Meet Walter - 10th March - New Viral

Started by Anthony, Mar 08, 2017, 07:03:03 PM

Author
Meet Walter - 10th March - New Viral (Read 69,454 times)

Xenomorphine

What internal organs and brain? There's nothing in there. It's a hollow construct. :-\

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 11, 2017, 04:32:04 PM
How come? The demise of Pan-Am and Atari didn't screw up 2001 or Blade Runner.

Continuity-wise, it tends to date a film in ways a fictional company name wouldn't. Especially if it's meant to be portraying a plausible future.

Predaker

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 10, 2017, 11:54:27 PM
I really do hate AMD being referenced in this. The moment that company ceases to exist or gets a change of brand name after merging with another, it's permanently screwed up.

Hopefully it won't be in the film itself, so it could end up like some of that ridiculous info they put out on the weyland website before Prometheus.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 11, 2017, 07:34:41 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 11, 2017, 04:32:04 PM
How come? The demise of Pan-Am and Atari didn't screw up 2001 or Blade Runner.

Continuity-wise, it tends to date a film in ways a fictional company name wouldn't. Especially if it's meant to be portraying a plausible future.

I don't think it'll be in the film itself. Pretty sure it's just marketing fun.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: echobbase79 on Mar 11, 2017, 06:07:14 AM
Thanks sal.  :) I was getting ready to look at it.

If you didn't want to know then why ask me?? ???

echobbase79

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Mar 12, 2017, 12:05:36 AM

I didn't know it involved a big spoiler when I asked my original question. Don't take it personally. I didn't mean anything by it.

Pvt. Himmel

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: echobbase79 on Mar 12, 2017, 01:29:23 AM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Mar 12, 2017, 12:05:36 AM

I didn't know it involved a big spoiler when I asked my original question. Don't take it personally. I didn't mean anything by it.

I know you didn't, buddy. 8)

acrediblesource

So...they have a replica of the head. Foresight into the plot anyone? If it took 10 years for them to get to AC, then when did they manage to acquire the engineer head information or even make a replica?
And this being seen, means that Walter's intentions are clearly to meet them.

Rafael S.

Maybe the recordings from the helmets of the Prometheus crew were sent to high CEO´s of the company. They know about the engineers, Peter Weyland´s fate and just about everything that happened in LV-223, and now they are up to finish –or perhaps, amplify– what their contemporaries did.

cliffhanger

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: acrediblesource on Mar 12, 2017, 02:21:53 AM
So...they have a replica of the head. Foresight into the plot anyone? If it took 10 years for them to get to AC, then when did they manage to acquire the engineer head information or even make a replica?
And this being seen, means that Walter's intentions are clearly to meet them.

I don't think it's intended to be an Engineer head per se. Just a bit of a fun along the same themes and visuals.

Pvt. Himmel

QuoteWhen Zack [Eller of Fox] and Chris [Eyerman of 3AM] and the team came to us with the opportunity, this one struck a chord," explains Karl Stewart, President of 48 Communications. "Because it allowed us to show AMD not only in the right light, with machine intelligence and artificial intelligence, but it's an elevated story that allows us to show AMD both through the fictional use of where AI could be, as well as the application of real-world-today technology in application and other facets. It wasn't just 'let's put a logo on an android,' it's the full 360."

The idea for the film quickly centered on the character of Walter, and on creating an in-world advertisement that would show how the AI technology in the Alien universe might be marketed to people looking for a possibly-evil sidekick.

Once the brief made its way to Scott, he set about refining the idea, aware that he wasn't just creating a piece of branded content—he was also expanding the very nature of the Alien franchise by showing fans, for the first time, how the synthetics are made. "I took a lot of reference in the bio-medical world about 3D printing limbs and organs, going down to the molecular level about how Walter is produced from a genetic level and grown traditionally in an artificial womb, or is he—is it—created as an adult version, and then the information is implanted via the AMD chip?" Scott says. "We decided he was an adult, and 3D printed an exo-skeleton. There was a desire to put red and fleshy stuff in there, and we said, 'No, no, no,' to the designer. 'You can't do that.' This goes back to 1979 and Ash, he was all white liquid and weird organic milky fluid. So we had to take the technology out of it."

Of course, when you start playing with an in-world concept in the Alien universe, you have to accept that you're operating in a dystopia. It's a franchise that means a lot to people in part because it's bleak, things aren't what they seem, and people (artificial or otherwise) tend to have a hidden agenda.

"A lot of times, science fiction makes 100 years from now unrecognizable. You don't even recognize the world that you're living in anymore." says Zachary Eller, 20th Century Fox's senior vice president of marketing partnerships. "What's so cool about the Alien universe is that it's the future, yes, but it's still very much our world. So having AMD build the chips for a Weyland-Yutani android is not an unreasonable thing that could happen. That's why it all makes sense—it's not just to shove a product placement in something, it's to root fantasy in reality and create a real world where people say, 'This could actually happen.'"   

https://www.fastcocreate.com/3068919/inside-amds-partnership-with-alien-covenant-and-the-dark-dichotomy-of-ai 

BonesawT101

Nice find. Thanks Himmel. I really like this short and looking forward to more of this kind of thing.

PsyKore

It's like one of those European car ad's, only for an android. Pretty cool.

Pvt. Himmel

Anytime. 8)

Huggs

Huggs

Well Filmed. The simplicity of the construction felt a bit odd. Instant android, just add....some liquid to a frame? The skin tissue I could see, but hair growth is a bit hard to buy. I take it that was David giving the "learn from me" speech after the trailer was over? Feels too ominous to be Walter. Feels like something David is saying to Shaw or a member of the Covenant, and it's been cut and reworked to seem like Walter.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed