Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 73,972 times)

Kane's other son

Covenant did just OK because it was marketed as yet another alien movie and was seen as a retread. So, I don't think the way to move forward is to make another movie that will appear to be more of the same.

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: Russ on Dec 28, 2017, 11:57:20 AM

I think an Alien 5 that had the characters from Aliens in it could ride a hefty nostalgia wave in the same way that Star Wars did (people were going mental about Han Solo in the first one). Conversely, it didn't quite work out for the Terminator!

But these few images from NB have garnered massive traction - I'm not sure we can discount Rippers and Hicks NOT being part of that ground-swell.

The difference is this, no one of those characters nor Han, Leia or Luke died in the old movies. Newt, Hicks and Ripley died in the original trilogy, end of the story, Disney didn't revive Obi-Wan or Darth Vader because "fans wanted". Even nostalgia got his limits.

And Ripley was not revive in Alien 4, was a clone called Ripley8, the real Ripley died in Fiorina "Fury" 161.

Russ

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 28, 2017, 03:35:46 PM
The difference is this, no one of those characters nor Han, Leia or Luke died in the old movies. Newt, Hicks and Ripley died in the original trilogy, end of the story, Disney didn't revive Obi-Wan or Darth Vader because "fans wanted". Even nostalgia got his limits.

And Ripley was not revive in Alien 4, was a clone called Ripley8, the real Ripley died in Fiorina "Fury" 161.

Yeah, and I specifically request that we don't turn this into yet another discussion on the merits of a retcon.

Quote from: Russ on Dec 28, 2017, 08:42:34 AM
But isn't the major hook of NB's concept that Rippers and Hicks return (whatever we personally think of that idea - we know that there's strong feelings on retconning / not retconning).

Quote from: Russ on Dec 28, 2017, 11:57:20 AM
And I think - despite the arguments about retcons (please, I'm not wanting to start that off again - let's just say some are for it and some aren't on these boards) there is sometimes (dare I say) a substantial dollar value to bringing back beloved characters if done well.

NB's artwork featured those characters - its reasonable to assume that they would appear in a version that he wrote.

Stitch

The only way I could see Blomkamp's ideas working are if it's set after Resurrection. Hicks appears in a flashback, or Being is playing a descendent (just like Lance Henriksen does all the time). Ripley with the Alien suit is actually a mutation which is caused by her hybrid status.

The drop ship shows that it's set in the same time frame as Aliens, though, which discounts that idea. Seems like a rehash of Aliens, which would divide the audience.

Then again, it could combine with the prequels and David got lost for centuries with his new biotechnology and is only found by chance. Sounds a bit like a rehash of Covenant.

I can't think of a good way it could work.

Russ

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 28, 2017, 04:48:03 PM
I can't think of a good way it could work.

There isn't really a good way to make it work.

But I've always thought the most expedient and canon way is a hypersleep-dream handwave. No one really likes it, but as I say, its established - from novels and now from Prometheus that we have the extremely lucid dreams in the old freezerinos.

You could literally show this in a few shots and it answers all the issues in one fell swoop. Sure, there's the Bobby Euwing / Dallas jokes, but hypersleep dreams weren't a big part of life on SouthFork whereas they are in AlienVerseLand. I recall in the beginning of Prometheus, they were used in a big scene with Noomi Rapace's character (and her dad, I think. I'm gonna watch it again tonight).

As I say - it's not brilliant, but it's established canon and probably the least convoluted way of doing it without wormholes or clones and stuff like that (for me at any rate. I can't think of a better way than this)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Dec 28, 2017, 02:35:15 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 27, 2017, 09:57:15 PM
But yeah, the guy makes bad movies cause I don't likes his Alien movie proposal.

I saw them. They were bad.

Your personal opinion doesn't matter. Neither does mine. Which is why I gave both audience and professional critic consensus scores. It's the only reasonable way to measure a film's quality.

I'm just posting the facts here. Not my problem if most of the world doesn't agree with you.

Quote from: Beatnation on Dec 27, 2017, 11:12:32 PM
You know anyone an vote IMDB and RT Audience Score right?, those aren't valid metrics for qualify his movies:

Which is why I quoted both critic and audience scores, professor.

But how about those guys at the Academy and Golden Globes? Are they "valid metrics for qualify his movies"[sic]?

LiquidMonster

Love Neill and I'm pretty sure he browses here quite often. Hey Neill!  ;D

This is an ace move by him. Much like he did with the original ALIEN 5 "leak", I have no doubts he's leaking this artwork out to get the fans talking about the movie again with the hopes Disney picks up on it.

It seems to me that the "ALIEN" fanbase is split between two polar opposites. Support/make ALIEN 5 and never make/support ALIEN 5.

If just this one time we could come together as a united ALIEN fanbase and throw our support behind ALIEN 5, it not only would bring back fan favorites Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop(I'm highly confident Lance will star if given the chance) but remember, it would give Disney a "safer" entry into making their own ALIEN films. What better way to do this than make what pretty much everyone is calling ALIENS 2(sequel to one of the best movies ever made?).

I don't think Disney will pick a very cerebral Ridley Scott directed "Alien: Awakening" over a pretty much guaranteed hit in a Neill Blomkamp ALIENS sequel-ALIEN 5.

Disney will not want to foul up the franchise if you will and if they're smart, they could work with Neill in making ALIEN 5 a catalyst for a new series of ALIEN films with NEWT as our new heroine.

What we don't want as fans is Disney thinking there's not enough support for ALIEN 5 and not having confidence in Ridley thus the ALIEN films go on extended hiatus(I'm talking multiple years).

So I ask that fans kindly tweet support for ALIEN 5 to Disney/Pixar and Walt Disney Studios, along with Neill Blomkamp, Michael Biehn, Lance Henrickson and Carrie Henn(who all have actual Twitter accounts btw).

Keep the Alien films alive....support ALIEN 5!!

Gash

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Dec 28, 2017, 05:40:04 PM

This is an ace move by him. Much like he did with the original ALIEN 5 "leak", I have no doubts he's leaking this artwork out to get the fans talking about the movie again with the hopes Disney picks up on it.

It seems to me that the "ALIEN" fanbase is split between two polar opposites. Support/make ALIEN 5 and never make/support ALIEN 5.

If just this one time we could come together as a united ALIEN fanbase and throw our support behind ALIEN 5, it not only would bring back fan favorites Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop(I'm highly confident Lance will star if given the chance) but remember, it would give Disney a "safer" entry into making their own ALIEN films. What better way to do this than make what pretty much everyone is calling ALIENS 2(sequel to one of the best movies ever made?).

I don't think Disney will pick a very cerebral Ridley Scott directed "Alien: Awakening" over a pretty much guaranteed hit in a Neill Blomkamp ALIENS sequel-ALIEN 5.

Disney will not want to foul up the franchise if you will and if they're smart, they could work with Neill in making ALIEN 5 a catalyst for a new series of ALIEN films with NEWT as our new heroine.

What we don't want as fans is Disney thinking there's not enough support for ALIEN 5 and not having confidence in Ridley thus the ALIEN films go on extended hiatus(I'm talking multiple years).

So I ask that fans kindly tweet support for ALIEN 5 to Disney/Pixar and Walt Disney Studios, along with Neill Blomkamp, Michael Biehn, Lance Henrickson and Carrie Henn(who all have actual Twitter accounts btw).

Everything I could never want from an Alien film right there.

skhellter

given that Ridley was the one that killed this film's production....

i wouldnt put it past Blomkamp to erase prometheus and covenant from the canon, too  :laugh:

Stitch

I don't want Ripley back. Nor do I want Hicks and Newt.

Maybe a continuation of the Ripley8 story, but not Ellen Ripley. She died on Fiorina 161, and the others died in the crash.

N-Shifter

Some of the responses here are mind blowing - we've been getting trash movies for nearly 30 years yet everyone is so against giving someone else a go? It's just "nope, nope, NOPE" - this Alien fandom is about as divided a community as I've ever come across, nobody agrees on anything lol

Jenga

I wish we could just get a good final Alien film WITH Ripley. Sigourney is still aging remarkably well and she could still look and feel like Ripley. We need a better way to close out the original Alien franchise than Alien Resurrection. This is the same reason why I'm glad they're making one last Indiana Jones (5): We need a better close out to the original series than Crystal Skull.

OpenMaw

I don't know. Every time I've ever tried to think of a good story for Ripley 8 to end on... I got nothing. It just isn't a very lucrative avenue for the series. Mostly, in that case I think it's because I never cared about Ripley 8 anyway. The entire design of that universe seen in Resurrection doesn't really work for me either. The best it ever got was the PS1 game. 

Beatnation

Beatnation

Quote from: Stitch on Dec 28, 2017, 08:44:54 PM

I don't want Ripley back. Nor do I want Hicks and Newt.

Maybe a continuation of the Ripley8 story, but not Ellen Ripley. She died on Fiorina 161, and the others died in the crash.

Agree.

Quote from: Jenga on Dec 28, 2017, 08:55:04 PM
I wish we could just get a good final Alien film WITH Ripley. Sigourney is still aging remarkably well and she could still look and feel like Ripley. We need a better way to close out the original Alien franchise than Alien Resurrection. This is the same reason why I'm glad they're making one last Indiana Jones (5): We need a better close out to the original series than Crystal Skull.

Indiana didn't die in The Last Crusade or in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he's pretty much alive, Ripley died in Fiorina "Fury" 161, her story it's done, get over it.

JungleHunter87

I personally don't care either way in regards to whether or not Blomkamp's Story has Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop. I'm far more interested in what his film could be as opposed to the direction the David 8 line of films are headed. So, I hope Disney or FOX take notice again and green light something! Even it's just an animated feature or comic series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed