimaster

Quote from: Huol on Feb 20, 2010, 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: Elude on Feb 20, 2010, 09:25:17 AM
Quote from: hardwired on Feb 20, 2010, 12:45:43 AM

They'd be useless.

Bullshit. Sorry, but thats absolutly nonsense. I have to say that, without the intention to afront you or anybody else.

Any kind of action to increase the accuracy would be definitly usefull, specially on larger maps, where you dont have to worry that 10 enemys are permanently around you or you got mates, that protect you, if you are soooo afraid to get killed by using it (people who want something like that usually arent).

No matter, if ironsight or another action, like hold the gun a bit higher and move (and aim) less fast but you can shoot more precise, it would expand the gameplay (like ravenshield maybe?  ???).
At least it would be good, if it would make a difference if you walk or crouch, to increase the accuracy (with a changing crosshair, like in the AJL-Mod for AVP2). And there are many more reason crouch would be pretty good for rine or predator, it can even safe your life (specially if you or your enemy are on different levels of the map), besides you are a smaller target (i recognized that at least in AVP too).

The firing out of the hip is a relict of movies from the eightys and arcady videogames.
In Aliens it would still make sense, cause the aliens were allready pretty near, as the rines started firing.
But its ridicilious, that a trained marine cant fully use a assault rife.
Overall you can have different opinions, if AVP should be more based on arcady games or reality (i mean the real reality or the one from modern movies  ;D).
But there is definitly room for a more complex marinegameplay, so crouch is still essential and more then one accuracylevel would be a improvement, like the sprintkey.
After all i would be happy with a compromise, so you primary use firing from the hip in melee or if the enemys is not very distant.

You specially recognize the limitations from the rines, if you fight other rines (something i liked in AVP2 AJL).
Its a waste of potential and the game would still be far from being an "simulator".

[I dont play COD, Halo and Gears only sometimes.]

BTW: I still have to wait a little bit for my copy, but i would like to see videos from other (bigger) maps , specially one in the AVP-Movie-pyramid. Can someone help me?

Now a crouch would most definitly be atleast somewhat useful, atleast as useful if not more then a jump, which as of right now isnt that useful lol.

I dunno about crouch in MP (though I wouldn't say no)

However I was practically begging for it in singleplayer what with the synthetics all over the place.

Totally true. The other things I was bummed about when I heard of no crouch was "Oh no! No awesome air vent battles". That bummed me cause it was pretty good in the other games. With the Alien mechanics in this game it could have been very cool. YOU ALWAYS WERE AN A$$HOLE GORMAN!!

VEF214

I agree 100% with one of the things you said Joe. Rebellion got off lucky this time around. They came back around and basically let the AvP universe and all that is iconic to it carry the game. If they do make a sequel, they need to do some serious work. If the sequel is similar to the first game, it will fail.

heady89

Quote from: Huol on Feb 19, 2010, 11:32:47 PM
Pulse rifles dont even have iron sights, the marines fire from the hip.

That would make the weapon useless from 30+ meters away if we're gonna think in realistic manner. Having shot weapons hip fire , something you never do in combat unless it's panic shot at close distance aka Hunter-Shot.. also you almost never use Full-auto in real life since it's extremely inaccurate(assault rifles).

Sure its not real life and it's sci fic, doesn't mean it can have some believable features.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Huol on Feb 19, 2010, 11:32:47 PM
Pulse rifles dont even have iron sights, the marines fire from the hip.

They did, but there is this central groove on the PR that is the Iron Sights. Do your homework.

MadassAlex

Quote from: skull-splitter on Feb 20, 2010, 11:03:16 AM
Face it, it could've been easily implemented, but Rebellion opted for a remake of their original in ALL aspects... Which is it's main issue: it's not 2010-enough.

It could've been easily implemented, but that doesn't mean it should be implemented. The game is essentially about close-quarters encounters and there's literally one moment in the campaign where ironsights would've been useful. As for multiplayer, they'd be useless. You'd be surprised how accurate the pulse rifle is if you burst fire.

In terms of mechanics, I believe people are focusing way too much on what it leaves out and are ignoring on what it's putting in or reintroducing. No ironsights? Big whoop, that's one mechanic designed for games based on open warfare. This game introduces solid melee combat into the first-person shooter genre, not to mention it uses two different sets of stealth mechanics.

This is absolutely incredible pedantism. One popular FPS mechanic is gone and the game is suddenly outdated? If anything, the flexibility of AvP's gameplay and the depth of its atmosphere is by and large a step ahead of anything else out there. The lack of ironsights is just one element of a cohesive whole that aims to be something very different from any other game out there and this is largely a successful effort. Claiming that any one mechanic is integral to a game for it to be modern and competitive with other titles is just narrow-minded at best. Two excellent Valve titles, for instance, get away with being very different: Team Fortress 2 is old-school FPS action at its finest, and Portal doesn't even have any true weapons, instead forcing you to solve both puzzles and combat situations using a device that displaces objects. Neither ever get criticised for this.

AvP can't be judged based on the norms of its peers. The game has its own shortcomings, but they have absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay design.

Could've used a crouch function in SP, though.

stemot

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 20, 2010, 01:12:00 PM
I agree 100% with one of the things you said Joe. Rebellion got off lucky this time around. They came back around and basically let the AvP universe and all that is iconic to it carry the game. If they do make a sequel, they need to do some serious work. If the sequel is similar to the first game, it will fail.

That's just wrong. Sure the game is missing a crouch function that bar the final level of single player would have been redundant and an iron sights option that isn't needed, but apart from that the game gets a lot of things right such as the focus modes and melee combat, not to mention the incredible detail put into things like the Predator vision modes, or the functioning ammo counters on the marines gun models and my favourite, being able to hear the motion tracker of a marine NPC as you move around him. If it had been left to the AvP universe to carry the title then it would have ended up like the game equivalent of AvP-R. As it stands it's mechanics it puts in place work well and if your an AvP fan you'll appreciate the little details Rebellion have put in even more.

VEF214

Quote from: stemot on Feb 20, 2010, 02:10:50 PM

That's just wrong. Sure the game is missing a crouch function that bar the final level of single player would have been redundant and an iron sights option that isn't needed, but apart from that the game gets a lot of things right such as the focus modes and melee combat, not to mention the incredible detail put into things like the Predator vision modes, or the functioning ammo counters on the marines gun models and my favourite, being able to hear the motion tracker of a marine NPC as you move around him. If it had been left to the AvP universe to carry the title then it would have ended up like the game equivalent of AvP-R. As it stands it's mechanics it puts in place work well and if your an AvP fan you'll appreciate the little details Rebellion have put in even more.

AvP games =/= movies

Porkus Maximus

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 20, 2010, 06:46:41 AM
Everyone just want all games to be like CoD. Don't get me wrong, I love Call of Duty, but it isn't the be-all and end-all for first person shooters.

If I read this kind of comment ONE MORE TME I'm going to smack a bitch. 

stemot

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 20, 2010, 02:18:01 PM

AvP games =/= movies

Hang on, I just read a post from you yesterday saying you don't have the game yet, did you get it today or are you actually offering an opinion on a game you have only played the demo of?

VEF214

Quote from: stemot on Feb 20, 2010, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 20, 2010, 02:18:01 PM

AvP games =/= movies

Hang on, I just read a post from you yesterday saying you don't have the game yet, did you get it today or are you actually offering an opinion on a game you have only played the demo of?

Remove all elements that make this an AvP and replace them with generic elements, generic marines, generic monsters, etc.. Now do you know what I'm talking about?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed