The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 62,561 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 22, 2019, 03:41:37 AM
When you say "where to start", do you mean in terms of playing the tabletop game, or the lore, or...?

You should check out 40K lore channels online.  Personally, I think 40K Theories are the best.  Also, if it's in your area, go to a local Games Workshop and ask around about the various factions, lore, play style.  You can also browse around and see if any of the armies look interesting to you.  The lore is amazing, and the Black Library website is a great place to start looking into it, but the game is also quite fun.  If you to start relatively cheaply, get the Kill Team core rule book and buy a small pack or two of models.  Kill Team is a great way to play the game without having to invest alot.

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

The content of the upcoming Shadowspear box is revealed:

Chaos stuff looks great but the Primaris get more and more ridiculous.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Some recent-ish additions to my swarm, a retro-Tyrant and more warriors:

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Nice work on your nids.

Absolutely love the 3rd edition tyrant. Good idea to put the carnifex's claws on him, It looks great.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Thanks man. They're actually the slightly smaller Tyrant Guard claws, the 'fex ones didn't fit. I mostly play an older edition so they get used as a second pair of scythes but can also pull monstrous rending claw duty in 8th.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Nice neat highlights there, and the bases look very appropriate.

Funny that 3rd Ed counts as the classic Hive Tyrant now. But yeah, I guess it is, given that they surprisingly basically reprised the original model for the modern version. I wish they'd do the same for the Carnifex - the current model is cool, but the original screaming ragequit crab was one of WH40k's most iconic designs.

I also liked the way that most of the 2nd Ed Tyranids were clearly based on the Warrior or Termagant bodyplan, and the fiction spelt that out too. You could see the evolution in action.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

I've got a couple of the OG tyrants too, but i need to build some tall as f**k bases for them to bring them up to acceptable LOS profiles.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wanna see some really disgusting Plague Marines.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 07, 2019, 02:56:52 AM
I wanna see some really disgusting Plague Marines.

The current models out are actually pretty visceral, and do capture what Nurgle is all about:

Also, last night finally finished organizing my Khorne Daemon army list:

Warlord Battalion:
Daemon Prince of Chaos with Malefic talons [HQ] [Warlord] (Mark of Khorne) (Trait: Oblivious to Pain) (Artefact – Armour of Scorn)
Herald (Bloodmaster) [HQ]
Blood Throne [HQ] (Artefact – Crimson Crown)
Soul Grinder [Heavy Support] (Mark of Khorne)
1 x 30 Bloodletters (with Banner of Blood/Icon and Instrument of Chaos)
1 x 10 Bloodletters

Winged Daemon Prince Battalion:
Daemon Prince with Wings, Daemonic axe, and one set of talons [HQ] (Mark of Khorne) (Artefact – Skull Reaver)
Karanak [HQ]
Skull Cannon [Heavy Support]
1 x 10 Bloodletters
1 x 10 Bloodletters
1 x 15 Bloodletters

Skulltaker Battalion:
Skulltaker [HQ]
Daemon Prince of Chaos with Malefic talons [HQ] (Mark of Khorne)
Skull Cannon [Heavy Support]
1 x 20 Bloodletters
1 x 10 Bloodletters
1 x 10 Bloodletters

Total points: 1997
Command points (original): 18
Command points (remaining after artefacts and Blood Banner): 14

I was thinking of putting in my Bloodthirster of Unfettered Fury, but since they tend to be magnets for enemy firepower, I ditched it and put in another Daemon Prince (which in some ways is better than a BT) and more Bloodletters.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Kurgan on Mar 04, 2019, 07:16:00 PM
Chaos stuff looks great but the Primaris get more and more ridiculous.

What's wrong with the Primaris?  ???

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

They're not for everyone, and i can see why. I like (nearly) all the primaris releases so far, but i'm also the type to convert nearly everything so i see the potential in them rather than being satisfied with the base models.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Do you just mean the models or the concept?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

And since we're on the subject of conversions, here's two of my biovores and some primaris/truescale:

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 07, 2019, 06:37:53 AM
Do you just mean the models or the concept?

I mean the models. I like em but i get why some don't. The concept is a cop-out rather than just going truescale but i'm not like, mad about it or anything. I don't care what they do to the marine factions fluff-wise.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Got any primarchs?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

None of the ones i like have been released yet (40k), and 30k is a rabbit hole i can't afford to go down. One of my regular opponents has both Morty and Maggy though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed