Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Feb 25, 2015, 03:32:48 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot (Read 23,613 times)

RakaiThwei

I think the burn out of the franchises and fandom just fizzled even further. You know I've supported the franchises for twenty one years. Twenty one long years. Stuck it through all of the movies-- Predator and Alien combined, AVPs accounted for as well.

Look, I've got nothing bad to say about the movie which was just announced. I liked Blomkamp's District 9 but that's the only movie of his which I had happened to watch. I've heard mixed things about Elysium, some of it good and some of it bad. I'm neutral since I never saw Elysium.

But I agree with SpreadEagleBeagle.. This comes off as nothing more than pandering to fans who have never gotten over that Hicks and Newt were killed off in Alien 3. Seems as if the twenty three years of complaints finally paid off and the current brass at Fox listened. Twenty three years too late. And Alien 3, for all of the undeserved hate it gets, is an unrecognized and unrealized masterpiece which was only hampered by Fox's decisions as a studio-- and now said diamond in the rough is essentially kicked to the curb. Whatever enthusiasm I had for this movie... is lowered.

Will I see it? I don't know.. But I don't think I have anything negative or positive to say. So before anyone jumps on my ass and says I'm shit-canning this movie, I'm not. All I'm saying is, I'm displeased with the decision to retcon or possibly just ignore Alien 3.

For me and my personal canon... Alien 3 is the true sequel to Aliens. All I have to say.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 25, 2015, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 25, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
I always knew Blomkamp was a hack - a very talanted hack when it comes to designs and Hollywood narratives, but a hack nonetheless. This retcon/reboot thing confirms it.

Trying to eradicate the saving grace of the Alien(s) movies (talking about A3) just to pave the way for uninspiring ALIENS clones is downright sad and disheartening. Movie industry is so lazy and cheap these days. Fortunately for them, ALIENS fans don't care as long as they get their dose of pulse rifles, cannon fodder aliens, mech warriors, colonial marines and of course Hix & N00t!

I'm happy for you guys! Me? Well, this will be the first Alien movie I'm not even remotely interested in watching. Even the AVP movies had me slightly curious. This one? Meh... Reboots/retcons are like a wet blanket.

When is PROMETHEUS 2 supposed to come out btw?

Well let me ask you this:

If ALIENS never got a sequel, and Alien 3 was just finally being made today in 2015, would you have wanted it to go in the direction it did(killing off Hicks, Newt, Bishop, prison planet, etc), or go in a different direction?

Keep it as it is.

A3 is why I'm still bothering with this franchise. ALIEN is a classic, it's a masterpiece on its own with or without the franchise. A3 is the sober reality check of the franchise, making ALIENS tolerable as it is a good segue to the final chapter and perfect "ending" that is A3.

xeno-kaname

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:56:50 PM
But I agree with SpreadEagleBeagle.. This comes off as nothing more than pandering to fans who have never gotten over that Hicks and Newt were killed off in Alien 3. Seems as if the twenty three years of complaints finally paid off and the current brass at Fox listened. Twenty three years too late.

I keep hearing that this is "pandering to the fans." I simply don't believe that. He isn't pandering. It's just his own personal opinion that the movie's should've gone forward im a different way. It's not about what the fans want really. I think he just found a story he really would like to tell with these characters.

I mean seriously how can it be pandering to the fans after 20 YEARS. Sadly, I'm sure a lot of fans from back then have passed away. Never to see this unexpected turn. Obviously the movies create new fans over the years, young and old, but still it has been 20 years. Those new fans are very likely not as vocal as 20 years prior. 

So no I don't think it's pandering. More like revisiting a past idea because the franchise fell short in its later entries.

Rankles75

So f***ing happy if we truly are getting the sequel Aliens deserves. A3 fans will still have their film and will refuse to acknowledge the existence of this film (the way the rest of us have with theirs), and they're perfectly entitled to do so. A3 was a kick in the nuts for many of us who loved the first two films and the characters who survived them, and I'll be chuffed as nuts to have another film to give their stories what we would see as proper closure...

GQSioux

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 25, 2015, 10:24:39 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Feb 25, 2015, 08:56:50 PM
But I agree with SpreadEagleBeagle.. This comes off as nothing more than pandering to fans who have never gotten over that Hicks and Newt were killed off in Alien 3. Seems as if the twenty three years of complaints finally paid off and the current brass at Fox listened. Twenty three years too late.

I keep hearing that this is "pandering to the fans." I simply don't believe that. He isn't pandering. It's just his own personal opinion that the movie's should've gone forward im a different way. It's not about what the fans want really. I think he just found a story he really would like to tell with these characters.

I mean seriously how can it be pandering to the fans after 20 YEARS. Sadly, I'm sure a lot of fans from back then have passed away. Never to see this unexpected turn. Obviously the movies create new fans over the years, young and old, but still it has been 20 years. Those new fans are very likely not as vocal as 20 years prior. 

So no I don't think it's pandering. More like revisiting a past idea because the franchise fell short in its later entries.

LOL!!!! "Sadly, I'm sure a lot of those fans from back then have passed away??" Really? Geez. Aliens was one of my first theater experiences, and I just turned 36. People who I know that are diehards, who saw Alien in theaters at a young age, are still alive and kicking in their mid-40s.

xeno-kaname

^I'm not saying it's a significant number per se. I was just using it as a reference to the age of the movie. As a thought provoker. Pretty sure it's not even near the majority just a small number. But for the sake of perspective I mentioned it.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 25, 2015, 06:49:50 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 06:37:26 PM
If I had to guess, I'd put money on 2018. It only took two years after Elysium for Chappie to release, but Chappie is a much smaller movie and was more heavily in pre-production during Elysium's post than this seems to be.

Whatever release plan Fox has for Prometheus 2 is bound to factor in to this as well.

The good news here though is that a lot of the hard work has already been done!

How so? There's a story outline, but we have no clue if there's a script. There's a bit of concept art, but that's from a while ago and I'm sure he didn't have the entire film designed before ever even knowing for sure if it was going to happen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed