Aliens: Fireteam Elite Year 1 Roadmap Released!

Started by Hemi, Oct 27, 2021, 05:07:07 PM

Author
Aliens: Fireteam Elite Year 1 Roadmap Released! (Read 12,493 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Nice. New Game Mode sounds like it could be promising. Hopefully something randomized or dare I hope.... PvP?

I wonder what these "New Features" are about....

May 22, 2022, 09:33:57 AM

I'm guessing since it's seasonal, we'll get this in December, but then we have to wonder how many will be still playing to notice by then?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 27, 2021, 05:24:49 PM
I'm guessing since it's seasonal, we'll get this in December, but then we have to wonder how many will be still playing to notice by then?

Take it from me, PC players have much shorter attention spans. We have way more games to play. But we do come back quickly when there is substantive new content. Steam Holiday sales are also massive, and a lot of Steam players will do most of their purchases and plenty of digital gifting during this time. Hopefully Season 2 brings it strong for that Holiday appeal.

Steam activity on its own isn't a great indicator of overall activity in a game. I mean just look at Predator: Hunting Grounds...

https://steamcharts.com/app/1556200

Which is why it was pretty misleading for Kotaku to run that piece.

This game released cross generationally on PlayStation and Xbox, so the majority of players will be on consoles.

One thing is for sure, the game could really use crossplay.

No mention of any new campaign content is quite disheartening for me personally though.

Crazy Rich

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 27, 2021, 05:24:49 PM

Fireteam hasn't even really been on my mind for 2022 as I've been more fixated in stuff like Monster Hunter Rise (PC), the full release of Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord and Company of Heroes 3.

They would have to pull some spectacular amounts of new content out of nowhere and also greatly improve the matchmaking to get me back on board and I kinda don't see that happening especially when the roadmap talks a whole lot about a whole bunch of new weapons, cards and cosmetics... which just tells me their priorities are poor.

Still Collating...

The priorities are very bad IMO. We don't need new weapons, we need great matchmaking changes, crossplay. The new game modes are nice, but what about more horde mode maps? And we don't need a new class, nor new perks and I doubt they can make cool enough challenge cards. Maybe one that replaces the runners with Warrior skins and stuff.

No new campaigns? Well that's horrible... And again with them being super vague. What the hell is "a new feature" supposed to be. They need to be more specific and transparent. Just like with their vague updates, "stability fixes" doesn't mean anything. Predator Hunting Grounds explains their updates with much more detail.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 27, 2021, 07:18:10 PM
Predator Hunting Grounds explains their updates with much more detail.

I mean... they don't explain their updates until the day of release really. Illfonic's forums are full of users griping about lack of engagement or transparency with their community.

Mind you I don't blame Illfonic for that and I love them as a developer. They have a massive publisher and IP holder to deal with so it takes extra time to get everything agreed upon and their hands are somewhat tied. Cold Iron probably gets a bit more leeway with self-publishing.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 27, 2021, 06:06:02 PM
Steam activity on its own isn't a great indicator of overall activity in a game. I mean just look at Predator: Hunting Grounds...

https://i.imgur.com/8CC3L0B.jpg

https://steamcharts.com/app/1556200

Which is why it was pretty misleading for Kotaku to run that piece.

Actually, it's pretty misleading to compare "Aliens: Fireteam Elite" on Steam to "Predator: Hunting Grounds" on Steam to be honest.

"Predator: Hunting Grounds" was exclusively released for PC on Epic Games for an entire year. Meaning, PC players could not purchase the game through Steam when it came out.

Only 1 Full Year later, 12 months after launch, could Illfonic post "Predator: Hunting Grounds" on Steam with little-to-no press or fanfare. By then, the overwhelmingly majority of PC players who wanted to play "Predator: Hunting Grounds "already bought "Predator: Hunting Grounds" through Epic... and would hardly have interest to start entirely over at Level 1 on their same PC a year later, with nothing unlocked and a new need to re-purchase the DLC content.

So to compare that to Aliens: Fireteam Elite's vast first month drop is just looney!

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Those are of course factors to consider, and I made that very argument when people pointed out the low initial Steam numbers of Hunting Grounds in the game's defense.

But I wasn't so much trying to make a comparison as much point out how it's unfair to use just Steam as a diagnosis for the health of a game's player-base, when the vast majority of both games' audiences are on console.

Still Collating...

A:CM had a longer lived player base on PC, these games always did well on PC before. AVP is still possible to find matches on PC cause of the servers. You easily see if there's anyone there or not. And you don't waste 10 minutes trying to find a match cause of that like I just did for Fireteam Elite... Even AVP2 still has matches cause of the clarity that servers provide. Predator Hunting Grounds is P2P, but crossplay helps in finding matches and PVP makes it more engaging. A:CM was also just PVP with no crossplay at all, but cause of the PVP and multitude of game modes from the start it was longer lived.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 27, 2021, 08:38:22 PM
Those are of course factors to consider, and I made that very argument when people pointed out the low initial Steam numbers of Hunting Grounds in the game's defense.

But I wasn't so much trying to make a comparison as much point out how it's unfair to use just Steam as a diagnosis for the health of a game's player-base, when the vast majority of both games' audiences are on console.

Hmm. I still don't know how Predator on Steam a year after Epic can put things in any different context or use it to suggest Kotaku is being misleading about Aliens: FTE drop in activity.

But I also personally believe it's not realistic to think this drop in "Aliens: Fireteam Elite" playerbase is exclusively isolated to Steam players only - on an island - and not happening on every format, considering the game's vast problematic issues in maintaining a players interest expressed in complaints on social media, in these very boards and with our friends we play with. That's why as a fan, I was so concerned Cold Iron released this game the way it is; not enough to be a single player experience - not enough to be a replayable online service game. The writing was on the wall truth be told. And it worried me.

Wweyland

Roadmap seems vague and seems no new campaigns or horde maps. I don't really care about new weapons if it isn't something crazy like an APC gun or a mortar.

Samhain13

"New" game mode seems interesting, if its really new then its not extra campaign chapters or more horde maps/modes whatever. An actualy pvp mode ? I won't put much hope in it.

Just way too long between each new content release, we will only get another marine class next year.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Still Collating... on Oct 27, 2021, 08:53:47 PM
A:CM had a longer lived player base on PC, these games always did well on PC before.

ACM actually never matched the peak users of AFE on Steam. That game's activity dropped more than 85% in a month on that platform and never recovered:

https://steamcharts.com/app/49540

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 27, 2021, 08:56:51 PM
Hmm. I still don't know how Predator on Steam a year after Epic can put things in any different context or use it to suggest Kotaku is being misleading about Aliens: FTE drop in activity.

Their headline was "Seven Weeks After Launch, Fewer Than 800 People Are Playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite"

Which is misleading because it doesn't specify that count is only on Steam where a minority of the player-base resides. As for a slowdown on consoles too, sure I'd think plenty are taking a break. But they'll likely be back with new content, as is common. Even games with totally failed launches like The Avengers had a bounce back with new DLC.

Only point I'm really trying to make here is it's premature to declare this as a Dead Gaem. But alas, arguments against such declarations are usually fruitless. Not every game needs constant high levels of concurrent users to have success and a rebound when there's new stuff.

PAS Spinelli

Grug no play game, game dead!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed