Press Event Previews (New screenshots, videos and more)

Started by ikarop, Apr 04, 2012, 08:56:36 AM

Author
Press Event Previews (New screenshots, videos and more) (Read 69,544 times)

chupacabras acheronsis

i'd fix the shape of the back spines myself. they need to be bendy, not straight. the position isn't right but i'll let it pass because it does good to the stature and it facilitates the position of the head when crawling.

RagingDragon

Interesting, Le Celticant, maybe GBX made them a bit smaller on purpose to help make them harder to hit.

Probably not, but it's a remote possibility. :laugh:  Personally I find it scarier, since they can still jump on you and rape you to death.  Spike seemed a bit smaller in A3, maybe it's just me, or the lack of dorsal tubes.  I remember the runner in AvP2 was small, so was the warrior, but he stood up like a human and had a cool running animation.

I remember the runners were so damned small, and could do the old superman across open levels.  Used to get so many kills as the runner.  Mmm...

Le Celticant

Yup RagingDragon, that's what I wondered at least. Runner was really small on fours legs indeed  ;D
Also it is not clear but for example the warrior in AVP2 is much taller than a human (if you compare both .abc models from source files you can see that the Alien has at last 30 to 40cm) but weirdly in POV vision of the game it makes you feel that Aliens were small and even sometimes smaller than you. It's an interesting trick to mention.
Even by making alien as accurate to the movies they will seems small due to the POV but they'll cover in the same time a larger area and be easier to shoot.

chupacabras acheronsis

once again, pose is everything.

i always wondered why no modder tried to correct the pose or make animations similar to the ones in AvP '99. it seems like a logical thing to do.

CyberDemon13

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 06, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
Quote from: HicksUSCM on Apr 06, 2012, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: CyberDemon13 on Apr 06, 2012, 05:48:45 PM
It's not...
Actually it is.

It's very obviously a posed shot. It's not literally gameplay in that shot. In game assets, in game environment, posed shot.

Whoops! My comment was a bit late lol. I was saying that the xenos are not actually smaller than the humans, it was a reply to  Spoon who was saying that they were... which, as I said, they are not haha. :laugh:

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 06, 2012, 04:28:19 PM
Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Apr 06, 2012, 11:08:46 AMYou do know that the guy with the smart gun is not standing up straight right?
Neither is the Alien... they both have bent knees.

If the humans can weld doors in MP, will the aliens be able to tear through "inches of reinforced steel?" Or maybe use their heads as battering rams to break them down?

Also like to say that the Marine in that pic is O'Neil who is clearly bigger than the other Marines. He is a big guy.

CyberDemon13

CyberDemon13

Quote from: Bio Mech Hunter on Apr 06, 2012, 10:18:06 PM
Quote from: PVTDukeMorrison on Apr 06, 2012, 04:35:07 AM
Quote from: Bio Mech Hunter on Apr 05, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
It's looking good, but the Pulse Rifle and Smart Gun sfx are wrong and need to be fixed. They sound terrible.

We also now have undeniable proof the Alien Warriors are indeed... wait for it... TOO SMALL. AGAIN. >:( I'd like to take this moment and just say, TOLD YOU SO. :P

What happened to GB's commitment to making A:CM an authentic Aliens experience? The sfx are jacked and, yet again, the Aliens are stunted cannon fodder. ???

Other than that, the gfx look superb and I'm digging the game-play mechanics.

I can let the Smart Gun's targeting system slide as keeping it canonically accurate would render it useless (the targeting system - not the weapon itself). Since it tracks heat signatures and Aliens don't give off heat, you'd be at a big disadvantage lugging that big thing around with quick and nimble Aliens hunting you.

That size looks about right to me, and as for the Alien being CF, it looks like when online they can kill you in up to 2 hits.
It's hard to tell in that pic 'cause you can't see either of their feet placement and the Marine is not standing up straight. It might be a perspective issue in that pic, but if you watch the recent multi-player footage, you see the Warriors are definitely too thin and too short. Not enough height, and not enough mass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkAKknz-F8#ws

Everybody pause this video at 0:15. I rest my case lol.
Seriously though, look at where the xeno's head lines up with the marine's, they are about even. Now factor in that 1. it is clearly farther back in the depth of field than your marine buddy, and 2. it is severely hunched over. I'd imagine it would tower over the marine if it were on the same plane as him and standing up perfectly straight. :)

EDIT: So, I uh... just realized that the xeno is, uh... standing on something. Haha... yeah. :'(
Although, I still think it's got a nice height advantage over the marine, even if it isn't as substantial as I first thought lol. Sorry aboot that guys! No harm no foul? ;)

9th_Stew

do you think we can see the character models holding up a tracker when its being used or will it be a static marine with his gun out still..??

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 07, 2012, 03:22:42 AM
once again, pose is everything.

i always wondered why no modder tried to correct the pose or make animations similar to the ones in AvP '99. it seems like a logical thing to do.

Because AVP2 .abc models were a pain in the ass.
You had to export it to a very very very old version of 3DS Max and while converting it you would have LOOSE EVERY INFOS such as Bones, rigging stuff, UV MAP etc.
Which in a manner means you had to redo the whole bones & rigging stuff plus 300 animations pose.
But because you would have redo everything and would not have place it at the exact nanometer you would have had to re-code the whole source code to make it works properly plus the attributes.
And by doing so when processing the source code to make the .lot & .dll files you could have had many errors resulting into crash in games.

It is a titan works and nobody succeed because make an entirely new game would have been easier.  ::)
People have tried and all noticed they couldn't because this would have need about one full year of works for just changing ONE model.

Completely useless.

chupacabras acheronsis

wonder how did they make the game in the first place like that.

WinterActual

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 07, 2012, 03:03:56 PM
They used very crappy engine ;)

The Runner

The Runners in AVP2 when they ran looked like they were humping the floor.

WinterActual

They were indeed.

Deathly_rYaN

Quote from: The Runner on Apr 07, 2012, 05:07:39 PM
The Runners in AVP2 when they ran looked like they were humping the floor.

Why you making fun of the runner, that's because they....well yea never mind they humped the floor, ceilings and walls for over 12 years now XD lol

Le Celticant

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 07, 2012, 03:03:56 PM

Because they had the right plugin that never got release and they had also the source of the models as 3ds files.
They haven't release it which is why nobody tried to modify a model unless using the attributes thing as seen in Balistic from Herr_Alien.
Though, there were some POV models made in time such as the single blade in Projam, the Shuriken, etc. but those models required only a few animations and few bones to be code.
And it was already tough work to do  :D

Happily, engine have grown nowadays in a very flexible way and UDK is probably the best for it because no matter what software you use, there are hundreds of plugins to convert files, import nodes, etc.
If A:CM gets a SDK, modable community will have unlimited power over the game and could do everything you want even if it is Godzilla running into Hadley's hope kicking ass.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed