The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette

Started by puscyfer, Apr 12, 2017, 06:16:23 AM

Author
The Next Chapter - New Alien: Covenant Featurette (Read 41,284 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 13, 2017, 05:03:34 PMI need to listen to this with better speakers, but I think it's just a Weaver sound-alike.

Maybe what's her-face who played Ripley in the Out of the Shadows audio drama? She sounded scarily like Weaver.

lv_226

Quote from: cliffhanger on Apr 13, 2017, 05:44:27 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 13, 2017, 05:03:34 PM
I need to listen to this with better speakers, but I think it's just a Weaver sound-alike.

it's 100% Sigourney Weaver. Which i like, and then at the same time, don't like for obvious reasons.
Is it too much?

426Buddy

426Buddy

If it is Weaver it's different enough that it shouldn't be a distraction.

SpeedyMaxx

Still don't think it's her. I'd know that voice anywhere (or not).

echobbase79

It's good to see Walter appears to be a good guy, judging by him helping Daniels and Tennessee search for the xeno back on the Covenant.

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Quote from: lv_226 on Apr 13, 2017, 06:51:43 PM
Quote from: cliffhanger on Apr 13, 2017, 05:44:27 PM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 13, 2017, 05:03:34 PM
I need to listen to this with better speakers, but I think it's just a Weaver sound-alike.

it's 100% Sigourney Weaver. Which i like, and then at the same time, don't like for obvious reasons.
Is it too much?

I like Weaver voicing, as the character has so much legacy in the movie, and she somewhat 'belongs' in the series, and it's above awesome she is able to work with Ridley. Nostalgic-wise, it's off the charts.

but if we step aside from that 'weaverfanboism', then it's not so great at all.

First of all, her voice is too recognisable. Even if she's older and trying to sound a tad different, and a bit computerized, i can distinctly hear her voice being 'muther'. That's strike A > Muther had a different voice, and then, Weaver actually communicated as Ripley with Muther in Alien. So that somehow makes her communicate to her own voice. which is just lunatic. B > The same 'huge' character from a total of 4 movies also has to voice in and be part of prologues to Alien, when the reality is she is already born in the Covenant movie.

There has been talk and rumour of Weaver getting somehow involved with the movie, then there were some more mentions of that and there were some rumours that she would be voicing muthur, and now all of a sudden we actually hear 'muther' aboard the covenant calling for david in a clear distinguishable Weaver voice. It's Weaver 100%.

also, mentioned in the other thread, and possibly posted in the wrong thread;

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3432056/new-featurette-reveals-ripleys-connection-alien-covenant/

i don't like the idea of ripley voicing 'muthur' in this mention. it's dumb beyond words. but again, it's too obvious that it's weaver.

NickisSmart

My thoughts on the matter:

SM

QuoteMuther had a different voice, and then, Weaver actually communicated as Ripley with Muther in Alien. So that somehow makes her communicate to her own voice. which is just lunatic.

What?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 04:42:43 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 04:23:42 AM
There's a difference between not bad-mouthing something and actively upholding it as an example of what he considers to be scary. This potentially has direct consequences for the direction of this new film. The concern has always been that this sequel might simply give us more of the same, rather than acknowledging the predecessor's flaws and trying to correct/improve upon them.

That's just not what 90% of major studio filmmakers do with films like this. Prometheus was flawed but it wasn't Plan 9.

I personally am skeptical about the film on some levels and don't think Covenant is likely to be the greatest thing since sliced bread myself, but I can recognize when you're putting an undue and unrealistic expectation on a commercial filmmaker in their PR blitz. It's simply not realistic to expect a major filmmaker to go out there on the press junket when he did the last one as well and say 'I want angry nerds to know I have heard them and I apologize.' He's not a politician caught in a sex scandal. A studio wouldn't allow that. What you're talking about does not generally happen except in select cases.

Again, nobody's saying he needs to publically apologise. There's a difference between that and effectively saying, 'I still regard this earlier thing as a superb example of how to scare audiences.'

This has direct consequences for how this newer film will come across, considering he's repeatedly claiming he'll "scare the shit out of" us quote as before.

It's relatively trivial, but is no less concerning. We know he said on set something like, "They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens..." It came across as spiteful, rather than doing it because he has a passion for them.

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 13, 2017, 03:44:05 PM
You must be nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. How is it obvious cgi? Because you know neomorphs dont actually exist? Obvious cgi would be Malabolgia from the Spawn movie. The cgi in this, even if unfinished during these clips, will be top of the line

Locusta knows what he's talking about. He's not only a professional CGI artist, but was responsible for the creature art in the recent 'Weyland-Yutani Report' book.

And, going by those still images, I'd have to agree. It won't necessarily matter if their split-second fleeting glimpses, but if it's an indication of how they'll look in all scenes, they could very easily cause an 'uncanny valley' effect. It all depends on if there has been much post-production work on them.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 10:21:31 PM
Again, nobody's saying he needs to publically apologise. There's a difference between that and effectively saying, "I still regard this earlier thiing as a superb example of how to scare audiences."

I don't think he's saying that. I think you're reading into it your own issues with Prometheus. Which are valid enough to have, but I don't think they have much to do with Ridley Scott daring to say he thinks his previous space horror movie was scary. Of course he's going to say that.

SM

QuoteIt's relatively trivial, but is no less concerning. We know he said on set something like, "They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens..." It came across as spiteful, rather than doing it because he has a passion for them.

What was the context?

motherfather

motherfather

Am I the only one who thinks this trailer (splicing prometheus and covenant together) was the leaked description of a trailer from last year?

I think the guy who leaked it had a buddy who worked as an editor or something. I mean, minus the shower/nudity scene, this pretty much is exactly what was described then before any trailer was ever available.

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 10:21:31 PM
Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 13, 2017, 04:42:43 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 13, 2017, 04:23:42 AM
There's a difference between not bad-mouthing something and actively upholding it as an example of what he considers to be scary. This potentially has direct consequences for the direction of this new film. The concern has always been that this sequel might simply give us more of the same, rather than acknowledging the predecessor's flaws and trying to correct/improve upon them.

That's just not what 90% of major studio filmmakers do with films like this. Prometheus was flawed but it wasn't Plan 9.

I personally am skeptical about the film on some levels and don't think Covenant is likely to be the greatest thing since sliced bread myself, but I can recognize when you're putting an undue and unrealistic expectation on a commercial filmmaker in their PR blitz. It's simply not realistic to expect a major filmmaker to go out there on the press junket when he did the last one as well and say 'I want angry nerds to know I have heard them and I apologize.' He's not a politician caught in a sex scandal. A studio wouldn't allow that. What you're talking about does not generally happen except in select cases.

Again, nobody's saying he needs to publically apologise. There's a difference between that and effectively saying, 'I still regard this earlier thing as a superb example of how to scare audiences.'

This has direct consequences for how this newer film will come across, considering he's repeatedly claiming he'll "scare the shit out of" us quote as before.

It's relatively trivial, but is no less concerning. We know he said on set something like, "They wanted Aliens? I'll give them f**king Aliens..." It came across as spiteful, rather than doing it because he has a passion for them.

Quote from: Ragonk_Force on Apr 13, 2017, 03:44:05 PM
You must be nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. How is it obvious cgi? Because you know neomorphs dont actually exist? Obvious cgi would be Malabolgia from the Spawn movie. The cgi in this, even if unfinished during these clips, will be top of the line

Locusta knows what he's talking about. He's not only a professional CGI artist, but was responsible for the creature art in the recent 'Weyland-Yutani Report' book.

And, going by those still images, I'd have to agree. It won't necessarily matter if their split-second fleeting glimpses, but if it's an indication of how they'll look in all scenes, they could very easily cause an 'uncanny valley' effect. It all depends on if there has been much post-production work on them.

So do I. Keep in mind those stills are of the creature moving very fast and through dark areas, you can hardly tell by those stills if the cgi isnt up to snuff. Im pretty confident the finished film will make everyone happy, at as far as the cgi goes

cliffhanger

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2017, 09:49:07 PM
QuoteMuther had a different voice, and then, Weaver actually communicated as Ripley with Muther in Alien. So that somehow makes her communicate to her own voice. which is just lunatic.

What?

did you read the entire sentance? IF ripley=weaver voiced MUTHER, then she talks to her own voice in alien. After all, MUTHUR in Covenant, MUTHUR in  ALIEN. David communicates with MUTHER (Ripley's Voice), Ripley communicates with MUTHUR. thus, if MUTHUR = ripley, she's essentially talking to her own voice in ALIEN.

what i'm saying is it is stupid that weaver voices muthur.

Necronomicon II

Each ship could have its own muthur though.  :-*

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed