[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,102 times)

Voodoo Magic

You think this Sasquatch idea would play into the whole surprise-its-a-predator-film original Dan Trachtenberg marketing ploy, where audiences would have no idea Skulls is a Predator movie. The trailer screams a native American monster movie... Comanche warriors dealing with some sort of Wendigo... but as expertly said in this Predator 2 trailer... as bad as things are, they are about to get worse! Much worse.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on May 15, 2021, 05:48:03 AM
Heh, this reminds me of one story that did pull a bait and switch like that. In the Predator If it Bleeds novel, during Hurricane Katrina, a Predator was on the hunt for the Louisiana equivalent of a werewolf so yeah, I'd be down for Space Hunter vs Forest Big monke.

I didn't love the execution of the story, but I sure loved the setting and concept! :)

Master

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 15, 2021, 07:53:56 PM
You think this Sasquatch idea would play into the whole surprise-its-a-predator-film original Dan Trachtenberg marketing ploy, where audiences would have no idea Skulls is a Predator movie. The trailer screams a native American monster movie... Comanche warriors dealing with some sort of Wendigo... but as expertly said in this Predator 2 trailer... as bad as things are, they are about to get worse! Much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLe_1SheJms

Heh, this reminds me of one story that did pull a bait and switch like that. In the Predator If it Bleeds novel, during Hurricane Katrina, a Predator was on the hunt for the Louisiana equivalent of a werewolf so yeah, I'd be down for Space Hunter vs Forest Big monke.

I didn't love the execution of the story, but I sure loved the setting and concept! :)

Rather the other way around. Comanche thinks the invisible hunter came for them, but then surprise, surprise he came here for Sasquatch living in forest! Comanche were just appetiser!

But I guess your plot twist sounds better then mine.

BlueMarsalis79

BigDaddyJohn

BlueMarsalis79

Kradan

Quote from: Master on May 15, 2021, 06:24:44 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 15, 2021, 02:10:53 AM
Ha! Love it!

Well that does it. Posting a pic like that makes me more than certain now that it's for something else, but the Predator hunting a Sasquatch idea would have been so cool. You just had to tease me Dane for having a Predator in the background and for Dan & Alec to be following you!  :D

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 14, 2021, 09:48:11 PM
The predator seem to be losing here  :laugh:

What?! The Predator has Bigfoot right where he wants him!!!  ;)

What makes it cool, there would've have been a real plot twist since P1/P2.

Ok, I can see the twist in the original being "Oh shit, they're hunted by an alien !" but I don't recall any big twists from the second one

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Can you imagine this being like Prometheus? A movie called Skulls that is mostly about a Comanche ritual passage, which involves hunting a cryptid creature, until the Predator appears late in the plot. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'd be curious about the reactions of casual viewers.  :laugh:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ffilmschoolrejects.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F10%2Fprimal-rage.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Wow love that shot.  :o

Actually I love creatures with skull-like features in their faces, even when it's natural and not an ornament, like that wooden mask created by that sentient ape.  ;D

Spoiler

[close]

Edit-~

I hadn't seen that post until now. I think you said it better.

SuperiorIronman

As cool as it is I'm not sure where we'd draw the line and say Predator couldn't hunt Nessie, a zombie, or a ghost. It'd be awesome but I'm not entirely sold on it.

But how the Hell would we know more about a cryptid than a 7 foot tall monster that carries a tactical nuke? Outside sasquatch being an alien in this hypothetical I don't know how you sell that. I think you'd have an easier time explaining it like it's a Predator that is Big foot than to try to explain where the big ape man came from.

Master

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2021, 06:10:09 PM
Quote from: Master on May 15, 2021, 06:24:44 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 15, 2021, 02:10:53 AM
Ha! Love it!

Well that does it. Posting a pic like that makes me more than certain now that it's for something else, but the Predator hunting a Sasquatch idea would have been so cool. You just had to tease me Dane for having a Predator in the background and for Dan & Alec to be following you!  :D

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on May 14, 2021, 09:48:11 PM
The predator seem to be losing here  :laugh:

What?! The Predator has Bigfoot right where he wants him!!!  ;)

What makes it cool, there would've have been a real plot twist since P1/P2.

Ok, I can see the twist in the original being "Oh shit, they're hunted by an alien !" but I don't recall any big twists from the second one

Maybe not twist, but the great reveal of P2 was whole troophy wall and clan in ending. The idea we are not the only ones being hunted.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 16, 2021, 06:50:42 PM
Can you imagine this being like Prometheus? A movie called Skulls that is mostly about a Comanche ritual passage, which involves hunting a cryptid creature, until the Predator appears late in the plot. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I'd be curious about the reactions of casual viewers.  :laugh:

I hadn't seen that post until now. I think you said it better.

I like your setup too. And I love this approach where the Comanche calls it the ghost, or the demon, or perhaps one of their pre-existing names for a spiritual or mythological creature already in their vernacular. And the trailer presents it the same way to the audience and like Prometheus, there's no indication to the casual potential viewer that it's a Predator film.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on May 16, 2021, 09:10:59 PM
As cool as it is I'm not sure where we'd draw the line and say Predator couldn't hunt Nessie, a zombie, or a ghost. It'd be awesome but I'm not entirely sold on it.

I'm not sure why a Predator would hunt a zombie - where's the sport in that - or how a Predator could hunt a ghost?? So I think we can absolutely draw a line there. :)

QuoteBut how the Hell would we know more about a cryptid than a 7 foot tall monster that carries a tactical nuke? Outside sasquatch being an alien in this hypothetical I don't know how you sell that. I think you'd have an easier time explaining it like it's a Predator that is Big foot than to try to explain where the big ape man came from.

I don't think the Comanche would know more about Predators versus Wendigos or Yetis. And regardless of the Native American and European settlers' historical accounts of encountering these creatures (if we believe it or not), I personally think because of this "history", audiences will not require a single stretch of imagination to believe Wendigos had an actual presence or more of a presence in the 17th century wilderness.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 16, 2021, 10:17:52 PM
I'm not sure why a Predator would hunt a zombie - where's the sport in that - or how a Predator could hunt a ghost?? So I think we can absolutely draw a line there. :)

If there was one thing I always wanted to see on other media, is having Predators tackle the supernatural realm. I always wondered how would it fair against vampires like in the ones in 30 Days of Night, or its thought on a ghost? Do Predators even know about the concept of ghosts or even encountered a zombie before? How about a werewolf? All this crazy stuff in Earth, like as if Earth was the Australia of the Milky Way galaxy  :laugh:

Its also one of the reasons why I liked the line of Mortal Kombat X "Some possessed a power unknown to the Predator's race: Sorcery." There is so much potential in that line, I would love to see something of Predators in a supernatural situation.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on May 16, 2021, 06:50:42 PM

There is a part of me that knows it would most likely fail if done this route but also I would say if Sasquatch was introduced in a manner like in the film Primal Rage (2018) where its just as dangerous as the Predator itself, it could be entertaining enough to let it slide. I mean Godzilla vs Kong had its writing issues when you see it twice but goddamm was it just a great pretty film of big monkey punch big lizard. Especially seeing how people demanded more Monsterverse, studio and writers are happy with the positive feedback. So if done right, big forest monke vs big space alien hunter can be epic.  Here is a scene from the film to get how brutal the interpretation of Sasquatch is and how it could a good fight for the Predator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gK9wxWjTnM&t=2s

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on May 17, 2021, 12:55:00 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 16, 2021, 10:17:52 PM

If there was one thing I always wanted to see on other media, is having Predators tackle the supernatural realm. I always wondered how would it fair against vampires like in the ones in 30 Days of Night, or its thought on a ghost? Do Predators even know about the concept of ghosts or even encountered a zombie before? How about a werewolf? All this crazy stuff in Earth, like as if Earth was the Australia of the Milky Way galaxy  :laugh:

Its also one of the reasons why I liked the line of Mortal Kombat X "Some possessed a power unknown to the Predator's race: Sorcery." There is so much potential in that line, I would love to see something of Predators in a supernatural situation.

I can imagine someone like the Shaman Lost Predator not only understanding the concept of a ghost, but a believer of guardian spirits and faith in religion... perhaps even a communicator to the spirit world and to the souls of ancient ancestors.

In regards to Predator Sorcery, to me, that would need to be administered with a very subtle hand. I would be okay with it being similar to old Native American Mysticism full of visions, dreams, incantations of protection and warding off evil spirits... but casting fireballs etc.? No thanks. ;D

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 17, 2021, 02:13:29 PM
I can imagine someone like the Shaman Lost Predator not only understanding the concept of a ghost, but a believer of guardian spirits and faith in religion... perhaps even a communicator to the spirit world and to the souls of ancient ancestors.
I can see that, after all thats the usually the role of a shaman.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 17, 2021, 02:13:29 PM
In regards to Predator Sorcery, to me, that would need to be administered with a very subtle hand. I would be okay with it being similar to old Native American Mysticism full of visions, dreams, incantations of protection and warding off evil spirits... but casting fireballs etc.? No thanks. ;D

I was thinking more of Predators hunting sorcerers, witches, or wizards and encountering magic for the first time. Ohhhh geez the idea of Predators launching fireballs, as if there isn't enough trouble dealing invisable aliens with plasmacaster shots from afar the trees.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Ah, I must have misinterpreted that then.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed