Jonesy: Nine Lives On The Nostromo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:31:12 PM

Author
Jonesy: Nine Lives On The Nostromo (Read 9,271 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: krikke on Oct 17, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
Anybody else notice that it all seems a bit ripped off from Anne Bilson's short story, "My Day by Jones"?
I'm not familiar with that, what is it?

Nostromo

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 17, 2018, 11:38:27 PM
Quote from: krikke on Oct 17, 2018, 09:19:40 PM
Anybody else notice that it all seems a bit ripped off from Anne Bilson's short story, "My Day by Jones"?
I'm not familiar with that, what is it?

Check out this book on Goodreads: My Day by Jones: the Cat's-Eye View of Alien http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/14287768-my-day-by-jones

Corporal Hicks

I haven't read the My Day so I can't really comment on that but I did receive and read this yesterday. I've been feeling somewhat low and upset over the last few days due to the real world and this thing just lifted my spirits for a bit. Such a charming read and very well illustrated!

I love that we're getting lighter hearted things like this and Alien Next Door.

HuDaFuK

Does make me laugh that this kind of thing is coming out now and no one bats an eyelid, when back in '79 there was uproar that they made stuff for youngsters based on an R-rated horror film.

Xenomrph

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 18, 2018, 11:36:40 AM
Does make me laugh that this kind of thing is coming out now and no one bats an eyelid, when back in '79 there was uproar that they made stuff for youngsters based on an R-rated horror film.
To be fair, I don't think this is "for" kids, any more so than the "children's" book 'Go The f**k to Sleep'. Like, this is ostensibly aimed at adult fans of the franchise, but what makes it novel and entertaining is the unique tone and presentation. The toys in 1979 set off alarm bells because they were genuinely, earnestly marketed at children.

Kane's other son

I've started thinking that these cutesy books and the oversaturation of Alien merchandising are lessening the impact of the beast and have turned the series into a joke.
It's difficult to take the alien seriously when there are a million toys, books and now funny books out there. There is no mystique left. It can't scare you. The beast is cooked.

HuDaFuK

There have been a million toys, books and funny books (some of the comics definitely quality, plus there was Cyberantics) for years. Didn't stop Isolation being the best, most terrifying thing to come out of the franchise for decades.

SM

SM

Kids toys came out with the first film.

Plush facehuggers didn't stop Covenant being a violent monster movie.

SiL

SiL

And I have one of the glow-in-the-dark bastards next to my TV to prove it (thanks, Windebieste!)

Kane's other son

Plush facehuggers didn't stop Covenant from being a violent monster movie but I could argue that they stopped it from being a monster hit.

HuDaFuK

The only thing that stopped Covenant being a monster hit was Covenant (or perhaps Ridley Scott if you're being vindictive).

It certainly wasn't received the way it was because there were some toys once.

Kane's other son

The opening weekend was underwhelming, meaning that a lot of people just didn't care for a new Alien movie, no matter how good it was or wasn't. I believe that one reason is that the beast is on a million T-shirts and toys and it's no longer shrouded in mystery.

SiL

SiL

It hasn't been shrouded in mystery since 1979. It was on toys (Ages six and up! Glows in the dark!), shirts, halloween costumes, video games, etc. basically since the beginning. The franchise is known for being one of the first R-rated movies to have such a merchandising tie-in.

SM

SM

Quote from: Kane's other son on Oct 19, 2018, 08:59:32 AM
Plush facehuggers didn't stop Covenant from being a violent monster movie but I could argue that they stopped it from being a monster hit.

Plush facehuggers had no affect on Covenant whatsoever.

SiL

SiL

I have a plush facehugger.

Not the reason I dislike Covenant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed